Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Norm Grabowski: How the 'Kookie Kar" Be Came a T.V. Star !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Norm Grabowski's Legendary "Kookie Kar" !

Dear Fellow Holiday H.A.M.B. Friends...

NORM GRABOWSKI'S LEGENDARY T-BUCKET BECAME A Media Icon in 1958 when it was launched into TV-Land on the Warner Brothers hit show "77 SUNSET STRIP" !

Throughout the years, many have seen the car in magazines, photos, and, maybe even on YouTube. But when Norm Grabowski & I got together, I wanted to know how the connection with Warner Brothers happened...and catapulted BOTH Norm & the car to Worldwide Fame.

It was released in Danbury Mint's Legacy Motors catalog, and Norm & the KOOKIE KAR became a hot topic all over again. Listen as Norm tells how his T-Bucket became a TV Star ! PLUS: YOU'LL HEAR "KOOKIE" himself !!

Just click-on this link, listen, and, enjoy some cool info...especially is you're snowed in ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage12.html

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

If you missed this earlier...check-it out ! You'll probably be humming the "77 Sunset Strip" theme song for days !!

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I've gotten some GREAT eMails about this story over the last couple of days...my thanks to Joe, Phil, & JC ! Also, some cool "KK" clones out there to be seen as they mentioned.

But, the neatest thing is to hear Norm tell the story about his car that became a true Legend...and helped start a trend that continues to this very day.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage12.html

PS: If you've never met Norm be sure to seek him out at one of the shows he attends...he is the "Don Rickles" of the R&C Hobby !

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Just saw the car on display at Sacramento Vintage Ford when I was picking up some parts.

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

I've tried visiting your site before, it jammed up with all the add-ons and coding. Is it clean now?

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Sorry you had a problem. The site is clean. There are no adds on it and never were. Sometimes the problem is in your browser, modem, or, router. This happens to almost everybody on any site, at anytime...including me.

I had that same problem on another site last week...but the problem wasn't the fault of the site. I turned off my modem & router for a few minutes, rebooted my comp, went back to the site, and it worked like a champ !

ALSO, make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash installed on your comp. (It's FREE and you can download the latest version in just a few minutes.)

Comps are like cars...sometimes they need their "batteries recharged" and a cooling off period, and then they're back on the road again.

Hope this helps, my friend...and I also hope that 2011 is a SUPER one for you and yours,

Thanks again,

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  7. alwayzarat

alwayzarat

Very cool! Gotta love a good t-bucket! Especially one with history like this!!!

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not smart enough for your site. I'd love to see what you have but It's just too complicated for my miserable ass.

9. bobbyd08

bobbyd08
    from md

x2:(

Bobbyd

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it took a while but I finally found the Norm Interview..............all this hype for less than a 2 minute interview............................I want my time refunded please

verde742 likes this.
  11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

It's really pretty simple guys...'cause I don't like things complicated myself. There is a Tab on the Left Hand Side of the Front Page with a notation that says: "FIRST TIME VISITORS: IMPORTANT INFO". When you click-on that it explains how to navigate the Site.

After that, once you're back on the Front Page, you simply scroll down to the story you want to listen to, click-on either the man's name (Ex: Gene Winfield), OR. the notation which says "click-on here". All very simple...'cause both you guys are probably smarter than me...and I don't like problems either !

Like messin' with my car, I always subscribe to the "K.I.S.S." Theory for myself: "Keep It Simple Stupid". I just try to figure out how to make the darn thing work as simply as possible...so I don't have to tear it all up, unless I have to as a Last Resort. (Ex: My '57 Dodge wouldn't start. Knew I had plenty of gas, the fuel pump was new, the carb had been rebuilt, and the plugs were new. What the...? I finally traced it down to a loose end on the battery cable and tightened it. It cranked over instantly !Problem solved...simply !!)

SO, for Norm's story about the "Kookie Kar", you can actually go to this link:
    AND it will take you directly there... and that's all you have to do.

Many thanks for your comments, and I sincerely hope that the Info here will make it easier for you, and anyone else who wants to go there in the future, to navigate the Site. Like I said: "If I can do it, you can probably do it even better once you get the hang of it ! "

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  12. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Now that waz nice! Great job Jonnie.
    Pontiac Slim

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

THE 2016 UPDATE TO NORM'S "KOOKIE KAR" TV STAR...STORY:
    I've revised some of the info on this Page of Norm's Interview for you, and thought if you're new to the H.A.M.B., or missed it a few years back you might enjoy it. It's the "follow-up" to his "Early Years & Building The Kookie Kar".

Here's the Direct Link that will take you to it...it's short, cool, and, Norm at his BEST ! Great memories for all to hear and learn from this truly wonderful Legend:
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

A few year's back at the KKOA Lead Sled's in Salina, in different year's, BOTH Edd Byrnes & Connie Stevens made appearances. Both were under contract to Warner Bros. in their early-TV years...and they each got recording contracts with Warner's record label.

When I asked them about it, said they had fun working together on the song "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb", their 1959 hit record that reached #4 on the Billboard Charts, and sold over a million copies. So when I added it to Norm's Interview story I knew hearing it all-these-years-later would bring a smile to anyone who ever watched "77 Sunset Strip" ! Norm loved it when he heard it !!
    Thanks, once more to all of you who've shared your personal "Norm Grabowski" stories ! And, if you haven't added yours yet please do !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

When Norm Grabowski passed-away 4 years ago, he really left a hole in our Rod & Custom world. As I've said before, I always considered Norm like the "Don Rickles" of hot rodding ! Never a dull moment when you were with Norm !

