Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Any tractor guys on the H.A.M.B.??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Silent_Orchestra, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Just wanted to see if there's any body on here into antique tractors. here's mine,1938 John Deere Unstyled 'L' (the green one)and my dad's 1951 John Deere 'MI' (the orange one)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

A buddy of mine has a Shepard. He would love to find more tractors or parts!:)

3. noboD

noboD

I have my dad's '48 8N Ford, learned to drive it at 8 years old.

4. swimeasy

swimeasy

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Mine is 1948 John Dear G, lots o fun to drive!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Going to be getting an Allis Chalmers WC before too long, around 58-62 I believe, always wanted a WD but this one will do.

6. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

I have a '39 Allis-Chalmers Model B.

Also got a '41 Case recently.

My John-Deere is a riding mower...:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  7. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

There's at least one other tractor man here.

I'm an Allis Chalmers man. Always have been, always will be. Raised on the rumbly fender of a WD.

I want to say something about antique tractors. They probably saved my life. I was a rough farm kid, into street racing, and anything else that was likely to land me into trouble or the grave. A little altercation with Johnny Law and the adios of my license (and the speech of a judge that warned me a policeman killed in hot pursuit was a murder charge) prompted me to redirect my need for more power. I found that outlet in antique tractor pulling and the hop-up of things you couldn't buy anything for at the time. Rodding that challenged the mind, because it was all new territory.

I was given this tractor as a kid in 1981, and used it farming until 1986 when I decided to redirect my energies. From 25 hp stock, to 75 hp at factory stock rpms and using completely undetectable modifications. At a time when you had to be mag fired and hand cranked to even participate.

This pic was taken in 1990
    [​IMG]

I have 4 Allis' that I use on the farm. A '45 WC, '51WD, '52 B, and '54 D-14.

They work, and work hard. Most of all the WD. The WD is hitched to a 9' wheel disk right now awaiting 30 acres of hard labor if it ever rains again!

Plantin' corn
    [​IMG]

Pickin' corn
    [​IMG]

As the pulling rules changed over time to favor more power, Outlaw classes came along that didn't limit rpms to factory spec anymore. My Dad and I built this to compete in '99. A '47 Custom Model B, with a chrysler industrial flathead 6. She could hit 5500 rpms and absolutely slew the behemoths it faced for a couple of years. The engine was original to the tractor, which fit the rules.
    [​IMG]

Rules changed, to allow any engine a manufacturer used under their own marquee. This opened a door the competition didn't expect. Allis Chalmers used 292 GM engines in their combines. Again, a rule change to take us out, let us in even hotter. Dad engineered a WD/292 swap that still impresses me. About all I can take credit for here is setting up the carbs. For all practical purposes, by the time we retired the Custom - I kinda retired too. Flathead inline fever had struck me, badly.
    [​IMG]

Things come full circle. I was surprized by the flathead six and started investigating things. I found Hudson cars, their legacy, and traditional rodding all about the same time via the internet.

From cars, to tractors, back to cars. Its a crazy life.

Whoever has 'em, lets see 'em - and lets hear the story.

Traditional Agriculture has just as hallowed a place in this world as Traditional Rodding, at least to me.

Hud

8. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

oooooooo, A Hwy dept LA, Cool! We have several here, 29 Case L, 35 Cat D7, 37 Farmall F12 on full steel, 38 McCormick W30, 40 Farmall H bought new by may grandfather, then the working tractors, 58 International 350, 61 Farmall 560, 68 Farmall 1206, and the latest aquisition, a low hr, looks almost new, IH 715 combine

9. Stoner

Stoner

Here's my dad's N with a set of rare Somerset weights. His dad bought it brand new and he's restored plenty of the N series. First thing I ever drove was his '56 800 and he's got more great, rare parts for these things than I've ever seen.

