Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T- Cleaning an old mexican blanket-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stationwagonguy, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Stationwagonguy

Stationwagonguy
    from Detroit

I've been wanting a bright, colorful mexican blanket for awhile, and I finally just decided to take my great grandmother's old one from my grandparent's basement. I really was hoping not to, but I finally did. Why I didn't want it is this- It's been in the basement for years, and the basement keeps flooding, so it's gotten wet several times. It smells musty and not particularly pleasant, on top of 40 years of being in cigarette smoke because both my great grandmother and grandmother may be the greatest chain smokers on earth (My grandmother goes through a carton a week. At 90. And, amazingly, only health problems are that she's gone nuts and has no memory span, and some high blood pressure), so it also reeks of smoke and is kind of stained yellowy.

How do you clean one of these things safely? I just want to make sure the colors won't bleed, because I'm sure I'm going to have to wash this thing over and over and over. Or should i have it dry cleaned, or....? Any thoughts?

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Are you fucking kidding? Buy a new one for $10, or throw it in the washer and have at it!

3. It's probably a good idea to resurrect it, because it's likely much better quality than the stuff you get today. Today's ones are rubbishy cotton, I believe the old one's were wool, or a wool composite. I'd vote for a dryclean.

4. The proper thing to do is clean it the way it was intended to be clean, beat it on a rock down by the stream, second choice would be a large front loader down at the laundramat, they have a different action than a top loader that is less destructive. LEE

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Let it air dry or it will shrink!

I had an old one I found at the Salvation Army that REEKED of cig smoke so I popped it in the washer, then the drier. I couldn't believe how much it shrunk!

It would have been alright, still could have used it for something except that the different colors shrunk at different rates so it was all lumpy and mishapen.

Wash cold, stretch it flat and hang it to dry.

6. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

I've washed all my mexican blankets. i used a front loader machine and put it on a cool wash (for woollens) and let it dry naturally.
    Like Curious Rash says DO NOT TUMBLE DRY IT.

Daisyduke

7. Add 3/4 cup 20 Mule Team Borax to the wash. Odors will go away.

8. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

But do it upstream from the pasture:eek: :D

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wash all my Mexicans with the garden hose.

Oh, wait! Did you say blanket?? Hey Ignore my last line then............

(Kidding!)

10. 47bob

47bob

Thats a family heirloom. I would dry clean it. Not a good idea to use it as a seat cover for a hotrod.

11. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I have to agree with 47bob on this. It would be OK to use it as a lap robe or something but seatcovers from Grandma's blanket, not good.
    Years ago we were at a swap meet and the vendor beside was setting up. They were using Granny's heirloom quilts as packing and night cover for freaking SuperBell axles on a stand and other displays.
    We had a nice civilized discussion about family treasures and respect for family history. Several months later we were happy to hear the quilts had been porfessionally cleaned and were now proudly on display at home on walls and beds as it should be.

12. Stationwagonguy

Stationwagonguy
    from Detroit

I'd agree with this if it weren't for the fact I only took it because I was told to throw it away. Don't worry- I have 50 gazillion other "Heirlooms". And no where to put any of them.

I appreciate the cleaning advice. I've looked around for another one for years with no luck, there aren't any colorful ones to be had, and when I do find them they're on ebay for way too much. All the ones I ever see are single color (red or blue or green, all different shades but one color), or really dark tints, and fall apart super-easy (I know from experience).

I'll try cleaning it and see how I feel about it afterwards. Thanks again!

13. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

The garden hose method while on clothesline is tough to beat and deturrs fading...or do the washing machine on gentle cycle. Air dry without heat.

14. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

wtf?....just wash it and air dry it.

15. Not to hijack..but, if you cut them for seatbelts do you have to worry about un-raveling/freying?

16. Stationwagonguy

Stationwagonguy
    from Detroit

I'd imagine so, and that doesn't sound particularly safe either.:eek:

Edit- Gave it a second thought, I understand what you're saying now. Sorry for the mixup. This one I have seems to have frayed quite a bit where it's been torn, so I can only guess it could on yours too.

17. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

$5 or less in Reynosa..don't sweat it.

18. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Put it in the washer, cold water, air dry. Now, somebody close this stupid thread!

19. Elrod

Elrod

Oh... I thought this was a post about MarkX before I opened it...

[​IMG]

20. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

I can't believe you have been searching for one that long. They're a dime a dozen around here. I just go the flea market on Saturday mornings and just get a new wool one, from Mexico, along with some carne asada tacos, when mine get dirty.

21. HotRodKitten

HotRodKitten

dry cleaning can do wonders, especially on old material. I wouldn't wash something that old. New mexican blankets are made cheaply and you can throw them in the washer and not care too much if you ruin it in the process.

22. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Their like six bucks at Appco, I've been to several, and they were all selling them.

$30.00 of Lime Green Mexican blankets would do seat, seat backs, back seat, seat back, and headliner. Just have to be creative with it.

Anything early...I'd imagine two or three would do it in, I was shopping for my '54 Ford, which currently has some crusty green sheets the previous owner was using.

23. Stationwagonguy

Stationwagonguy
    from Detroit

I imagine they're easier to come by near a lot of you, but it's not so easy when you live in Detroit.

And what's an Appco? I imagine it must be some chain of stores, but there's none of those near here either.

I think this blanket is shot anyways. I've washed it 5 times now with Borax and it still smells like mold and cigarettes- predominantly mold though. There's holes in it all over as well, and the whole thing is dyed reddish- which it was long before I touched it. Probably was washed wrong before or the water from when the basement flooded ruined it. I don't know. But, it was worth a try.

24. C'mon - you're telling me that Detroit doesn't have some kind of Mexican community??? Go to any store in the right neighborhood and you'll find what you're looking for. Hell, I've even seen Mexican blankets at truck stops.

25. bigolds

bigolds

Un- fuckin beleivable, I only wish I had some to wash. Yeah, blankets!!!!

26. slammed

slammed

Soak it over night w/some Arm-n-Hammer baking soda. And then use some 'fluffy' (flower, spring rain, ect) detergent. Then Load the rinse cycle with some strong smelling fab. softner. What'a got to lose?

27. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Bought one at a garage sale this morning for 65 cents....and it's clean.

28. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Appco is an chain of gas-station/conveince stores. Blue, yellow, and red.

Just a thought though. Seems like they get these things shipped in to sell like all the other junk that these stores pile-up (Like Git-R-Done key chains, cup holders, etc.)