Register now to get rid of these ads!

Now what did I buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Belchfire8, May 21, 2009.

1. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I went back to the guy with the Eddie Meyer intake and bought a box of junk, had to take it all to get any of it. I saw the breathers and thought they would be worth his price, but there's a lot of other stuff that i don't know if it's any good or not. I have 24 of the valves, some look like they've never been in an engine. The carb has the Ford logo on it and the number one in a stamped circle and EBU on it. one head is marked 52-8050-B and also has HT on it. the other head is marked 52-6050-B and HT1. 17 studs...... V8 60?

Attached Files:

2. chevy3755

chevy3755

thats they way to buy STUFF........

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

AFAIK, the only 17 stud heads were for V8-60hp. Never were a lot of them , so probably rare, but I expect demand is low!
    Dave

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Those V8-60 heads are 37-38 aluminum production heads, they were replaced by iron ones in 39-40. There were 10s of thousands of the V8-60 produced between 37-40 and later overseas. The 37-39 engines are known as "tin sides" because the outer water jackets are stamped steel welded to the cast block. The 40 engines are different and have fully cast blocks and different cranks.
    Very nice.

5. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Thanks guys, anyone know if the Offy breathers are made just for a flatty? they are slanted where they'd bolt onto the motor...

6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Don't think the breathers are for a flathead? They are an add on for the cast offy or other brand valve covers!

7. alchemy

alchemy

The breathers are regular old 60's to modern time for installation on overhead's valve covers. I had a pair exactly like them listed in the classifieds and just sold them after quite a while, for $100.

8. The Offy breathers are really just for OHV rocker covers and kind of strange to be in a box of V8-60 goodies. That said, they are probably the most valueable of the lot.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

FWIW Yours seem to be like these. The mounting surface is not square to the breather body so they are close to vertical when bolted to a canted valve cover.

10. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

O.K. thanks, I thought that i had seen on here a while back that the flatties used breathers on the block, these one seemed like they were slanted the wrong way to use on a block though. Guess i got some stuff for the classifieds. Oh yeah i found that the carb is for a '54 Ford.