Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T - Passed the Bar today, 57JoeFoMoPar, Esq.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Oct 14, 2011.

1. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Man, that's FANTASTIC! You deserve it for all the hard work and all.

I guess I can't get you to work for 10$ an hour any more.

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

So proud of you dude! Now get back in the garage. Slim

3. OldTC

OldTC

Congratulations,......and best of luck to you!

4. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

congratulations, thats awesome and im sure a big relief. now go have soem fun in the garage.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, that is quite an accomplishment after some long years of very hard studying.

6. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

Congratulations,,,,that is no small task.

7. Ya done good!! Now go out and build yourself a "rod". Or, you could just buy one with all that money you worked so hard to be able to make.

8. Congratulations! Time to hop up the rod for chasing ambulances.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Congrats Joe. I've heard some horror stories about Bar exams so I know its quite an achievement. Laughed at many a lawyer joke too but have had my ass saved twice by two good lawyers. What area of practice are you going into?
    Okay I couldn't resist. Here's a dilemma. If a lawyer and an IRS agent are both drowning and you can only save one of them, do you go to lunch or check your email?:D

10. screwball

screwball

now are you going to use it for the good and help the fight of private property rights. There seems to be allot of cases that need a good lawyer to stand up for the tax payer more than the government.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

British Accredited Registry

In America?

nahh we dont have any problems:rolleyes:

what ever ..good luck

thought we fought to be our own country.....was 1776 a waste of energy? apparently

its an O/T thread..so theres your O/T reponse

Just do some good with it, before you get sucked in

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  12. What do you call 100 lawyers on the bottom of San Francisco Bay??

(A good start) :)

Seriously, though, congrats and go out there and make a difference now!!!

13. bonesy

bonesy

Congratulations.

14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Hope your mission or passion is to represent the "Car Hobby Lobby" we need it in a lot of places, those who don't understand keep chipping away at it little by little...congrats my friend.

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

CONGRATULATIONS !!

It is a well known, documented fact that college graduates make a LOT more money in their lifetime than non graduates. :)

Passing the bar is a BIG DEAL.
    Your lady friend passing is also neat.

If you marry ... the income should be very good.
    BUT ...
    Do not work out of the same office.

24/7 is rough on a marriage. Add in business stress and relationships can suffer.

16. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I worked a career as a University administrator so I know how much time you put in. Congratulations. One request. Please don't turn into an ambulance chaser:)

17. sr808

sr808

Good for you, Joe! That's something to be proud of.

18. 51 mercules

51 mercules

19. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

Congratulations! Are you going to have a HAMB Alliance discount?

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Congratulations, man, it's no easy feat. Good luck on the job search, I assume that's next? What type of law are you interested in?

One thing, a suggestion really, don't use Esq. on your biz cards. It sounds professional for those not in the know but to others that know what Esq. means it's odd. Esq. represents an archaic title of respect for a member of the English gentry ranking just below a knight; placed after the name.

21. Ebert

Ebert

Congrats!!!!

22. sawzall

sawzall

just too funny not to quote..

seriously joe.. congrats..

hoping I dont need your services..

23. belair

belair

Congrats - I'm working on a D.Min. Lots of time and effort, but worth it. Again, congratulations.

24. I knew I'd be too late for this one, ha, ha...

Maybe you can be a lobbyist for the Hot rod and classic car world, maybe beat back the EPA and all the crazy regulations our benevolent gov't. is stacking up against our old cars.

Not all lawyers are bad. Big congrats for your years of due diligence and endless hours of reading... well done, the both of you.

25. teddyp

teddyp

joe the very best you put alot of blood sweat and tears in .i,m very happy for you

26. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Nice going. Hope you find some interesting work. It's a tough market out there.

As for use of Esq., there's nothing wrong with using it in your title. In fact, some attorneys do so to distinguish from J.D., which is often used by folks who have a law degree but aren't licensed to practice law. Of course, if you're talking business cards and you have your name and then something like "Attorney at Law", you really don't need either.

27. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Congratulations from one lawyer to another. Best wishes for success.

28. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey everybody, I really appreciate the well wishes, and the lawyer jokes too :)

To answer a couple questions;

No, I haven't found a firm job yet, but I've been looking high and low, and should have much better luck now that I can officially be a lawyer, and not just someone who has a law degree. I'd love to work for a firm, though I'm not real keen on working for a huge firm. They tend to have a factory feel. I'd much rather work for a small to medium sized firm where I'd be called on to shoulder more responsibility and learn more, even if it means less pay.

As far as a specialty, most of my experience is in civil litigation work. Personal injury (mostly on the defense side), and construction defect cases. I've also done some workers comp and municipal court stuff. Right now I'll do pretty much anything, and I definitely like trial work.

I know lawyers get a bad name which is often deserved. But I do enjoy volunteer work and I try to give back when ever I can (my girl especially has racked up 400+ hours of volunteer legal work during law school). I've been involved with this program called "Wills For Heroes", which provides free wills, powers of attorney and advanced medical directives to police, fire, EMS, military members and their families. It has grown rapidly and has recently even expanded to retired members. It's a great program that helps the folks who put their lives on the line for us to make proper arrangements should the unthinkable occur.

If any HAMB members or family/friends you guys may have (in the NJ/PA/DE area) are interested in the program, please feel free to contact me and I'd love to see if we could help out.

Again, thanks for all the kind words

29. That there makes you a great person by its self. I will refrian from my lawyer joke..............and man do I have a LOT of them!:D

Congrats