Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Curious what all you hambers do for work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustypipes, Sep 28, 2005.

1. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

Im a paramedic, but been thinking about moving into a different career path for awhile now. I was just curious to know what all the rest of you hambers do for work?

2. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

i do body work for a living. that's why my car looks like shit and everyone else has clean rides. :( :D

3. Bryan

Bryan

I own a gym....basically, I'm a salesman/janitor/personal trainer/group class instructor/manager. I guess I, to use the popular corporate jargon, "Multitask"

Bryan

4. I work sometimes in mopar resto and race shop, building race chassis and doing resto metalwork. I also work sometimes as a project manager for an enviromental controls business.

I also volunteer at the hospital in the ER, and I gotta say, I have a lot of respect for paramedics, and understand that you might not want to do that forever.

5. magoo

magoo

I'm a car upholsterer.Work on everything from patching up imports for local dealers to reupholstering vintage cars for a nearby museum.Just finished a 1922 wolesley

DHeep likes this.
  6. fatassbuick

fatassbuick

I was a CNC machinist and programmer for 16 years, now I work for a contact lens company and do mold maintenance. Woo.

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  7. Mark Karger

Mark Karger
    from houston TX

39 years postal service, Expeditor in the Truck Teerminal, houston, TX. I make sure all the mail gets to the trucks for the Mail Handlers to load. Hopefully I'll be able to afford to retire in 2 years to Navasota, TX where my 2 garages & 17 old trucks are.

mikhett likes this.
  8. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Network operator for the U.N in Geneva.

9. Fidget

Fidget

City garbage man. I used to be an EMT in the late 80's, this pays a lot better.

10. Hey Magoo! Do you do the cars for Southwards?

I'm a musician, but I have to support my habit by being a warehouse manager/sales rep for a musical instrument import company during the day. :mad:

11. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

toolmaker/diemaker for a number of years, went to limited production run stuff, now im a maintenance machinist in a nuke power plant. a litte bit of everything really.

12. evilgenius

evilgenius

i'm a graphic designer. freelance, mainly. my company's called Evil Genius, LLC based out of honolulu, hawaii. right now i sorta just take what i can get in terms of work. when money allows i work on the car. it's a very slow process. but it's one that i can get excited about because the final product of this labor won't happen for a long time...

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

The technical term is Aviation Engineering Technician.

The layman's terms Airplane mechanic.

14. Tool and Die maker for many years...then Quality engineer in a medical company and now a registered nurse in an Intensive Care Unit with a specialty in cardiology. Sometimes float to the ED....gotta give you paramedics a thumbs up, but I can also see the desire to change......

If you ask my friends they'll tell you I'm a 40 y/o student.

15. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mechanical Engineer

16. orange52

orange52

Does "Slave to the Grind" count? My official title is "Technology Analyst" which just means I'm a computer geek.

I am dreaming of being an entrepeneur though. I'm currently researching franchise information and trying to decide what I want my first business to be.

Troy

17. TvanD

TvanD
    from Newton IA

Spent 20 years as an Ag and Construction mechanic then got a job here at Maytag as a Model shop tech. I make prototype parts,test fixtures and modify production parts. Also run an SLA machine, it uses a laser to sinter a photosesitive resin into plastic parts. They look like molded parts but you don't need a mold.

18. tims58348

tims58348

Set up and run engines in a dyno cell for NVH testing of new timing systems and components that go onto new cars. Been doing this for about 8 years. Before that was a Toytoa tech. for 10 years. Got tired of actually working for a living. Now working on engines is much easier without the car around it.:)

tim

19. 53BOMBAH

53BOMBAH
    from Las Vegas

USAF Power Production Journeyman: I work on electrical generators from 2KW to 900KW and Aircraft Arresting barriers (cable intersecting runway, catches fighter aircraft). Just got back from Iraq, learned alot out there. Stationed in England right now.

20. JasonK

JasonK

21. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

I run the IT Security Audit team for Dow Jones. which to make it sound cool is I run a team of hackers that try to break our computers/network and then report and tell management on where they need to fix things.

its not as "cool" as it sounds but it pays well and I don't really have a boss.

i surf the hamb too.

22. KoppaK

KoppaK

Wrench,Mechanic,Spanner Weilder,Grease Monkey and Whipping Boy

zombiecat likes this.
  23. 25 years Faciltites Management at the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis Md.

24. BuickinaBucket

BuickinaBucket
    from Newark, DE

Graphic designer/illustrator... which is why I never have art to post here. By the time I get home from the office (ad agency) I don't want to even think about picking up the mouse or a brush.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. Hmmm technical term: Electric Distribution Systems Operator or load dispatcher in other companies lingo. When your lights go out we try to figure out how to get them back on again....

Laymans terms: asleep at the switch.......

26. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Aviation Maintenance Technician,(Aircraft Mechanic),
    doing sheet metal and structural work for a former major airline.
    one who recently filed bankruptcy.

we'll see what the future holds,looks like more of our work
    will be farmed out.

27. Buckle

Buckle

I am a product Designer for a Teir 1 supplier. I design Brake system components for Air Disc Brake applications. Sit a lot and use a computer a lot.

28. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Firefighter/ Paramedic

100% Matt likes this.
  29. I repair robots

30. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Maintenance supervisor for a chemical plant. The pay is good, but the long hours suck.:(