Register now to get rid of these ads!

NOS injected flame thrower question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBRmeASAP, Oct 7, 2003.

1. help me out, i just got it fired tonight (big smile on my face) and i believe i'm running rich... what size jets work the best, i currently have .026 in and want(figure) to go smaller, wondering what you use, rather than pickin up tons of sizes i will never use, anyone???

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Uh... never heard of this... not sure what to tell you, other than I don't think they go much smaller than .017.
    You might have to go with a blank and drill it...

Hope this helped. [​IMG]

3. Jaker

Jaker

Welcome to the flame throwing club!
    Your set-up sounds pretty cool-can't wait to check it out,
    Is the 54 ready for the hunnert?

4. [ QUOTE ]
    help me out, i just got it fired tonight (big smile on my face) and i believe i'm running rich... what size jets work the best, i currently have .026 in and want(figure) to go smaller, wondering what you use, rather than pickin up tons of sizes i will never use, anyone???

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the problem? Are your flames too smokey? Do you want larger flames? Do you want smaller flames? What's the word? If you're having trouble w/ the flow of gas not lighting you will probably want to move your nozzles back further for better atomization.

I might be able to help w/ a little more info.

Also, if your trying to blow biiiig flames you'll need to do the following:

Get rid of the solenoids (they limit flow to 6 PSI's, even if you have a 75 PSI electric EFI pump). You can replace them with a flow check valve. This thing lets fuel flow forward but not backwards, preventing lit fuel from flowing back into your pump and then into your tank. You can also get rid of your nozzles and clamp pieces of crimped brake line in so you actually get a spray rather than a fog.

I'm going through all this stuff right now and it's really just trial and error. I have also resigned myself to the fact that there is no "safe" way to fire big flames.

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

sounds dangerous. and fun!

6. guess the problem is one of a few things...
    1. i need to get a split manifold (still brazing the thing) for the stovebolt the split pipe isn't half n' half
    2. finish rebuilding the carbs for the 2x1= more air flow
    both of those have to wait for spring.
    the problem now is when i hit the button for the solenoids i'm guessing there is just to much gas to fire it up, it's not flaming for about 5-10 seconds, and it throws best on decelorational eventhough there are 2 plugs in each pipe. it is also spitting out raw gas on the ground when sitting still and reving her up, my guess to much gas. the nozzles are as far back as possible with the way the pipes are they are about 8" from the plugs. Since i kind screwed up one nozzle, i do like your idea of the "spray bar" more info on that would be great. the flames are ok when they hit, but it's not as regular as i want, it's kinda tricky to get them to blow at the same time. I just believe there is more raw gas than burnt how are you set up?
    inquiring minds want to know

7. chuck fahr

chuck fahr
    from s.w. wis.

8. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

9. Bugman

Bugman

Not entirley safe, and kinda stupid tip. We all know liquid gas doesn't burn. What we need is gas vapor. Down stream from the solinoids/check valves/whatever, wrap some steel brake line around the exhaust pipe. The heat from the exhaust pipe will vaporize the gas before it's injected into the pipe. Better bigger flames, and no liquid gas burning on the ground [​IMG]

-Jeff Tanko

10. [ QUOTE ]
    Not entirley safe, and kinda stupid tip. We all know liquid gas doesn't burn. What we need is gas vapor. Down stream from the solinoids/check valves/whatever, wrap some steel brake line around the exhaust pipe. The heat from the exhaust pipe will vaporize the gas before it's injected into the pipe. Better bigger flames, and no liquid gas burning on the ground [​IMG]

-Jeff Tanko

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...not too sure about that one there Jeff. Just the vapors from gasoline are more than sufficient to get ignition in its liquid state. Besides, half the fun of running an injection system is to spray gas out on to the pavement as you slowly roll forward for about 10 feet, then light it up [​IMG] Cool Back to the Future effect.

Anyway, it sounds like you really do need to straighten out your induction system if you're getting that much unburnt fuel. I'm starting to get out of my comfort zone in terms of knowledge here and figure it's time to stop dispensing advice...but as soon as I get further into my system I'll post the details.

11. Don't stop with the advice... i'm really interested in the spray bar idea, got any pics or more info, PLEASE. since if fucked up one nozzle i'd rather move them further back and use your idea of the spray bar...more info!!!