Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures O/T [?] Burgess Meredith "Down to the Sea in Ships" 1968

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pir8Darryl, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

This might be O/T, but I'v looked everywhere and come up empty handed, so I'm calling on the vast knowledge reserves of the HAMB to help me out.

Burgess Meredith, our favorite "Penguin" to Adam West's "Batman" did a little side project in 1968 where he narrated an eppisode of a television program.

The program was called "Project XX", and the episode was called "Down to the Sea in Ships".

The "Project XX" television series was quite similar to modern day History Channel or National Geographic programming, with a dash of CSI thrown in.

The Down to the Sea in Ships eppisode was [IMHO] quite signifigant due to it's timing. It was filmed when the last few of the original "Iron Men in Wooden Ships" were dying off. The footage was a mix of vintage B&W and modern color. It showed footage of some of the most famous "golden age" ships as wrecks... The "Sea Witch", "Golden Jacket", and "Ada". Today those wrecks are gone forever, as are the iron men who sailed them.

Having the "crusty" voice of Burgess narrating this eppisode was just the icing on the cake. I saw it 20 years ago, and the thought of it still gives me goose bumps.

This work was done in 1968, so it's not to be confused with the silent film of 1919 or the B&W movie of the 1940's.

99% of the time, it's easy to find these old TV eppisodes on you-tube, but for this one, I'm drawing a big fat ZERO!

Anyone out there have a copy of it on VHS or DVD??? Maybe know where it's posted so I can view it? Or buy it if I must???

Any help you guys could offer is greatly appreciated.

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Somebody out there in HAMB-land help me out!

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I realize this isn't car related, but it's still cool old stuff.
    Wooden ships and steam trains are about as HAMB friendly as they come. :)

Anybody?????

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

One more bump for the evening crew.

To think I may have finally stumped the all-knowing HAMB!

Oh well... It was a rediculously obscure question. :)

5. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I looked it up on Netflix and the only thing that came up was a movies from the '20's. Sorry

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Final bump...

Will I walk away with the unique pleasure of having stumped the all-knowing HAMB masses? Could it be??? :eek: