Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest O/T, but PRAY for Ryan Newman!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ebbsspeed, Feb 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frightening crash. Thoughts and prayers out to Ryan. I woke up this morning thinking about just how violent this crash was. Couldn't wait to get online and try to get an update. I agree with gnichols, this bump drafting and blocking at 200 mph may sell tickets, but it's a recipe for disaster.

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

I agree Don ^^^. As a now casual fan, I was rooting for Ryan. He's kinda become my favorite since that fateful day. Got to spend some time BSing with him one on one at the Dirt Track back in November of '08. He was just recovering from the incident that had him plowing sod upside-down a week or so before. Helluva nice guy, humble and talented to boot. I sure hope he makes a complete recovery.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with gnichols...bump drafting is one thing...locking bumpers for extended time is another. NASCAR doesn't allow locking bumpers in the Xfinity or Truck series, and they need to eliminate it in Cup racing.

4. v8flat44

v8flat44

Praying here too....so good to see lots of you guys praying too.
    H R P is right........God is in control........
    mike

Deuces and raven like this.
  5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Since the 2001 incident the awareness of safety likely saved Newman's life.

6. Deuces

Deuces

You can say that again.... :mad::(

stillrunners and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. My major concern for Ryan was when his car was upside down he was hit in the drivers door, the in that area took a hard hit, being Southern I have been a huge fan of NASCAR since I was a kid, I have seen the many innovations that have been beneficial to the safety of the drivers, it's still a dangerous sport.

Prayers work wonders. HRP

8. all my prayers for his health and his family from over here, too. a speedy and complete recovery is what he deserves.

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was pulling for him to win and totally agree with the doing away with "bump drafting". In this case I think it was a bit more than bump drafting. It was more like Dale Sr's philosophy of, "if I can't win, you can't either". Ryan Newman had the race won until that "bump".

6-bangertim, Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  10. ...last I heard he has no life-threatening injuries...that was a wild ride

Deuces likes this.
  11. NA$CAR has gotten too gimmicky for me. My son came in and told me about the crash, so I looked it up... a hard hit indeed at great speed too. I've crashed stock cars... never while going slow... on short tracks and its over in a few seconds, grab your shoulder belts, keep your head down and hold on.

12. Any updates as to the particular injuries? I always worry about compressed or broken vertebrae when cars go airborne and come back down hard. :(

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  13. 34Larry

34Larry

Agree with you on the bumping, pushing, and especially the blocking. I'm not a fan of NASCAR, just never got "into it" that much. My wife and daughter and I were watching and both ladies called out the needless blocking and pushing saying that's like acting like juvenile teen age boys. On the blocking thing, I agree with them. Don't want to speak badly about anyone but he did pull down sharply to block...….….just say'n.

My step son drove the Petty thing at Chicago and Daytona a few years back. I did the ride along at 165 MPH. Impression?? Very loud, surprised at the transition to bank, mindboggling speed when passing the grandstands, and three laps wasn't enough. :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:.

Gods speed to recovery wishes for Rayan:)

6-bangertim and Deuces like this.
  14. There are incredible g-forces in a crash like that.... a 40-g hit will tear heart plumbing apart. My guess, he got his bell rung in a major way along with assorted breaks and bruises. I took a bad one at Islip one night, the next day I had belt-burn on my chest and shoulders.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

At those speeds just a the slightest touch of one car against another sets into
    motion front, rear and side draft issues that accidents like that are going to
    happen. It's like playing tag at 200 MPH. Plus "blocking" seems unethical,
    not allowing the better driver the chance to win. Team winning seems to take priority . 2019 was the last year for NASCAR using restrictor plates.
    Is it worth the thrills and spills? It's all about the money.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.