Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T: honeymooning from maryland to maine what to see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1LIFE2LIVE, Oct 4, 2010.

1. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Im getting neutered, i mean married on october 30th and we have decided we are going to road trip up north and see the sights. we have a week and a half and are going to drive up the coast line to maine and swant to stop off places and see all there is to offer in the north. I was looking for input from you guys as to what there is to see and do and hopefully hit a couple hot rod related stops along the way. any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

ChopShop Customs in Woburn Mass... Nice place/people.... Back Bay Customs in Portland Maine. They just had a car in Street Rodder
    Nothing that I know of for events that time of yr....What part of Maine you going to be in?... I'm in central Maine...Stop by
    Pontiac Slim

3. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Thanks for the info i will look into both of the shops. We are going to be all over, I know we are going to vermont as well she wants to see the ben and jerrys ice cream plant even though she has a dairy allergy. I guess that means more free samples for me. I definatly want to find a good place on the maine coast line to eat lobster.

4. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Thompson Speedway Flea market, Thompson CT Nov 6-7. Mostly racecar parts but also some good vintage hot rod parts mixed in.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Not car related but,
    Sub base & museum in Groton/ New London, it's free too.
    Mystic Seaport in Conn.
    Plymouth, Boston, Cape Cod
    LL Bean in Freeport, Maine.
    Tons of stuff to visit.
    If your not in a hurry try to drive on Rt 1 & Rt-1A as much as you can goes along the coast.

If you get close to Wakefield, RI, stop and ask my kid if he remembers the old man & tell him a call once in a while would be nice.

6. Stop in Philly on the way and see the Simeone Collection- absolutely worth it!!!

7. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

While in Maine go to the Allagash Brewery. Awesome!! Beer. Anchor Steam is good too.
    New Haven CT for Lunch:
    Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana<CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>www.pepespizzeria.com</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>New York.... Well just NY</CITE>

Philly, get some cheese steaks

Boston has some excellent restaurants.

I was just in Portland Maine. Really nice area!!

8. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

the "Old Port" section of Portland is OK..(lots of bars etc). Anyplace on Rt1 is usally good seafood... LL Bean is a must..
    How are you getting frm Vt to Maine ? Going through the White Mountains via rt 2 is AWESOME.....
    Rt 1 in Kittery has a pile of factory outlet shops.. That alwaz makes points...
    Pontiac Slim

PS Portland haz an AHL hockey team and Lewison haz the only US Quebec Jr A hockey team if your into that...
    Frank Pepe Pizza is outstanding.......

9. InPrimer

InPrimer

Honeymooned there in 1980 , started western NY , Check out Boston , hold on to your socks drivers beyond nuts, plenty of museums and seafood if you are into it. Went to Bar Harbor Maine, beautiul place, if you can , swing by Cape Cod very cool esp romantic with the wife. Good luck and early Congats. IP

10. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Thanks for all the input I am going to research it and any more stops you can think of will be greatly appreciated.
    Slim- we planned on going to the white mountain national forest and will drive rte 2. Also thanks for the info on rte 1. Any roads that offer great scenery are great.

11. 1LIFE2LIVE

1LIFE2LIVE

Thanks for all the input I am going to research it and any more stops you can think of will be greatly appreciated.
    Slim- we planned on going to the white mountain national forest and will drive rte 2. Also thanks for the info on rte 1. Any roads that offer great scenery are great.

12. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Not many hot rods there,but...
    With autumn here,Skyline Drive would be mucho romantical during your trip with the leaves changing and the view....You could always park and steam up the windows?

Congrats on your union,wishes of many happy years for you and your bride!

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

Know nothing about the area. However I would see if you get lucky every nite before the wedding cake takes effect.

14. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

Depends on how far up into Maine you want to go.

York and Ogunquit are very nice. Lobster Pond in Ogunquit is a good lobster restaurant.
    Mimmos right on York Beach is good Italian food.
    If you go all the way up to Mount Desert Island / Acadia National Park, that's a beautiful place. Southwest Harbor has some nice Bed&Breakfasts that the lady would love. Drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain for the sunrise. It is the highest-while-also-Easternmost place in the USA, so it is the first place in the US to see the light of day.

A nice drive around the town of Kennebunkport would get you some good ocean shots, and also they have some real nice old Captain's homes that are now great B&Bs also.

And if you come up 84 through Connecticut, stop at Rein's Deli for lunch - a great NY style deli.

Congrats and enjoy - Maine is a great place.

Pete