Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Add me to the list of unemployed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not necessarily. If the state of California goes bankrupt, and cancels contracts with Kaiser Permanente as several other large employers have, KP may have trouble with solvency. No layoffs yet, but membership has dropped dramatically.

2. HOOKER HOT ROD

HOOKER HOT ROD

Dean, I feel your pain. Any plans to go back to CA

3. Thumper

Thumper

If nothin else guys check www.autozone.com They are always hiring somewhere. It may not pay the best but they have different positions (management etc.) open. With the backrounds most of you have, y'all would be an asset to the company. I wish everybody affected by the layoffs a quick recovery. I've been there myself.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. Not at this time.

5. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

keep on it fellas you'll find something. i been laid off for a few months and im part of the poor young crowd which makes it even harder to afford over a grand a month for rent and what have ya. i got depressed and stopped looking for 2 days and lost out on the chance of 5 jobs. all crappy but at this point a job is ajob. had my first day today at a new job and i made 1/4 what i was makin before. keep your head up and your ass out there as much as possible and yall will find something. i wish everyone good luck..

6. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

Don't want to hijack, Only read part of this thread, way too long and depressing... But on lighter news thought I'd maybe try and lighten it. I got let go back in September from my job. Basically lose me or two others... guess what... two months after buying my house...

Anyway to lighten it, I have a phone interview in the morning as Production Supervisor for Cargill. If ya get a chance tonite throw one up to the BIG MAN upstairs... All the savings is running out...

Thanks,
    Jay

7. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

this is getting serious we should keep this thread going. The economy is based completely on credit. In order to buy a car, a house, furniture, we get credit, and also to get more customers business needs credit, give everyvbody credit, and then raise the interest! but too late! everybody is gettinlayed off, so they quit buyin, and now we have found its a house of cards, and somebidy kicked the table!

8. diamond dave

diamond dave

I've been laid off since march of last year. In 17 years, I never filed unemployment. so, I think I'm alright collecting a little. I was a painter for the largest non union masonry company in ohio untill the union blackballed us. I took it as an oportunity to start my own custom rod and paint shop.
    It's been tough, but I'm pretty busy doing bikes and cars. I guess it's sink or swim. If all else fails, I'll just have to go back to beating panels on late models. and that will suck balls.
    good luck to everybody in 2009. hope the economy gets better.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well well, I have seen a glimmer of light.....sort of! First, I have my accommodation for the next three weeks guaranteed. Second is a convoluted one but it points me in a direction. As VA wont come to the party Social Security has!! I will be receiving unemployment as of the 3rd of next month!!
    Still dont know where I will go, I will get paid less than the average rent per week by about $100! But Im sure I will work something out!

On another side, I wonder what happened with 'Mark in Japan'? Never did get back to me. I knew the guy was full of shit.
    Doc.

10. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Get back to you about what?

Did you shoot me your resume?
    You eventually convinced me that you really are 'unhelpable' and have little to offer a prospective employer. I hope you manage to get back on your feet and do the things you want to do as best as possible in life.

Von Rigg (?) said to cool it.....I respected that....and I've been busy as hell at work.....where I want to stay!

Im glad to hear that The Aussie government actually does provide the minimal basics needed for human survival, and I accept that when I pay that huge chunk of my hard earned to support the society that WE, as a society CHOOSE to offer. That was kinda the point that made me want to weigh in on this thread in the first place.

To everyone else.....it DOES sound tuff.....many of us are, or have been, in places we never imagined......please keep your chins up and remember that folks with the 'hot rodding' state of mind always shine when somethin worthwile needs doin!

I hope things work out for y'all!!

Mark Back in the Garage:D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

BTW....is RENTAL ASSISTANCE as part of the Unemployment Benefit only in MY part of Australia, or are you just choosing not to mention that to our Overseas brothers?????

ANW this thread is all about THEM.....not me...or YOU.

nuff said by me

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes!! Enough said by YOU.
    Yup, rent assistance is 67 dollars. Huge huh? But as its a part of unemployment benefits I didn't think I had to break it down into the particular payment amounts. Or would you like me to put them up here for you too?
    I thought this thread was about everyone down on their luck? But in your little mind I don't count.
    With every post you just show the world the degree of ignorance we have to live with these days.
    Seriously makes me wonder why I ever cared enough about this country and all who live in it to have served the country.
    I am so embarrassed.
    Doc.

PS, I know this guy is only ragging on me, but does this piss any one els off. apart from you who have PM'd me?
    And I thought I was doing a good job of giving Aussies a bad name!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

14. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I've had a few PMs of support.

NONE telling me Im out of line.

I wished you the best for your life and sincerely hope you get the things you want in life. Thats all I can do.

I hope I didnt insult Von Rigg Fink, I simply couldn't remember the full name at the time.

If anyone thinks what I've said doesn't stack up, by all means, contact me.

