Register now to get rid of these ads!

NTB 49-53 Flathead Questions

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by OldSchoolRodz, Feb 15, 2009.

1. I'm here looking for some new blood. I'm a regular on FTE but there seems to be a shortage in that community of Flathead enthusiasts.

I picked up a restored 53 F100 running chassis from a build shop that completed the restoration for a feller; who after the fact was dissappointed in his trucks performance. He brought it back within the year for a modern chassis, IFS, and a modern driveline. Anuther freakin glossy Hot Rodder.

It seems to run fine, was a Resto Rebuild VS a Perf Rebuild. I'm all about the nostalgia, so I decided to drop my 55 Cab on the 53 Chassis and roll Older Skool than my vintage Y-Block.

So here's what I'm lookin for:

1) There seem to have been a number of advances and differences over the Flatheads long production run, what are the differences in my last incarnation of the venerable Flathead?

2) What kind of horsepower can I expect from a stock 49 - 53 Flattie?

3) Since I dont know the proficiency of the shop that rebuilt my engine, I dont want to risk pushing it to it's engineering limits. Could you help me proiritize modifications on a cost value basis that would increase it's performance (short of tearing down or rebuilding a good running rebuilt motor ), without compromising it's daily drivability?

4) Any cautions or recommendations that you can offer to help me enjoy and take care of my new Grrrl?

Keep it Kool / Keep it Old School, David

2. Heads up, less use of the 'z' will see you get more help round here. And real flathead guys spell school just like that.

Main differences with your engine are insert bearings and a 'normal' type distributor.

Now, that out of the way, for a stocker the factory said 85.

Mods you may consider include a good tune up from a shop that knows what it's doing, some headers and perhaps a 2 carb manifold.

Take care with very regular oil changes. Oil is cheap.

Apart from that you'll get a lot more response on the main board.

Enjoy the truck.