Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T How much did it cost to build your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoguy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. repoguy

repoguy

Well, how much???

I think I found a house, but it has no garage (which means I'll have to have one built).

Anyone want to throw out a figure for a basic wood-frame 3 car garage?

2. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Depending on the size of the property it might be more cost effective to put up a pole barn. My buddy Jake wanted to put a second garage behind his house and after doing some research he found out that it was WAY cheaper to put up one of those pre-fabbed pole barns. And the one he raised on his land is way bigger than a 3-car garage...

3. Cword

Cword

$18K Canadian (12 to 13 US)
    24 by 30, Finished, that is pad, pony walls, siding, heated floor, insulated, drywalled, electrical and gas complete.
    Year built 2000

mike

4. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

26X40 4 car non insulated, 100 amp service (stand alone) including every nail and concrete (I have a list) $5700.00 USD [​IMG] We saved a ton by doing it ourselves including the slab. It helps that my old man built one just like it 3 years earlier and kept amazing records.

5. =mike=

=mike=

TDC has me beat , and I though i did pretty good . Slab , electrical , paint were the only things I had subbed out . I did the rest with a few friends and we came in at around $13,000 . it is 24 X 24 . But then again I AM in socal , which means EVERYTHING is 3 X's more than anywhere else [​IMG]

6. LIMEY

LIMEY

Around £15,000 & the local council paid half of that [​IMG] .....fuck the system!

7. repoguy

repoguy

Cool. I've never been a homeowner before so I'm ignorant about all of this shit.

Thanks for the input guys.

8. Curt Six

Curt Six

...and make sure you call and check the zoning before you put a contract on the house...don't want to find out after your the proud owner that you can't build what you want to build. Don't know how it is elsewhere, but this got tricky when I built my garage...
    Curt

9. PetT

PetT

I priced a 3 car this spring and it was 16,200 Plus electric. I figured it would be over 18k by the time i got done and didnt want to spend that much, so the hotrod gets the garage and the other 4 cars sit out... seems fair to me. LOL

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

$20,000 so far. 40 x 100 plus the 20 x 33 canopy over the antique gas station/convenience store. Still got a long way to go til its finished. It may NEVER be finished. I'm going to add a 20 x 40 wing this winter

11. CruZer

CruZer

I built my three car 36x26 garage last summer and the wood,metal roof , vinyl siding,three bay doors and a walk in cost me $8000 for materials. Some buddies from my car club helped me build it and my son-in-laws father works for a local construction company and I got the cement slab done for the cost of the cement.$1500 plus $250 for a pro to skreet it. My son-in-laws an electrician so I got it wired for about $250.I really lucked out but now I owe people some BIG favors.

Attached Files:

12. repoguy

repoguy

Yeah, it looks like I'll be calling the my grandfather to help me build it so I can save a little green.

And that is one nice set-up CruZer!

13. Is the house somewhere where you can build a large garage without fear of the zoning people?

14. repoguy

repoguy

No idea. It is in a semi-historic district so I'm sure there will be some degree of hassle involved.

15. THOM

THOM

cook county, illinois.....i paid $11,300 for a 24x22 16' insulated door in front, 8' insulated in rear, along with a 36" insulated entry door, that included a door opener and 3 lights along with 3 outlets... i got estimates from $9900 to $14,5, but you CAN negotiate with 'em, thus far i'm happy with the build.......

16. topdeadcenter

topdeadcenter

I had major hassles to build my garage. I was the test case for some new zoning rules in my town. Took 2 months and a special hearing at the city council to get my permit. Seems one guy f'd it up for everyone else. But on the bright side, after I threatened legal action against the city (incompitant employees told me all the wrong info and it cost me money) they changed the rules to be a little easier for everyone to understand.

I will post a pick of mine when I get home. I can send interested HAMBers the exact price list for my garage too, just e-mail me.

TDC

17. HotRod31

HotRod31

If I remember correctly,Florida passed some strict building codes after Hurricane Andrew. That will no doubt add to the cost. By the way I built mine 24x36 for less than 5 thou. about 10 yrs ago. Did ALL the work myself.

Later, Mark

18. $10,000 to bump out the existing garage 10ft X 30ft. Now it's 25ft deep by 30ft across. New York ain't cheap.

But if you factor in the wife complaining about the home improvements I've made since... I'm still paying for it!
    Bil

19. Plowboy

Plowboy

30 X 40 2 years ago. $11,900 that was having a pro put it up in 5 days and making sure the walls were all square. There is a lot to be said for that. That includes the building, concrete, and insulated overhead doors. He "bookshelved" the walls instead of just putting the nailers on the outside of the poles. All I had to do was insulate and hang the OSB. I finished the inside myself and did the electrical and cheapo used furnace. I've got about 15,000 in it.

20. Manyolkars, Do you have any pictures of your garage? It sounds over the top.

21. 22' wide X 28' deep...616 sq. ft. 12' X 7' insulated door, 220V wiring, 3 1/2" fiberglass insulation, paneling, sheet rock ceiling, flourescent lighting, slab and 3 course block wall on 3 sides....(I did the labor)....$1600.00 total.

Of course, that was in 1971 ! [​IMG]

22. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

you don't want to know what I have spent on this shop.

2800 sq feet, 13 foot high ceilings, 2x6 walls, 5/8 sheet rock, 200 amp service, 8 foot high garage doors, fully insulated, stucco'd exterior walls, tile roof, hopefully some a/c installed this winter.

23. Now THAT'S a toy box..... [​IMG]

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

[ QUOTE ]
    you don't want to know what I have spent on this shop.

2800 sq feet, 13 foot high ceilings, 2x6 walls, 5/8 sheet rock, 200 amp service, 8 foot high garage doors, fully insulated, stucco'd exterior walls, tile roof, hopefully some a/c installed this winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks nice. Any more pictures?

Just for the hell of it, what did it cost? (....rough estimate is OK)

I am going to build a "nice" one this spring.

25. Chuck Fish

Chuck Fish

I'm in the permit process for a 28x40 attached garage.Total cost is gonna be around 40,000. 12' ceilings,heated floors,and a/c.,commercial roll doors(roll up like window shades)to save space.I'm also gonna put 6 pots in the floor (at Tommy's & 2raticl's suggestion).

I have never had a garage,and have worked outside all my life. I'm really lookin forward to gettin inside. [​IMG]

Chuck Fish

26. Terry

Terry

My is just a little cave, but I have never wished for bigger. 14X24 Morgan building on skids (no taxes on temp. buildings). I have been using it almost 10 years, and had a bunch of cars go through it.

Brought in and set up - 2800.00
    Eletric run 250.00
    Finished out with sheetrock and stuff - 500.00
    3550.00 total

27. Donzie

Donzie

I had mine built 2 yrs ago last June. 24x36, T-111 siding, gambrel roof with 24x28 loft. The building cost $10,000. I wired it myself, I paid someone to run the gas line and hired my nephew to put in the insulation and OSB in the main level. I'm using a wall gas heater, which works good. I might have another $1000. (at the most) into all of that. I enclosed my air compressor under the stair well. I still need to sound proof it though, it's still a little noisy.

28. Southfork

Southfork

Come on, manyolcars, let's see some pics! I am intrigued!

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

lemme see if I can put up a pic.....its gotta be 70,000, I'm gonna have to figger this steenkin puter out b4 I kin post--will keep trying......

30. Leon

Leon