Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Not all car guys are cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Langan, Jul 13, 2014.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

When I was a kid, I hung out at at pool hall owned by a friend of my sister.
    Every Sunday night I would be given paper bags full of cash by the owner to give to a car with 2 guys in it , every week it was a different location, behind a church, in the park, at a closed gas station, always different car but the same two guys.
    One delivery I got to thinking , wonder how much is in here ? I started counting it before delivery, it was always 50 to 75k at a shot, every week.
    Kind of figured this aint comming from pool games & if I get caught I need more than free pool games for doing this. When I told her about it she got a new delivery boy and I got a talking too about what might happen if the wrong people found out.

2. Since this came back up I will relate a something that happened to my dad,he had a small business in a small town..he closed up early on Christmas Eve to run down to Gallent-Belk to pickup something for mom and I doing so he had put the cash & checks in a deposit bag since the bank wasn't open and he was just going to carry it home.

When he was getting the gift wrapped he had removed his overcoat and laid it on the counter,,as you can imagine the store was busy on Christmas Eve and this is before the world expanded so everything was in town.

Dad put on his coat and paid the lady for wrapping the gift and came home..when he removed his overcoat he reached in the breast pocket and the bank bag was gone!

This was in 1960 and my dad was in a panic,,since we didn't have a phone he ran back to the old sedan delivery and made a bee line back to town and Gallent-Belk only to find they had already closed. Dad returned dejected and worried...a little over 500 bucks in 1960 dollars was a fortune to my father.

Dad tried to put on a brave front but we could tell he was worried about paying bills and rent knowing all were due the first of the month.

Christmas morning came and my sister and I were playing with the toys Santa brought and mom was reading Christmas dinner..Dad was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and the door bell ran,I answered the door and a man there ask for my dad.

Dad went to the door and the man introduced himself and said he was Robert Gallent and a lady in the women department had found the bank deposit bag when she was cleaning up to close.

I never saw my dad hug another man in my life but he did Mr. Gallent,dad invited him in for coffee but he said he had to get back home to his family.

As soon as the stores reopen after Christmas my dad went in a gave the lady 20 dollars and told her he appreciated her honesty,from that day own if my dad could buy what he wanted it Gallent-Belk that's where he bought it.

Honesty really is the best policy. HRP

Hitchhiker and nailhead29A like this.
  3. Really sucks to hear. 3k is a chunk of money to lose, I don't care how rich you are. I hope you at least get the ID and cards back.

Same as others have said, whenever I go to a swap, I split my money three ways. 1/3 in my wallet. 1/3 in my right front pocket, and 1/3 in my left front pocket. The wallet goes in a front pocket as well. Not the most comfortable, but I don't worry about losing it when I crouch down to look at a part.
    I split it 3 ways because I find it easier to negotiate on prices when I don't have a stack of cash. I can pull out some money to show them I mean business, but I'm not pulling twenties off a big stack. Some guys will get firm on their price really quick if they see you have a big bundle.

And a story of my own. There aren't many drive through bank machines where I am, but I did go through one on my way to a swap meet, as I'd forgotten to hit the bank earlier and I was in a rush. As I pulled up, the screen is displaying "Would you like to complete another transaction" or something to that extent. I realized someone had withdrawn money, and driven away, leaving their bank card in the machine and the machine still logged into their account.
    I'll admit, there was a little bit of temptation to peek at the account balances, just out of curiosity, but withdrawing money didn't even cross my mind until later. Course, my bank trip took twice as long because I had to take the card into the bank and explain the situation.

4. Searcher

Searcher

I lost a wallet once in the back seat of a 56 Ford when I was 15 .... the guys dad that owned the car returned it the next day.... after that I always carried my wallet in my front pocket.....

The story sounds way fishy about them giving it to cops in black shirts..... If you know how to read people you can tell if there hidding something / lying ... It would have been worth a call to the cops and relay their story to them to see what your options were right then and there in front of the vendors, if you were positive that where it went missing ?
    And like was mentioned there are good and bad prople in all walks of life .... but in large crowds you need to be extra carefull.

5. Many venders aren't "car guys" just junk peddlers, but not all "car guys" are honest. The vender took your money!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I found a wallet laying in the parking lot at our local Walmart grocery store a while back. I took it into the service desk but could tell by the clerks lackluster attitude they were just going to put it in the office and do nothing , so I kept it and called the Sheriffs office to have an Officer come by. When he got there and was looking through the wallet for information a family walked up and said they had lost it. The cop compared the guys picture on his license to his face and handed them the wallet.

That is what the vendor should have done if he was on the up and up. I still think the vendor scored big time.

Don

7. About 5:00 in.

Hey,,?? You ain't no G-man ! Gimme back my firedackers.

8. I was at a local bar last night and one lady was sitting at the bar and I saw a roll of bills fall from her dress pocket. I walked over, picked it up and handed it back to her, she said thanks. She's a regular and so is almost everyone else on certain nights. There were a couple of $100 bills in there. Glad I was the one to see it happen.