Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t another art design question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

i supose this isnt realy as off topic as it could be, you dont build anything any better by not getting any smarter.

in my search for a suitable school with an industrail design program i came across a few that offer product design. touting it as preety much the same thing but for smaller projects or???

i just wanted to know what exactly the deferences in this would be, its alot of money for me to spend so i want to make the most informed choice that i can.

tia
    tim

not car related enough? ummm ill drive this to class everyday

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

guess no one else knows either:p

3. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

what do you mean by industrial design? Mabye your really looking for an engineering or drafting (CAD) program?

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

its an art design program, how things look. i already have gone to school for cad/engenering stuff and it just wasnt for me.

5. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my advise to you is go learn what you really want to do.....don't settle for what the closest or cheapest or whatever school offers.....do what you love the money will probably follow, that is if you work hard enough......

If you want to learn industrial design go to a school that offers industrial design, if you want to illustrate go to a school that offers illustration, or if you want to be a product designer go to a school that offers product design....etc...etc.....

If you want to be an industrial design GO FOR IT!!!!.....trust me...otherwise youll be one of those old people that always says...."man I wish I had done that when i was your age.".....

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ive looked threw tons of stuff and plan on industrail design , this is just something i had run across and wasnt familuar with so i thought id ask

7. Kaucher

Kaucher

Hey Tim, I'm an Industrial designer by trade. I went to Cal State University Northridge in Northridge California, There's also a program at Cal State Long Beach, UCLA, Art Center Pasadena. Did you surf the web? KK

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yeah ive found schools that i like that offer industrail design,but i was just wondering what the differences are between the two? because they offten list them together

tim

9. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I think product design is more directed towards consumer palatability, where-as industrial design is more getting it to work functionally, in a suitable form, kinda like prototyping perse.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Product Design and Transportation Design are both specialties within the larger field of Industrial Design. The same skills are used in both fields: drawing, rendering (on computers these days), model making.

Guys who specialize in product design may end up designing housewares, appliances, power tools, lighting fixtures, medical equipment, cameras, sound equipment -- anything. It's unlikely that they will get jobs designing cars.

Why aren't you asking these questions to the schools and the instructors that you're considering? If you listen to their answers, you'll know whether it's something you want to do or not.

11. Tim,
    50 fraud has a point in that, product and auto design is a specialized part of Industrial Design, try Toy design. Anyhow, you can ask these questions to the schools, but I HIGHLY recommend actually vistiting the schools on the top of your lists and talk to the students, not the recruiters. Yeah , half the time recruiters keep talking about 100% job placement and all that. Students and Graduates will give you the real lowdown. I personally would go he Industrial design route, so you'd be somewhat well rounded. By your senior year you'll know what you want to specialize in.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

well what if i ~gasp~ dont want to design cars lol, that seems to keep coming back around

is there going to be a huge differnce in what you can do with the degrees then??

schools are slow on getting info back to me, thus ask the hamb lol

tim

13. No matter how hard it is do what you want. Im an architect (6 years at uni, 4 years experience...fully registered and trained) but i wish id done straight grapic design....

Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be...

Cheers
    MAIKI

14. autocol

autocol

mai-ki... you and my brother can trade degrees...

15. Kaucher

Kaucher

Long Beach State offers a B.S. and has more engineering in their program, Cal State Northride, offers a B.A. and their focus is more on the creative side. Art Center is the best but it's also extremely expensive.

Also if you attend Art Center you won't be able to work even part time. there is 5Hrs of homework for every studio course you take. KK

16. KCsledz

KCsledz

check out Rhde Island School of Design. I don't know how industrial they get its been a while since I have looked at their stuff.

Or Ringling school of design in Florida.