Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T southern california touristy help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveo3002, Sep 1, 2010.

1. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

hey guys

i hope its okay to ask on here :eek:

im traveling to southern california soon from england , we have a few things planned already

what i wanted to ask ..is there any great driving roads within easy reach from orange county ? as in mountains with nice turns and such ?

weve rented a 425hp camaro and id like to stretch its legs :D

will be late oct , will snow be a problem anywhere high?

if you have any suggestions for days out or things to do please post up ...already have all the usual tourist stuff planned :p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  2. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

Ortega highway is south orange county highway that is a twisty mountain road that will take you to Lake Elsinore. No snow there, but any of the other mountains might, like big bear mountain, but they will be a little farther away.

3. the drive up to lake arrowhead and big bear in san bernadino is pretty exciting. not a FAST trip but VERY twisty...

the drive up to wrightwood and beyond (north of los angeles) is a nice one too...

depending on what kind of time you have and how far you wanna go, the coast highway is a GREAT drive. start in santa monica and go north until you dont feel like driving anymore.

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Just northwest of Orange County is the Angeles Crest Highway between La Canada/Flintridge (210 and the 2 interchange) and the Cajon Pass (118 offramp off of the 15)...will take a couple of hours, no snow that time of the year. You can see the desert from one side and the San Gabriel Valley from the other.
    It's a very nice drive...there's only one spot where the road is straight for one mile. The rest is typical mountain twists and turns with one long tunnel.
    It could be driven the day you visit the Petersen or the NHRA Museums....

http://angelescrestscenichighway.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeles_Crest_Highway

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mulholland Drive

6. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I'm guess'in Mulholland Dr. in the hills above LA. It's a legend. No snow. Dean Torrence of "Jan and Dean" was in a terrible wreck up there I believe, "Dead Man's Curve" and all that. But let's see what the locals come up with. I'm sure that they can come up with some good stuff to stretch out that rented Camaro. Be careful though I've heard that some of the rental agencies put accelerometers and GPS tracking devices to discourage that kind of fun.

7. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

The "deadman's curve" from the song was on Sunset. There is a turn known as "Deadmans" on Mulholland, it's the 90 degree left as you are heading west from Laurel, just past Skyline Dr.

Although it's aways from OC, Mulholland Highway going west from Topanga Canyon is pretty good. You can take it all the way to the beach and go past the famous Rock Store. There are nice roads that branch off Mul also like Decker Cyn and Stunt Rd. Just a warning, Mul Hwy is very popular with the motorcycle crowd on the weekends so there is lots of CHP (California Highway Patrol) presence.

8. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

awesome thanks so far guys

knew the HAMB would come up with the goods :)

9. dope54

dope54

let me know if u go to ortega. i might wanna come with

10. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

Yeah, thanks for that correction Beach Bum, Mulholland is legendary, but it's been 40+ years since the song and I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. I never lived down there, and only have bits of stuff from relatives on the Mulholland thing, so I was reading along with the others with interest. I thought it would be Mazooma1 slapping my wrist for the misinformation, but I think his suggestion of the Angeles Crest Highway is a good one also.

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

MUlholland and Topanga canyon/PCH

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Highway 2 is closed a mile north of the 210 freeway until December for construction related to the fire.
    Best way we found was to continue up the 210 freeway & exit at Sunland Ave. Make a right. Go about 1/2 mile & make a left on Oro Vista. Take it to the end- about 1/2 mile & it will bear right & change to Big Tujunga Canyon Road. It will join back up with Angeles Crest Highway 2.
    We did this drive several weeks ago & had a blast. Caution- lots of crazy bikers up there. Go to Newcomb Ranch for lunch.

East side- access off 118 is open. Take the back way up into Wrightwood. Much windier. As soon as you pass under the railroad bridge- make a left on 1st street you see which is Lone Pine Canyon Road. That will dump you into Wrightwood & Highway 2- which is called Big Pines Highway.
    Either way- a great day of driving.
    You'll need a Ferrari or a Cafe Racer to make it end to end in 2 hours though. ;)

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?state=...hway+And+Angeles+Forest+Highway&zipcode=91011

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  13. Don't get excited and forget that we drive on the Right side.

14. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

not a windy road but see how fast you can get to Vegas? My record from the OC is a little under 3hrs, Plenty of straight hiway to open her up!

15. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

If you do the El Cajon Pass thing, why not run over to El Mirage. See where the land speed races take place. Hell, there might even be a race while you're here.

16. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

hmmm never thought about that place ? wiki says i can buy a pass for $15 ...does that mean i can go nuts out there or what

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

El Cajon is 125 miles to the south, you're referring to Cajon Pass, I-15, from Devore to Hesparia.....and on the El Mirage

18. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

Mt baldy is fun off the 210 freeway and the Mt baldy lodge always has a cold brew...

19. BigChief

BigChief

If you get near Huntington Beach the Donut Derilect cruise-in early Saturday mornings at Adams Ave Donuts is fun (or you can hit the anti-Donut cruise-in if you want some breakfast). Ruby's out on the pier is always a cool place to down a burger and a shake at lunch time.

-Bigchief.

20. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

EL MIRAGE, they will be running Oct 24.

21. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    October 24th
    The day I leave for Kauai. :)

22. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I like Silverado Canyon, up Chapman Ave and then a Cooks Corner you make a Left and it takes you to El Toro Rd, El Toro ends at Laguna Canyon and you can take that to the beach. Not a big jaunt but nice and easy if your staying in Orange County and its pretty in October. PM me and I'll join you if I'm available. I'm not sure you can get into Modjeska but that's a good one too. They closed it after the fires a couple of years ago and I haven't been up there yet this summer.

23. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

at least an hour north of LA, but highway 33 is cool (lots of bikes) and Decker canyon out off of highway 1 malibu are is cool.

24. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

anyone have info on el mirage ?

i can see from the website that $15 per day gets you on the lake , but what are the rules and limitations of what you can and cannot do ? surley its not a free for all that want to fool around or is it?

25. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

el mirage + rental car = alot of fun!

26. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england