Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Not another '32 Ford..Arghhhh!!! Too many??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagerods, Apr 8, 2010.

1. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I don't think there are to many 32s. I think there are to many done the same. Small block, auto and everything else just a selection of kits from a catalogue all assembled together. It makes modern street rodding about as boring as a local supermarket car park.

2. When I started to seriously look at owning a '30s car after decades of having a '60s car as a daily, I really yearned for a '32 hi-boy roadster. Then when I started to check out what was for sale I quickly realised that many of the ones I saw had no soul. They were in fact only a few years old with no real history or stories of ownership.

For me I love the historical aspect of what traditional motoring offers. Thankfully my lady is on the same page, with two of her own cars. After a good 12 months of looking for '32's, I switched my thinking. It was the 'story' that really mattered to me. A car that may have started as an every day family car...then maybe traded... sold ... and ended up junked or as a Hot Rod or mild to wild custom and was given a new lease on life. Likewise it meant a lot to that owner as they created their own memories that maybe meant as much as the first owner.

Either way' I feel that many of us here are here because of our lived experiences in our own families. Reading this post from the start I thought back as to why I craved a '32 ??? ... Well it was Milner's yellow Coupe in American Graffiti. The coolest of cool and all at went with it. I chose to go the way of custom cars not because I didn't like Hot Rods anymore, it's just that there were far more of them around than I realised. Hence I ended up with a '39 custom which has a killer back story and 83 years of owners with stories attached.

At times when we are out and about cruzing... I feel those years rolling over me and it feels great to be the current custodian and creating my part of that 83 year story.

Secretly though ... I still covet an original henry steel '32 !! what can I say ... I'm bitten.

:)

The37Kid and bowie like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a great outlook OzMerc39, I think there a lot of caretakers that feel the same way, I do.

Bob

OzMerc39 likes this.
  4. Thanks Bob ... Our time on earth is short and enjoyment of things makes that time so much better.

5. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Yes to many the same,black on black on black with black wheels and merc hub caps