Mark

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the hell? You flatly said that I am lying! Now you tell me that you hope things get better for me? Man work out just what you think is going on here and stick to it, I bet everyone that PMd you is Australian too, right?
    If you are sincere in wishing things get better. Thank you.
    Doc.

16. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Its HUGE when they take $67 out of my pay as EXTRA tax when I work OVERTIME. I'm sure you felt that way when you had your income too.

Unemployment benefit AINT EVER good livin, but you're not in the snow in a cardboard box like plenty of other victims of these economic times around the world.

Unemployment benefit in Australia is a set rate for EVERYONE (eg if you own your own mortgage)..........if you rent, they pay you EXTRA "rental-assistance" based on the rent that you pay (usually between 40 & 60% of your proven rent), over and above that.

17. Christ....I just got word yesterday that I might be out of a job next month due to mismanagement of funds by our new owner. On the other hand I did get offered another job awhile back but a year of drawing unemployment would give me time to finish my car! I,d be bringing home moree on unemployment than I would working due to the amount of deductions I have.Wait and see I suppose.....

18. parksquijada

parksquijada
    from norcal

I found if i worried about food and rent and stuff instead of my cars it was way easier to go out and get another job.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  19. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

The same thing is happening to me. I went to a couple of interviews recently and w/i the first few minutes talking with them I hear the same thing.
    It just sucks that I have to drop the kiddos off @ a babysitter paying by the hour to go on these 1 hour interviews that go nowhere. More money out of my pocket that I don't have.

That's the business to get into,babysitting/home daycare. These places charge $150.00 a week per kid. When my kids use to go to daycare fulltime I'd ask them what they did that day. I'd usually hear "watch TV or play w/ toys" NICE! So the TV babysits while I pay YOU to do whatever else it is your doing.

20. Abomination

Abomination

I have twins. Combined, we spent over $16k last year on daycare. :(

No shit, we're in the wrong business!!! LOL!

~Jason

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the only thing with this is...when all these people with kids are out of work..they will be home watching their own brats, and not paying for child care...its coming..my wife has a friend that Daycare is her job...the number of kids coming in to the daycare are becoming less and less each month.

22. Abomination

Abomination

I'm a witness to that. The amount of kids HAS been dwindling, now that you mention it...

They'll be four in March. Only a year or two until they're in school - no more daycare!

And $16k could buy a whole lot of tin garage in the back yard...

~Jason

23. fattrodder

fattrodder

Well me to last week 1st time the shop ever laid people off . i was one of the 1st group to go no reason . they went by high and low pay kept people in the middle.iam a mill set up lead .guess i have no reason not to work on my rod now.well at least i get unemployment

24. Bobaloo

Bobaloo
    from Tulsa, OK

I got my good news on 12/31/08. Still waiting for unemployment pay. All they can tell me is that it's only been a little over three weeks and that it could take six before I see anything.

25. wc chopper

wc chopper

I got some good news Chrysler called me back. I usually work part time there and I've been offered fulltime for the next few weeks while they get all the retirees out. Atleast it will bump up my unemployment till we get laid off again.

26. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

I got mine today. Work(ed) for a small company. Was bumped to part time two weeks ago and given my walking papers today. They have let about 10 go since Christmas. I'm part of the club now. :(

[​IMG]

27. I am done today. Guess I can sleep in the MiniVan. Anyone know what Dog tastes like?

28. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Unfortunately yes, but if your gonna eat it raw, HORSE is fantastic!!!!!

I wish you luck in getting that next job to tide you over til things get a bit better!

Your interview KEY:

"You've got lots of experience. Why would you want such a lowly position?"

"Having authority at work was great before, and I still love throwing myself into my work 9-5, but my kids are growing up so quick, so I am looking for a position that will give me the least mental distraction from my family after hours. Does this position meet that criteria? When can I start?"

29. Well Hot Damn---I finally got my first contract for 2009. Its about time too, as I was beginning to go bat shit trying to put the days in. Its not a very big contract either, but if it gets me thru the "January slump" then probably something else will turn up in February. In my business, (design of prototype machinery), there is always a 2 to 3 week "Lag" when the year turns over. It takes the money people that long to free up the purse strings on the new years budgets so that their company can start building new things. However, I have to admit, its pretty damn "hungry" out there right now. Automotive is flat on its ass, and everybody that is non automotive is so freaked out by all the negative publicity about the "Downturn" that they are afraid to spend any money.---Brian

30. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

In case you didn't notice, you didn't get a PM from me.

I'll tell you here. You're outta line.

No matter if you have issues with Doc or not, your comments seem like some sort of personal attack and that's not cool to me.

This should still be a traditional hot rod site, not a place to aggressively counter someones each and every statement. Just let it go.

Mark in Japan has over time, in my opinion, added alot of "value" to this site. These replies on this post, unfortunately, have added zero value.

Just saying.

Mark in Houston

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.