STONER

Attached Files:

10. 390ford

390ford
    from atx

I have 2 JD 730Ds, JD A, JD H and an Allis Chalmers Model G--flat head 4, mounted in the rear. Cool if youve never seen one

Howard

11. hoof

hoof

Alright, some love for Allis Chalmers, the bastard step child of the antique tractor world!

My dad has 2 dozen, yes dozen, antique Allis's. I restored a 1941 "C" and that kind of led me into the car hobby.

CHAZ

12. Searcher

Searcher

My first tractor was an 8N Ford, I used it to load a truck with an old loader that had a trip pin to dump it.

Had a Ford 2000 gas industrial, Then a Massey Ferguson 30B, and also a MF 40E used for grading and loading trucks.

I work now ( dump trucking ) with tractors of all types doing earthwork on construction projects... Cat wheel loaders and ecavators, etc, etc.
    So "Yes" I like all tractors and it's a trip to work with them daily.

13. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

LOL, I have had several JD "A"'s, "B",model 60, "G" and even an early "R". (Not mentioning a VAC Case, 8N, and 9N Fords)

The "R" was an early diesel modeled on the gasoline type engines. It had 2 huge horizonal cylinders and a gasoline pony motor to start it... Oh...Also it had a "Torque Topper" accessory kit. (Propane injector).....It kept life interesting.

14. budd

budd

i like pro stock tractors

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Learned to drive on my grandfather '48 Oliver 70. Couldn't sit on the seat and reach the pedals when I started. my grandfather used Olivers for work tractors but had a '48 8N for mowing.
    When he died I bought the 8N from my grandmother. I've since overhauled the engine and have to strip the sheetmetral and paint it. It's been plowing my driveway for over 25 years.
    I've aquired a couple of Oliver 70's and plan a restoration on at least one of them. Got my choice of a narrow and a wide frontend.

Frank

16. zoomy

zoomy

51' Farmall Cub, 57' Farmall LoBoy, and a 57' COPAR Panzer here.

17. squirrel

squirrel

International TD 9 crawler, from the mid-late 40s. appears to have been a military unit, as most of the original paint is OD.

Attached Files:

18. Big Dad

Big Dad

I logged many a hour on Allis Chalmers

I bought a D-21 in junior / summer - senior year of high school

And a Hesston 30-a stacker .. me and a friend ran it 24/7
    till snow flew in fall ..

Paid them off in one long season ... I have a model tractor in my display case for that reason

We had wd-45 and 180 and Xt 190 and the D-21 ..

My grandpa had a oliver super 77 which my brother still owns
    and uncle Dale had a 880 and a 1855 Oliver

19. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Here's An old Farmall my pops "cleaned up"
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Oooooh all of you boys are SO on my Christmas list.:D I started with a Ford 9N, went on to several Farmalls, now working in John Deeres.

Lead to my current profession.......:rolleyes: I still play with our ranch tractors on my free time and play with the high dollar pieces on COMPANY time.:D

A Farmall I drug home and restored. We still have our Super H and 2 JD's.......altho personally, if it ain't red, leave it in the shed. :p

[​IMG]

My first flathead for my 9N.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll give you one guess who I work for.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm a freakin elf as well.:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Courtland and I rebuilt a basket case 8N when he was 10-12, now on to his truck. Still got a MF 135 trying to finish and a '48 JD A for his little brother. Standard around the farm is a '52 Super C (Farmall) and just picked up a '79 MF 265 with loader last week. Also have plenty of implements including a JD 14T baler and an few ancient sickle mowers and hay rakes. We have 6 acres of hay and 53 goats to keep us hopping when not working on the rods.

22. F&J

F&J

My 15 yr old son has a cub loboy done up, plus a big Minneapolis Moline 1949 industrial with a Lull bucket lift and we made an attachent to use forks from a fork lift to move car junk around. Plus we put a chevy 4wd power steering gearbox in it....steers nice..

He still is looking for a V8 60 flathead to put in his Panzer garden tractor that came with a factory narrowed 50s Dodge car rear end...

