Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noob with a 700R4 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KreaturesCCaustin, Sep 17, 2008.

1. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

First, let me say I tried a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I sort of adopted a '62 Chevy pickup with a blown 350. I replaced it with a bone stock 305 but kept the tranny that came in it, a 700R4. Long story short, it just slips in drive and OD. When I first put it into gear, I feel it kick like it wants to go, but if I give it gas it slips after just a few feet. If I start out in L or 2 it goes, but just slips when I try to put it into D. My top speed is about 25 because of it. Could this be caused by the TV cable not being adjusted correctly or do you think the innards are shot? The fluid smells burnt, too. Should I try to adjust the cable and do a flush, filter and fill or am I wasting my time? Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give. Oh, by the way, I've only driven a few miles with it like that, just trying to figure things out. Could that have fried it? I'm new to the OD transmissions, so I'm clueless.

2. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

id try and adjust the tv cable and change the fluid/filter to see if that helps. iv been using a 700r4 in my daily driver for the past 5 years and although i blew up my first one ( i was 17 and a friend dared me to do a burn out on ice) <~ dont do that and you should be fine lol.

3. borndead327

borndead327

sounds like a bad checkball in the valve body or broken seal

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sounds like the TV cable was run out of adjustment and it burned up the clutches..time for a rebuild.

you can burn up the clutches this way, really really fast..

5. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

See, now that's exactly what I DIDN'T wanna hear. Hahaha. Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll try the cheap route first and see if it helps. If not, I'm only out a few bucks. I know how my luck works, though. LOL

6. When a 700 R4 gets to that point, you need to replace clutches etc. no matter what else you find amiss.
    A good trans shop will be happy to take care of that for you.

I would recommend buying a rebuild kit from NAPA, a manual, and a how-to video off the internet-
    if you want to do it yourself.
    Before I bought a specialized tool for resizing a couple sealing rings, I used to take the shaft to a trans shop and pay $10 for them to do the input shaft seals.

If you have an early trans made before 87, you will also want to read up on what upgrades you need to make it more reliable. (pump upgrade, bigger servo, oil passages, etc) Most 1987 to 93 trannys had most of the common upgrades. NAPA sells a great GIL YOUNGER or TRANSGO shift reprogramming kit that solves all the early tranny valve body problems that used to contribute to early clutch failure.
    Often a trans shop will give you a simple rebuild without adding the upgrades if you have an early trans. Be careful what they give you for the money. Don't miss out on the upgrades.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Mine was just doing the same thing. Had my neighbor down (a Chevy dealer auto trans guy) he pulled the dip stick smelled the fluid, started it up put it in low, turned it off and said it is shot. He has it dismanteled at his house now, clutches frozen everything shot. He's doing it for $850 With a shift kit and a 5 planetary gear setup and I think he said a Corvette module. A shop in town quoted $1050

Gary