Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not your ordinary 1940 Dodge pickup build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MillerLite, Jul 3, 2011.

1. erlomd

erlomd

yes you did its post 39...lol the tank looks great. cant wait to see the straps.

2. MillerLite

MillerLite

Thank you! :D If I can be of any help with your truck just hit me up!

3. MillerLite

MillerLite

OK so oil filter in and piped. stared working on the headers I decided to polish the tips and use titanium exhaust wrap on the rest. Waiting for the wrap to com in had some time for polishing.

Braded hoses look cool and are very flexible, 500psi rating and heat resistant.
    [​IMG]

I used swivel fitting in both sides so it is easier to change the oil filter, it has to look good and function as well.

[​IMG]

Hung the Hildebrandt oil filer to match the bodyline and keep some company to the HEMI, most of the oil lines will be hidden by the lakers...

[​IMG]

Sneak peek of the Lakers... Still need a whole lot of cleaning and sanding. I will be painting them in exhaust heat paint for protection, them wrapping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully the wrap, my tufted vinyl and carpet come in this week so I can have the interior 80% done. Did some more organizing with the wiring.

More to come....

4. MillerLite

MillerLite

I have some copper laying around that I originally planned to use for the strap, well see. I am between the leather or copper.

5. erlomd

erlomd

If they are copper sheets I would lay the copper on the tank and have brown Leather straps about 1/4 inch narrower and lay the leather straps on top to have all 3 looks....polished stainless, copper, and leather....just my to cents.:cool:

Look at this watch for instance, think of the copper as the bottom of the 2 straps and the leather the middle thiner strap so the two show...hell, you can even stitch the leather to make it all look like a wristwatch strap...I don't know I like the idea...maybe even punch out 1/2" holes in the middle of the leather as well...it can get mighty creative.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. erlomd

erlomd

that dimond pattern reminds me of the seats on the haunted mansion ride at disney...way cool

[​IMG]

7. Cool truck. Lots of work for sure. Did you give any thought to chopping that grill shell down some? Will it hit the ground when you drive it? Also will you get a ticket in Florida for obscurred vision with that big ass motor in front of your nose like that? Just wondering out loud here.

8. MillerLite

MillerLite

Yes about the grille, but the goal was to have that look when the suspension is dropped it does clear 5-6 inches when driving pressure is set. I was very tricky while building to set the height of the chin of the grille so the top of it would line up with the same angle and height of the firewall and also lay low when the car went down. I had to modify the lower bottom of the grille so it would fit that tight. Other mods to that grille was shaving the radiator cap hole and the bottom sides had some sharp angles were I filled them and gave it a nice swooping angle to match the same line in the cab. So yes, lol, it supposed to be that low. :D

About the ticket I never thought about it, really do not care. The build had a set stance and look and I am sure there is some law that states that, but I really had the vision of this build for a while so even though I do not believe in challenging the law, in this instance had to do it. On that note my windshield is a dollar bill high so that is up to code :D I had issues in the past with cars and trucks I have build being too low, too loud, air suspension law issues , but in the other hand I do not drive like I stole it so cops appreciate and do not pick on me that bad.

It does hinder some vision in the cab but the best part is to look at a 671 blower whining in front of your face while a vintage HEMI is trying to rip itself from the frame... :D

9. Holy shit man! You cut that top low! Don't you like the room inside the cab even with the chop? I picked up a chopped '40 Dodge this past weekend, and I still can't believe how much room it has in it. Keep up the good work.

10. erlomd

erlomd

I've been inside his truck and it's very roomy...well head room...leg room is another story...but I'm 6'1"....visibility is a little obscured of course but the scenery is nice at least...but I know what you mean, even with the top chopped it docent feel like the roof is collapsing in.

11. It's nice! These Dodges are really deceptive as to how big they actually are. You can't tell it in the picture.

12. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

wow! amazing work! you hit it spot on. thanks for sharing the build.

george

13. MillerLite

MillerLite

Alright so after many hours upholstering and making panels bed is almost there. It was a pain to align all the diamonds while laying the panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on the straps, these are the copper strips I cut and cross drilled them. I am getting some leather tomorrow and laying under it. But this should give you guys a idea.

[​IMG]

14. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

NICE RIDE! I love it! I'm also not usually a big fan of the bobber truck, but you've changed my mind with your build. I can't wait to see it finished. Probably not as excited about it as you are though! :)

15. erlomd

erlomd

That paneling and the straps came out bitchin...I know it will be more practical with the leather straps too...give some contrast...great job man

16. MillerLite

MillerLite

yes loved it but it looked awkward due to the size of it compared to the rest of the build. 8" chop and I still have room, but in the other hand I am 6-3 240lbs and still fit ok lol

17. MillerLite

MillerLite

Thank you :D more to come...

18. erlomd

erlomd

so whats up man, any more progress?

19. MillerLite

MillerLite

Wrapped the headers today and sure learned how hard it is to wrap lake pipes.

3 hours later here it is....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

look pretty damn good ,that stuff can be a real PITA

21. One of the sickess builds i've seen in awhile
    well done!!!!

22. erlomd

erlomd

Nice work man....must have been itchy for hours too...but, they came out real nice

23. MillerLite

MillerLite

OK headers in for mock up, been waiting for the gaskets no news yet. Should have them bolted up by Friday. Been working on the wiring and carpet. Slow start for the week waiting for stuff to come in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Rusty46

Rusty46

Love the truck and love the fact that it has a HEMI in it!!

A '39 Plymouth grille would be TITS on that truck!!

25. erlomd

erlomd

That looks good, real good....maybe a little too good..:eek:

26. Very very nice PU, really love all the detail inside and out.
    Thanks for all the build pictures.

27. MillerLite

MillerLite

Thank you ...I looked at many different grilles but I always wanted that front end on a truck along with jag rear, blown HEMI etc... The other issue was also that it was hard to squeeze that HEMI between the grille and firewall still keeping the overall look and many other dodge grilles were very deep. So the 32 was right at home when I did the math.

28. MillerLite

MillerLite

Thank you, I'm glad I can share the build w some people that actually understand it.... lol

29. MillerLite

MillerLite

LOL, Ill try to get better pics this weekend with a real camera....these cel phone pictures suck!!!

30. Little Terry

Little Terry

Looks really nice. Love the colour and what you did with the motor of course!

LT.