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Are there any tractor magazines?
    I know there are tractor shows and live steam shows...I'd LOVE to put one on, but have absolutly zero idea how to even break into the market to get the word out. Forums, regional or national magazines...what's out there?
    I spent summers staying with my grandparents and working on my uncle's farm. I have very fond memories of watching grandpa jump up onto the C and ride across the front pasture, mowing down the grass with the cycle bar. He bought the tractor new, and as far as I know, it's still up there in Wisconsin. I want to buy it from my cousin as soon as I get a place big enough to require it (working on that now!).
    When I wasn't actually old enough to ride the cabage planter, I'd spend days riding the fender of my uncle's JD 6020, trying to clear the tire spitting leaf-cut Redman over the side. He had two...I wouldn't mind getting one of those either.
    Other than the books at Barne's & Noble, what's out there for support and info?

-Brad

24. Reds 29

Reds 29

I have an Allis -Chalmers D-14 believe it's a '59. I Had a '41 John Deere B, hand start, wish I still had it. There's a lot of old John Deere and Allis-Chalmers tractors around here. I use mine around this place for plowing snow, etc. Guys around the corner must have 20-30 old John Deere two cylinders.
    I have a question for Brandy and others. I remember back in the late 70's early 80's a Case tractor that was flat black. If I remember most of them were white, but I saw a few in flat black. Is that paint still available, any other info about it. I'd think about using it on a project if I could find out more about it.
    Hemmings Motor News has a section on tractors now.
    Red

25. tomslik

tomslik

well, i've got a 43 9N with the west nile skeeter killer option....
    needs a motor SO bad it won't start under 50 degrees.....
    uses 2 gallons of gas, 2 quarts of oil and takes 2 hours to mow 2 acres......

26. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

My 1950 Farmall H. Straight off the farm with a piston kit already in it. Those Kansas farmers had a little hotrodder in 'em even back then.

Attached Files:

27. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Antique Power is one of the tractor mags out there, i let my subscription run out though, seemed like it got to be too many classifieds and ads and not enough features in it

28. I Grew Up With Drott And Case Construction Equipment Because My Dad Worked There. We Always Have Had A Case 580 Or Two Around. Lost Track Of How Many Machines We Bought, Fixed And Sold.
    I Recently Discovered A Weak Spot For Allis Chalmers Model D Graders. Here Is A Group Of 3 That Are In Various Stages Of Repair.
    I Think My Kids Are About The Only Young Ones Who Know What Drott Means Anymore.

Attached Files:

29. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

Brad,

The best magazine portal into the antique tractor world is "Antique Power", who also publishes a comprehensive booklet of events around the country.
    http://www.antiquepower.com/

For antique tractor pulling, "The Hook" is a GREAT magazine. Event coverage and some excellent tech articles. Pulling has become a fairly high tech situation with engine modifications that will lift your eyebrows. The best flowbench tech article I ever read in my life, was in The Hook.
    http://www.hookmagazine.com/

If you are brand specific, there are clubs associated with every make of tractor out there. They each have their own publication, the best of which is probably "Red Power" for the IH enthusiast. Dad subscribes to it and its a great magazine. For the Allis enthusiast, "Old Allis News" is a good magazine for members of the Allis club.

One tractor I expected to show up here is a Funk conversion for the "N" series Fords. A situation most folks here would love, and yes they were valid farming implements in their day. I haven't had the pleasure of association with one, but love them anyway.

I think you'll see why.
    [​IMG]

Conversion kits can be bought new here:
    http://www.staufferv8.com/

Old advertisment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah, its cool huh?

Hud

30. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

There's plenty of tractor magazines, Green Magazine (John Deere), Red Power (IH), Two Cylinder (Deere), Antique Power ( All Makes),Gas Engine ( Hit & Miss Engines, Steam Engines, Odd ball Tractors), and theres more i just can't remember them, plus there are plenty of tractor clubs too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.