SO, when Edd "Kookie" Byrnes & I talked at the KKOA Lead Sled that he made an appearance at, I asked him about working with Norm and that fabulous T-Bucket that gained his name. He said the same thing ! That when Norm was on the set, he was always keeping everybody laughing...and was a real pleasure to know and become friends with.

What many didn't know that weekend in Salina, it was Edd's birthday: July 30th. I told Jerry Titus and his crew ( I was the only one that knew it) and Jerry followed through with announcing it on the P.A. System and we gave him a surprise birthday cake. Edd was floored ! Loved it ! Shared the cake, and took back great memories with him when he went home.

Again, it all started with Norm...a real gentleman, and, one of the funniest friends that hot rodders have ever had. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage12.html
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

The37Kid likes this.
  16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

LATEST UPDATE ON NORM'S "KOOKIE KAR"...

By now most of you know that after decades of being hidden away in Jim Street's garage, Norm's "Kookie Kar" finally was brought out, sent to the Mecum Indianapolis, Indiana, 2018 Auction, and received a final bid of $440,000.00.

Of course, Jim had radically changed the car, and it looked nothing like it's original TV Version when it became a Warner Bros. hit on "77 Sunset Strip"...being piloted by Edd 'Kookie" Byrnes.

Accordingly, I've, once more revised & revamped this GREAT Interview that Norm & I did back on July 27, 2007, and if you are new to the H.A.M.B., or, just haven't heard it yet, you will love Norm's story on how it all happened...with the help of legendary customizer, Neil Emory !

Again, here's the Direct Link: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage12.html

ALSO, if you want to share any memories of Norm, or, if you were at the Auction and have a story...please add 'em for us !

Enjoy !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

17. Nobey

Nobey

Thank you Jonnie, thank you.....

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

In the late 80s, Norm was at the Oakland Roadster Show with the clone. He was selling and signing poster size copies of the shot at the drive in. My son was about a year old and norm seemed to enjoy making faces at him. He was funny and having a good time. He signed the poster to my son. In 95 he was on the Americacruze in Lincoln and he and several others signed my sons T shirt across the back. That is one of my treasured items. He enjoyed cutting up with kids of all ages

The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Cool story Jonnie, Thanks

robber likes this.
  20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Nobey, and , Hot Rod Nut...you're very welcome ! There are other Norm stories on the HOFL Site...and he's just so much fun to listen to on all of 'em !

The Neil Emory, Warner Bros., "77 Sunset Strip" story, like some of Norm's, are not very long...but they contain all of the Info needed to get to the point !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Bill...what a great story ! Yep. Norm was truly a "people person", "fan favorite", and those wonderful memories that you and your son have are what it's all about: The cars can be fantastic, but the people who build 'em, and those that go to the shows/cruises/events to see 'em, all have a "bonding experience" that is the core of what we all share.

Thanks again, Bill...

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I got to meet Norm at the NSRA Street Rod nationals years ago. What an enjoyable person he was. A very funny man, he had many stories to tell

23. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

OLDSMAN...

Norm loved ALL events ! Whether it was the Starbird's, KKOA, NSRA, NHRA, WCK, GNRS, Detroit, Sacramento, et al, he loved to be there and loved to have fun with everyone he met !

Thanks, OLDSMAN !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I sure loved his six-pack motorcycle. Lippy

25. atch

atch

I was fortunate enough to meet Norm at quite a few hot rod events. I never have liked beer so my drink of choice is Pepsi. Every time I saw Norm I offered him a Pepsi and every time he turned me down. I only wish I could remember his quotes when he said no. They were always priceless and so funny. Use your imagination and recollections of Norm to "hear" him.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Bill what a great story and thanks for reminding me that Norm was at the 95 Americruise in Lincoln, NE. I didn't run into him there unfortunately

27. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

OLDSMAN, Bill Nabors...

You both reminding me about that 95 Americruise in Lincoln, Nebraska, made me start looking through my back issues of R&C & Custom Rodder...'cause I think I have one of those issues that they featured the event, and had a pic of Norm in it. I'll Post the issue, date and number if I find it.

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

28. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Lippy...

Right you are ! Norm was one of the most creative guys you'd ever know. Made and carved those cool wooden shift knobs, made furniture, built the "Kookie II"...always trying to take things to the next level.

One time when I called Norm at home he was out of breath when he answered the phone. I said "Sorry, Norm ! Did you have to run to get to the phone ?" He said, "No Jonnie, I was just trying to keep in shape and was bouncing up and down on my trampolene !" Then he told me his knee's were hurting him, and I said "Norm ! Try staying off of the trampolene for a couple of days, take some Tylenol, rub some Icy Hot on your knees, rest a lot and keep your weight off your legs, and that might help." His answer: "Jon, that's a helluva idea ! Why didn't I think of that ?!" Then he broke-out in that infectuous laugh of his, and just cracked me up !

That was 100% Norm !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  29. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

Parked next to him many years ago at a nsra event when he had the HENWAY and he keep me entertained and there wasn't a lady that walked by that he didn't convince to stop and talk to us. He loved the ladies.

30. butch27

butch27

Norm was drinking a beer with us at Columbus when he had the Kookie 2 there.
    He kept checking out on of our friends young Daughter (A lot).
    I named him " Norm Grabasski) He laughed