Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T teutonic shifts in hot rodding..or what of crate camaros

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ray, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

if you're an O/T nazi, stop fucking reading!

some of us who keep up with all aspects of cars/hot rodding, may have caught the latest cover of HOT ROD, or the earlier mention a month back, of...brand new, steel 69 camaro bodies. CHEAP. 12 G's for a convert body, minus front clip. yeah to us penny pinchers that ain't cheap, but it's the reality of the hobby when high five figure builds are now the norm, thats cheap for a virgin body...that's what you pay for a deuce roadster body too. now you're saying, "Ray you pinko commie fag, what the fuck does this have to do with trad hot rods?" well that's what i'm asking, what DOES it mean? how will it ultimately affect our corner of the world? they say next up are fastback mustangs and 'cudas. will it draw away gold chainers from street rods? instead of a kit car "30 something" ford blob, will they move on to brand new "kit" muscle cars? is this a sign of our horseshit manufacturing economy, where expensive equipment is sitting idle, allowing more and more projects like this coming to fruitiion at an affordable cost? haven't they skipped right past tri-five chevys in steel? what will be the next unexpected arrival? 60's impalas? 40's or 50's cadillacs? new, internally inproved flathead castings, CHEAP? that C.A.R.S. and others is getting involved in this is saying that hot rodding in general ain't gonna let up any time soon, and will most likely grow much more. this will affect all old cars. will speedway motors be brookville's next competitor in steel bodies? at half the price?

whatchoo think?

2. plan9

plan9

[ QUOTE ]
    Ray you pinko commie fag

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU SAID IT, NOT ME!! hahaha

if this starts pulling people away from OG steel pieces, great! im not sure rich dudes are the ones taking all our goodies.. most people ive seen with rare parts are your everyday person.. not rich by any means, (well, they probably have more dough than you and I)...

repro tri-five chevys have been around awhile, but hasnt lowered the prices of any of the real McCoys.. gues theres something to be said about owning the real deal.

3. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

If the surge in demand for Harley Davidsons means I can pick up a ratty, dropped 1997 sporty for $500 in 2010, then I am super happy.

If this other crap means the same thing, then its good. Real or fake, they're both fun... prolly have more fun with the fake one.

They're gonna take away our internal combustion engines in my lifetime anyway, so its better to have all the fun we can.

4. ray

ray
    from colorado

[ QUOTE ]

They're gonna take away our internal combustion engines in my lifetime anyway, so its better to have all the fun we can.

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't that the truth. many of these guys here would shit themselves if they knew it's nothin for an electric or hybrid car to blow their doors off at a stoplight! they got torque!

5. Mojo

Mojo

It makes sense, parts wise, as it seems they have almost every panel for those things as a reproduction. Friggin rustbuckets. My dad's 69 Firebird (same shell) is rotted 7 ways from tuesday... it's funny as hell where that thing rusted at.

I remember reading in a magazine a few years ago how someone took a rustout 57 Chevy Convertible, and rebuilt it using patch panels. They were able to do over 75% of the car in new metal...

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I read the article in Hot Rod and found it very interesting also. I say it can only be a good thing. A good thing in many ways, for the muscle car guys ( let me add here I owned and drove '67 Camaro every day for 16 years) as well as us hot rod and custom types; because as manufactures see the potential market then they will will be eager to commit their dollars to producing more stuff we will need. (The thing to remember here, is that if you can't do quality body work then it can cost real big dollars to have it done properly by a pro). But they should be savy enough to make stuff that is interchangeable with genuine stuff ( not like some of the Dearaborn Deuce 3 wundow stuff that was discussed in another post a while back. Geoff aka Whdaky

7. '69 Camaro will be the Deuce of the future.You don't have to like it,but thats my bet.