Register now to get rid of these ads!

ny registration/ title to nj?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captain j, Apr 9, 2012.

1. captain j

captain j

I recently purchased a 1931 Ford model a 5 window coupe. It came with a new York registration renew/transfer card. It has on the back where you could transfer it to someone else. The nj dmv said I need a title and this card won't work. I don't see why it wouldn't if it has a spot on it to be transferred? The card is from 1980. Has anyone had this issue? It seems like if someone working at the nj dmv doesn't know the just say "no" Instead of trying to figure it out or just do it for me.

2. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

We only had registrations until 1973, after that all new cars came with a title, anything older than 73 still has a registration. I would just go back find a different person, if still no good ask to speak to a manager.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What he said, there are no titles before 1973.

Pat

4. chris' 38

chris' 38

As long as the registration card says transferable on the front it acts as the title for pre '73 cars. Does it say transferable?

5. captain j

captain j

Great, that's very helpful information. I'll just try a different dmv. Like I said if they don't know something they just turn you away.

6. cederholm

cederholm

Bought my '53 with a Penn title, took it to NY DMV to register it and they kept the title and handed me a transferable registration. I wasn't pleased about loosing the title but that's the way it is...

7. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Heres what they want. A noterized bill of sale with both urs and the sellers signature. They alsobcant either a pic of a pencil etch type thing of ur vin number. What did i do? Well, i had a bill of sale with both our signature and my friend noterized it. and my trucks vin tag fell off who knows when...so i stamped my vin on a block of wood and did my pencil etch off of that. Easy peasy. Hope this helped.

8. rld14

rld14

That's bullshit.

Look at my Avatar, I bought that out of NY State with a transferrable registration.

You need:

Signed off transferrable reg.
    Notarized bill of sale
    Picture or pencil rubbing of VIN.

9. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Also want a pic or a pencil ** ....sorry

10. captain j

captain j

The front of it doesn't say transferable but it does say New York state registration Renewal/Transfer and on the back it says transfer stub, and transferred to (blank for name) .
    I have a bill of sale, just need it notarized. I tried to pencil copy the vin # but it didn't come out. So I took a pic of it.

11. rld14

rld14

Captain,

NY Regs say either transferrable or nontransferrable. If it says Nontransferrable ya have a problem, but if it says Transferrable you're good to go.

I transferred the Ford into NJ (And got a Jersey title on the spot) at the Lodi DMV, theyre pretty cool to deal with. If you get totally beat let me know, I work for a dealer group and I'll call our people at NJCAR and see if they can help ya out.

12. captain j

captain j

Nowhere on it does it say nontransferable, so I should be good. Now I gotta try to get this bill of sale notarized.

13. rld14

rld14

As long as it's for an older car and doesn't say Nontransferrable then you're cool.

Here's what the NJ MVC has about situations like this on their website:

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/nontitled.pdf

Worst case, print it out and bring it with ya.

14. Fenders

Fenders

Neither here nor there so maybe OT but you sometimes see old Notary stamps at flea markets....

15. captain j

captain j

I ended up doing another bill of sale and got it notarized for my signature. I then sent it back to the owner and he got his part notarized. I then went to the runnemead, nj dmv because they do antique historic plates there. She didn't look at anything but the 2 photos of it and the ny reg/transfer card. Never asked for a bill of sale.
    I guess it all depends on who you get.