Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T...cheap guitars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nightfire, May 6, 2006.

1. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

Hey gang, after seeing the other guitar thread I didnt wanna hijack it so I started a new one, hope its ok. I'm still in highschool and have a little job on the side:rolleyes: and with 2 projects you know how that goes....:( not much money left for anything else. I've been playin with my SG ripoff Barracuda for 3 years now and I wanna step up. I really like all the models Gibson offers, but I dont have the $$$, not even enough for an Epiphone. Anyone of you ever used Jay Turser guitars? They seem cheap for their quality. Looking at this guitar http://www.guitarstop.com/JayTurser/jt133.htm a Gibson ripoff. Anyone ever had any experience with Jay Turser?

Thanks,

Mike

2. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Look for older Japanese copies on ebay. A few names to check are Burny, Greco, Fernandes, Orville, Aria, and so on.

3. Alex Yohnk

Alex Yohnk

yea, older jap guitars are great. check out www.rondomusic.com too, they got some good cheap new stuff that sounds good and holds tune. and a ton of les paul copies.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

nothin wrong with Jay Turser at all. Good guitars for the money, comparable to the Epiphone.As for Gibson yeah they got the name and the green lumber they use to build them too resulting in twisted necks like the last 4 that I've owned.Save your money and when you can get a real good guitar, look at Carvin.I have one and it blows the Gibson away in versatility, construction, and stability.More than a epi or turser but much cheaper than the Gibson

5. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

I used to repair guitars for a living, and Jay Turser guitars are good stuff - as well as loads of other guitars mentioned here.

Take any money you can scrape together, any guitars you might trade in and hit all the stores in your area. Try before you buy.
    Buy a good brand name used guitar that fits your hand right, one equipped with the goodies you like already installed (Floyd Rose, DiMarzio, whatever), then take it home and play 'til your fingers bleed, OK?

Don't worry about scratches and dings - tone and playability rule!. If looks made a guitar play well and sound nice most old Telecasters wouldn't be able to stay in tune.

Don't go to a pawn shop - they are all too high (and some sell crap guitars).
    Don't buy just on price (Guitar Center) - buy someplace with a good reputation for service.
    If you're serious about playing you'll want the advice and help of nice folks who can take care of you with a minimum of fuss.

6. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I own a Jay Turser "Telecaster" ....awesome guitar for the dough.

7. I have the "made in Mexico" Fender Stratocaster, much better than the cheap squire, and damn near the same as the much more expensive American made model. Its still a real Fender made Strat, just not made in the US-saves 'ya about $500!
    -Dean

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I have a made in Mexico Telecaster. It plays as well as any American made model I've ever tried. Saved some cash too.

9. brandon

brandon

not a guitar player ....but i striped 4 johnson guitars a couple months ago for a local dealer.....not sure on the quality .....but looked nice for the price.....brandon

10. Bought my son 5 jay tursers. 1 is a strat copy one a gibson copy. He loves the gibson doesnt like the strat but loves all 3 acoustic models. My neighbor used to play professionally he has vintage fenders he has played all of my sons and says for the money there damned nice.

11. I bought this JayTurser JT133- a Wilburn Custom Shop Guitar with a Bigsby Tremelo and 2 ZebraBucker pickups...I love it-Plays great -light action and sustain out of this world/clear tones too...beautiful finish=343.00

Attached Files:

12. Tell ya what. Dr J is right. Look into Danelectros. They got a great surf sound. But first, do some playing in the store, and also understand that the "electric guitar sound" is 70% amplifier. I just got my 70s Peavey Classic back from getting ALL the electronics done, and it's a COMPLETELY different amp. It has rich distortion and can play clean and sharp. And I was gonna start looking for a new guitar too! Not now!

13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Danos are way cool, and Mexican Fenders are real nice, but we're not really comparing apples to apples here. If the kid is sweating a Gibson, then he's looking for something with some meat...humbuckers, thick tone. Not Tele or Dano territory.

Buy a used Epiphone. A used Epi Les Paul shouldn't run you more than like 250-350 bucks, for a guitar you'll be happy with. All my guitars have been purchased used, a Gibson SG, PRS Custom 24, and my pride and joy, my Gretsch Nashville Western, which I never would have been able to afford had I not bought it used.

14. when did they start making stratocasters in mexico? is my 1964 ok?

15. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

alright, here's the scoop from a guitar instructor/repair man/junkie. you want full body and good playability but for some odd reason like gibson (which have NEITHER of those anymore) get an aria. you can get a solid (one piece of wood) body les paul style guitar for around $650 but for the bottom line, which are still phenominal, they start around $200. i used to run a music store and when a customer wanted a les paul, i had them play one of the arias and then go play a real les paul at another store and then come back and tell me what color aria they wanted...9 times outta 10 they came back and bought the aria.

in the future, if you want a really nice guitar, go and find yourself an esp. my esp m-250 is my baby, i haven't found anything that comes close to playing like it does. it's got beautiful tone with huge variances, sustain enough to make a martini while you wait for the note to end and it'll shred like a fucking meat grinder when you want it to.

16. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Right on. That's exactly what I was going to say. Tokai makes good ones too. 99% of these Jap copies smoke newer Epiphone shit. I have owned two Burny's, and they were both excellent. Ebay always has a bunch of these for sale. Jay Turser guitars SUCK! Do not waste your money! Take your time and look for a Jap copy.

17. CARVIN
    the best way to go. get a neck thru model, seek 'em out at a pawn shop. they usually don't know what Carvin is.
    Shawn Groover
    Leader & Lead guitarist for
    King Flush & The Toilets

18. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

If you want action, you've seriously got to consider Ibanez, like the Turser they are made in China.
    Satriani and Vai play them.
    Fender and gibson are both way over rated and over priced.
    Remember the japs built them better.
    Basically it doesn't matter if it's cheap, it's how it feels in your hands and the sounds it gives you.
    Where cheap guitars often lose out is machine heads, pickups, bridge stabilty, and thin frets.
    Plus the more binding it has, and expensive hollowbodies have a lot of binding normally, the deader the sound and the more potential trouble as it ages.

19. Olson

Olson

Whatever ya do, don't just buy some guitar online without already bein' familiar with that particular one. Ya gotta play 'em...feel 'em with yer own hands. There's a lot of good cheap guitars out there, but be smart about it. What feels like crap for one might feel just right fer you, and vise versa!

Carvin is pretty good for replacement stuff. Good prices and the quality is fine.

However! If yer ever considering buildin' one from parts, ya gotta check out Stewart-MacDonald. These guys know their shit!

http://www.stewmac.com/

Olson

20. Haunted Ken

Haunted Ken

two words:

Yard Sale..... search the yard and garage sales.... I have found most of my guitars this way.... My prized possession is a 1967 Grestch Solid Body "Princess" that I scored at a garage sale for 100 dollars.... it's worth arounf 5000 dollars....

Also, I found a Fender Japanese Telecaster for 40, a Peavey bass for 100 and a Fender 100 watt amp for 60.....

It takes alot of time to scrounge and you might hit 20-30 sales with nothing, but when you do find something, it's always a score.....

Alot of times junior wants a guitar, mommy buys him one, he plays it for two days until he realizes it takes alot of time, effort, and work to learn how to play, and so it sits in the basement for years until Mom holds a garage/yard sale.....

It happens alot more than you would think.....

Just my two cents.....

21. chilimac

chilimac

No it's made in Tiajuana.I'll take it off your hands so you can get a new one just cause I'm a nice guy:rolleyes:

22. Nightfire

Nightfire
    from Canada

Wow, so many replies, didnt realize so many people played guitar here:cool:
    I went to the Rondo Music website, and read reviews on another site and seems like they're pretty good stuff for their price. My friend has an older Strat Jay Turser and it sucks! He told me they've since shaped up and his was a very very cheap model. I for sure want a Les Paul style or a semi hollow-body like an ES-335 copy. Mainly for jazzy, bluesy and rock 'n roll type music.
    I spent all my money on a Vox Valvetronix amp (WOW! if you've never heard of it look into it, 11 amps in one).
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Choprods thats one fine looking guitar:eek:
    I've tried the Gibsons at the store, they're and I love the neck of the ES'335 specially. Been looking around at Garage sales for a few years now, nothing much has ever turned up but I'll keep on looking. Also been to all the pawnshops in my city, they're all WAY to overpriced.
    I cant ebay, no credit card, dad wont let me use his...
    http://www.rondomusic.net/shm91.html I'm leaning towards this one, read all the reviews on it and from what customers say it plays just as nice as the Gibson...

Thanks again,

mike