Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Norman E. Timbs Custom Buick Streamliner

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Amazing 100%. thanks RIKSTER.

2. rexrogers

rexrogers

The current owner of the car did a lot of restoration work to the car before it came to out shop the wheel wells were repaired and the grill opening along with the drive train and a whole list of other projects that he completed.

A few pictures of the drive train an the independent rear

A couple of build pics from when the car was first built.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rexrogers

rexrogers

4. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did I miss this thread?

5. historynw

historynw

:cool: Wow, thats a beautiful car...all those curves. What is the paint color?

6. rexrogers

rexrogers

The paint was a real custom mix and a lot of test panels were shot to get the eventual correct original color for the car. The Belly pans are all on the car no and as soon as the snow melts it is time for some more test drives on the car.

7. pcterm2

pcterm2

i would call it pure craftmenship to the max

8. edweird

edweird

that automobile is beautiful!

9. rexrogers

rexrogers

10. grim

grim

The wooden buck for the body gives me the chills; what I wouldn't give to get a hold of that origional buck to keep as an art piece. Man, I love futurism; It looks like something out of a Fritz Lang flick. It's gorgeous - you have to obsess over coach building.

11. striper

striper

Just have to add a "Wow" from me....just so this can go back to the top

Pete

12. Thanks Rik 4 the update. Looks super at all angles- 3/4 rear is gorgeous. Resto looks good, gonna be good to see this one slither in.

13. Found this article in Motor Life February 1954
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rexrogers

rexrogers

A few great shots of the car from Peter Harholdt thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE “NORMAN TIMBS SPECIAL” EMERGES FROM COMPLETE AND EXACTING RESTORATION. (Headline)

Motor Trend cover car debuts at Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance. (Sub-Heading)
    Automotive engineer Norman Timbs designed and constructed the Timbs Special during the years of 1947 and 1948. The revolutionary streamlined automobile featured a mid-engine design that was ahead of its time. It was built around a custom aircraft tube frame and powered by a then new 1947 Buick “Super 8.” The Timbs Special utilized extensively modified 1947 Ford suspension components for a plush ride. Timbs designed an independent rear suspension using Packard and Ford driveline components.

Its sensual and sleek hand-formed aluminum body features a unique two piece construction that allows the tail section to open behind the cockpit. With the tail section up the gas tank, spare tire, engine and other mechanical components can be easily accessed. The hand built aluminum body shows a true designer’s eye for shape and form. In 1948 the 17 1/2’ long Timbs Special was so unique in its construction and design that it was featured in Motor Trend Oct 1949 as well as Popular Mechanics Dec 1949

Custom Cars Trend Book No. 101
    Mechanix Illustrated September 1949
    Motor Trend October 1949
    Popular Mechanics December 1949
    Motor Life February 1954
    Classic & Sports Car June 2002
    Hop Up Volume 9
    https://www.ameliaconcours.org/gallery/mystery.asp
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Norman_Timbs'_Buick_Special
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178451
    http://www.supercars.net/cars/4688.html
    www.realhotrods.com

Gary Cerveny of Malibu, California, is a noted collector of unique and one of a kind motor cars. Recognizing the significance of the car, he purchased it in 2002. His extensive research revealed numerous magazine articles, period photographs and firsthand knowledge of the car to insure an accurate restoration. Cerveny began the personal restoration with repair of body damage and rebuilding the drive train. Because the massive aluminum body with its complex curves required special skill, he engaged Custom Auto of Loveland, Colorado. The shop’s restorations have earned first place Pebble Beach honors and multiple Bruce Meyer Preservation Awards. Custom Auto’s combination of mechanical and restoration expertise have resulted in a fully functional motor car which honors Norman Timbs unique design.

Sunday, March 14 at the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance has been chosen for the Norman Timbs Special’s debut. As a featured car, the Concours’ website published two teaser photos of the car in process of restoration inviting viewers to identify it. Delighted officials report that a record number of hits were registered. It must be seen in person to be believed. Owners Gary and Diane Cerveny will drive the car on to The Field of Dreams accompanied by Custom Auto owner, Dave Crouse.

Photo credits: Peter Harholdt Studios, www.peterharholdt.com
    Further information from Dave Crouse at Custom Auto 970-669-6691 or [email protected] and his website is: www.realhotrods.com

Rex Rogers
    www.realhotrods.com
    Custom Auto
    1067 Des Moines Ave.
    Loveland, Colorado 80537
    (970) 669 - 6691

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

16. rexrogers

rexrogers

we did some fine tuning on the carbs today car is leaving soon.

17. $10,000 in 1949? That was a ton of dineros!
    Not a car I'm dying to own, but I do like it. It's got that "hard candy after you sucked on it for a while" look.
    It would be interesting to see what the restoration cost.

18. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Yep, perfect except ... maybe photo shop a carson top on there for shits an' giggles ?

19. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Beautifull, What a difference from the shots as found in the junkyard

20. This car is STUNNING!

21. rexrogers

rexrogers

Old Cars Weekly just did a great article on the car if any of you get that magazine.

Just a quick note on thanking the other guys in the shop involved with restoring this car

Dustin Nere Paint
    Fred Frank Paint and assembly
    Jake Yenny Fine tunning and frame work
    Roy kaufman Wiring
    Karl Eklund detail work sheet metal
    Curt Stecuert Detail work assembly
    Doug's upholstory Scotts bluff Nebraska

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  22. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Ye Gods! What a stunner!

23. rexrogers

rexrogers

The Timbs Special won the American open car class at Amelia island Concourse d'Elegance yesterday. Congratulations to the Cerveny's and everyone that was involved in the restoration.
    www.realhotrods.com

draggin49 likes this.
  24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Congratulation! By looking at the pictures of it I would say that it really deserved it!

25. makes me giddy like a little school girl. I think I might love that car.

26. PurHell

PurHell
    from So Cal

Gary told me he was at the Peterson auction a few years back, thew out low bid for the hell of it ... thinking the car was going to go for the really big bucks.. went back to his conversation and the guy he was talking to said .. think you just won Timbs... He's got the luck of a cat... Ha...

27. Love the color. It's great to see that piece of Americana restored.

28. Beautiful work!

29. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Damn...whoever block sanded that huge flowing surface to that level of perfection deserves respect beyond reproach.

30. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Beautiful...and an excellent rebuild. The color works so well on that flowing body..