Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2016 Banger Meet - Shorter Days Up North***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 31, 2016.

1. My Evans doesn't have the boss for a bell crank

2. I had an Evans with out a boss and a plain one with a boss added by welding

3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

If it's only dented and not punctured, use it as is.

4. The question is, if the dent is up, does that mean the float won't close. If yes. can I fix it by making that area heavy enough to always be on the bottom

5. I've had both the plain and the one with Evans on it and they were identical with fairly large runners

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

cactus1 likes this.
  6. Weight is critical on that type of float. Have you tried boiling water? Some dents will pop out as heat expands interior pressure increases. If both halves are well tinned they can be resoldered . I have repaired a float that leaked at the joint. When I say well tinned I mean clean up original solder not add a bunch more. When R.E.M. Made his side drafts his main problem was finding a float of the proper weight. I don't want to insult your intelligence but submerging in hot water is how you check for leaks and, in some instances how you pop out dents. You could probably bend the tab (lever) far enough to compensate for the dent. I bend them in a small vise as the bosses will break in the old pot metal

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Bill

I run ping-pong ball floats.... somehow I remember someone making replicas.

Besides weighing the floats you should see how much they displace.

8. RussTee

RussTee

Another quake in NZ two deaths known most of the regulars ok thanks for the emails guys

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

a tsunami is following . be safe guys

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. RussTee

RussTee

Can anyone reconmend a good site for reconditioning model S Winfield carbs jet sizes ect. Carbs are throttle body S-I B 38 mm throat float bowlSER SBD they are downdraft carb I need to go through them as they appear to be flooding . I have seen the usual setup sheets

11. callcoy

callcoy

Call Dan Price in Ohio, he has been working on an adapter but I don't remember which one. I was with him at Bonneville and Hershey, try both numbers 740-965- 2515 or 614-477-4768 tell him Ribeau told you to call. If he doesn't have it ask him about Martinez' adapter, just got back from El Mirage with him but I don't remember what adapter he is making, if he has has what you need, Dan will give you Greg's number. Dan is doing a 32 right now, yes it is different than a "A" but he may still be able to help out.

I was unaware of the width difference between the A and the B, I have always just used the A flywheel housing and used a cut up B pan.

Dannerr likes this.
  12. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Are you using a fuel pump?? If so, what pressure is the pump output regulated to?? I am guessing you have already adjusted the float level as per the attached instructions??

http://www.classicandexotic.com/manuals/winfieldscarburetor.pdf
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/winfieldinstructions.htm

If you have done this already, you may also want to contact Steve Sturim over on the FordBarn. He reproduces gaskets for the "S" Winfield Carburettors and I seem to recall that he overhauls them. He might be able to help diagnose your flooding problems. Here is his profile page. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=2604

13. Fuel pressure should not be over 1 3/4 to 2 lbs unless you have lapped the float needle then you can go a little higher I would suggest you set idle mixture screw, which by the way controls the amount of air so opening leans the mixture, at 10 or 12 clicks to start. Intermediates I start at 27 or 28 clicks. High speed's I run at 34 clicks. I am running duals. If they are flooding either the float level is too high or you have too much fuel pressure. What you have are some of the most simple and most easy to understand carburetors. Each circuit Idle, intermediate and, high are all simple to adjust , just count the clicks and don't force anything. If you have to adjust the float level I recommend taking the lever out and bending in a suitable fixture such as a small vise as the old pot metal is pretty weak. also count the clicks and back the needles way our cause if you miss the hole when you put it back together you will bend a needle. I adjust the fuel levels with the engine off.

14. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks guys this is the information I need nobody here has Winfield so its a bit of guess work it is almost for sure to much fuel pressure have the car running and drivable with two Holden carbs(similar to 97s ) but is not running well the Rutherford head has very large ports so needs air speed So I am thinking if I can get the Winfields going it should give better performance plus it is the challenge of getting the vintage Winfields on a Rutherford head running well they look so cool and this type of motor is just not seen here if anyone else has a similar set up please posts pics they all help me (a pic is worth a thousand words they say) at least it is drivable and legal now its into fine tunning and tweaking.

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

got pix of the head ? don't hurt the winfields .

16. RussTee

RussTee

17. RussTee

RussTee

18. RussTee

RussTee

Those are the holden carbs I am hopeing to replace with Winfields

19. RussTee

RussTee

20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very nice set-up . I had 2 winfields at one time & they were good .
    after looking again that is a dream motor & in a "T" ! very impressive .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Take a banger to work day!!!!! Even if it is only 34 deg. Out [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice coupe . how loud is it ?

drove mine to coffee @ 37*

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

24660 Narbonne Ave.
    Lomita, CA 90717
    Office (310) 325-4303
    Fax (310) 325-4303
    [email protected]
    the only place I found that rebuilds winfields . hope this helps .................

24. RussTee

RussTee

Thank V4F have found my fuel pressure is way nto high for a start checked all the nos on bowls throttle bodies they match will start by lowering the fuel pressure check float levals and follow just plain Bills settings and work from there thanks any advise is good

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I changed to a weber . it just works ez . getting lazy in my old body . mine is a flathead ... coupe2.jpeg

26. RussTee

RussTee

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

daily driver

28. V4f and RussTee

Very nic car and great looking engine !

The B size main jet should measure .087 o .089 although I have had some that were drilled out to .090 to .093 maybe their tools just got dull. I check with pin gauges. The air bleeds should be a #28 drill size or .140. Most air bleeds have been drilled out but overall operation is better with proper size. The air bleeds affect the recovery of the carburetor after a hard pull when you put your foot back in it the fuel in the wells is too low and the engine may stumble.

29. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks Bill will check that