Register now to get rid of these ads!

NORTH WEST!! whos up for some speed trials on a real dry lake?!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Sep 20, 2007.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

Hey all, coming soon to a dry lake bed in The Oregon High desert, we are going to try to gain access to use it for dry lakes racing and start a timing association, NCTA (Northern Cascade Timing Association), to govern the events. We have a possible chance to start something here in the NW that hasn't been seen here before. I would like any and all clubs as well as individuals in the NW that feel they would like to actually USE their hot rods to consider joining this newly forming timing association. Please send me an email with your thoughts comments and concerns. look for forthcoming information and developments on the speed trials and races. Also, look forward to the possibility of vintage/nostalgia drags coming next summer here in the portland metro/vancouver area brought to you by the now forming NCTA. We have a myspace page (myspace.com/nctaspeed) so if youre interested thats where new news can be found on and i will try and post it here for those who are interested. i need input and commited attendees to make this happen, so all you north west, nevada, and cali people to let me know what you think!!!!

(side note, myslef and another in my club are building a period late 40's belly tank lakester and another club from alberta canada will be building a 29 roadster to bring down and run out on the dry lake!!)

just look, cant you see yourself screeming across this place in your car?!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Justin B

Justin B

very interesting,

how big is the lake/ planned course length?
    will it be based on the scta rules or more of a run your hot rod kinda deal?
    hows the access to the lake?
    any towns close by?

i could be very interesed in coming up that was to check out an event

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This would be RAD if it could be pulled off......do you have any info that could be sent out???? I'll spread the word at my next club meeting!

4. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

the info i have so far is that the lake is open for use for anyone no permits needed. but i will be calling the city (theres a town just outside of the lake) to confirm wether or not we'd need some kinda permit to hold an event there. i will also be trying to raise money to make sure there emergency services available for the event to make sure every one is safe. Alvord Dry Lake is from what i read 11 miles in length and 7 miles wide so we have plenty of room to run!!! as far as rules go thats where i want and need input, my sentiment is for the first year or so have it more or less a run what ya brung type deal within reason and maybe have an actual competition class as well. but i would like to have it under SCTA type rules at some point. so any input every one could give me is much appreciated!!!

5. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm interested also. Sinister..what club do you belong to?

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The HAMB Hi-Speed weekender!!!!

Bullsac- Demonos....

7. Brandi

Brandi

8. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

whats the elevation? keep the rules the same as the scta and maxton and texas,that will make it better,then guys can say they hold records at muroc,b-ville etc.
    since i live in fl i wont be racing with you,its just too far!!

9. Duke told me about this, any idea on dates??

10. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

My mom used to live at the White Horse Ranch near Fields Oregon. Been out on the Alvord several times. I beleive it is at 4000 feet in elevation. I'm sure we could pull of some time trials, there are people always out there running around.

Just need to plot a course and keep the knuckleheads from crossing it during your runs.

11. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

yea Fields is the town near it, ive read theres a lil hotel there if anyone didnt want to like camp out or something. we were thinking about setting up a shit ton of cones and put up signs and stuff and go around to let anyone there no not to go through the cones and to pass on the word that way there are no accidents.. but if you cant hear the cars we'll be running before you see em.. you need to get yer hearing checked hahaha. and no clue on dates yet, it wont be till next summer of course. if anyone in the are wants to get together just to go and check it out and have some fun let me know. me and duke want to go down and check it out soon.

12. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

this is the location of the dry lake for those who have never heard of it or dont know what im talking about.

[​IMG]

13. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Wow this could be really cool!

14. plan9

plan9

excellant idea,
    my suggestion is to perhaps go out to the lakebed and check the surface, it may not be good enough for racing. also, i know its a desert but what is the annual rainfall? that sounds like a lot of fun

15. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I believe the lake bed gets less than 10" of rain a year. Most of which happens winter and early spring. I have driven on the lake bed and seems decent. I guess a fella would have to pick up some speed and see how it handles.

Here is a random movie of a pinz on the lake bed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUrK5F8nHY

a pic too

Attached Files:

16. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I have family just outside of Klamath Falls, so this trip would be very doable for me....
    I looked on the map....that lake is wayyyy out there in the middle of NOWHERE.........PERFECT!!!!!

17. plan9

plan9

looks like a party to me...
    what the hell are you guys waitin' for??? ;)

18. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

sounds awsome ill spread the word around here

19. f%*# billet

f%*# billet
    from nor cal

cool,about a 4 or 5 hr drive for me

20. Sanderson37

Sanderson37

Im up in central washington but would definetly make the trip down if somethin was going on.

21. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well it should be suitable for racing.. its been used before for land speed records (womens unofficial land speed record was set there in 1976).

22. I would suggest you go to El Mirage,to see how they run things,
    and what is involved. Timing equipment,tech inspections,
    portapotties,food concessions,cleaning the area before and
    after an event,etc.

And contact SCTA to see what suggestions they might have.

DEFINATELY avoid scheduling conflicts with Bonneville and El Mirage.

23. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

actually GOING would not be feasible for me but i do plan on contacting the SCTA to see how they do things. theres a reason why im setting up events like they have there, here in oregon. its not possible for many of us to make it to places like bonneville and el mirage yearly or when ever the event may be. but i do plan on making sure that all the previsions and most of the amentaties that you would find at those events will be available to those attending this one.

speaking of, does any one have specific contact information to someone in the SCTA that could help me out??

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe post this over at Landracing.com and see what the response is. There's a bunch of SCTA oldtimers that frequent that site and they probably know all the inner workings of putting on something like this.

25. leftcoast66

leftcoast66
    from Duvall

I'd be in, let me know when and I'm sure I'll do my best to get down to atleast watch, and once out of college I'd run down there and race. Good luck starting and if I can I'd b glad to help out with anything.

26. I'd be willing to give some assistance in coordination. I'm about 12 hours away in Oregon on the coast 7 miles from Calif. Retired, so have time available for assistance.

I could probably talk a contingent of locals here to head over there.

I drive past Denio Jct. Nv (funky cowboy/hunting bar)a couple of times each year heading east so I do know the short cuts. In a year I may even have a car to run.

27. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn that would be awesome.
    Eric

28. alleyoop

alleyoop

I think there are a lot of pepole that would be willing to go,you should send info to all the clubs and have them put it in there news letters,And be ready with info,on all counts.I would be there. alley

29. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

wow thats pretty bad ass!