Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No start 56 fo. T bird 312 "

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, Sep 11, 2018.

1. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Problem with 56 Ford t bird......won't start ! Towed into shop has fuel . Spark ...cranks over good almost catches but............need some help from a Ford tech.........has us stumped. My cell number is .... 978 973 6422. Meengrinch

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If the spark is 'yellowish' (instead of 'blueish') you may have dirty, worn out, or closed-up contact points in distributor. Also check plugs.
    If you pull plugs, check compression. 312s have mechanical lifters, possible that valve clearances are too tight. ("How can valve clearances tighten up?")
    Carbon on seats, valve stems stretched a few thousandths. (mileage)
    Check all wire terminals from battery cables down to coil terminals.

Prior to doing this, grab the fan (engine NOT running, LOL) and turn it clockwise and counter clockwise. Possible timing chain stretch, and cam sprocket teeth worn/shattered. (they're plastic, unless 'updated' with steel sprocket!)

3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clean and gap points and plugs, check/replace condenser. How old is fuel?

4. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Between valves too tight, points not opening enough/too much, funky gas, we need more info.
    Didja rebuild it? Didja remember 9pins, not dot to dot.

5. 54vicky

54vicky

sure sounds like points have had it. as stated replace.if not an old school mechanic he will not have a points file which was used in the day to extend life awhile.let us know how you make out.one other thing you do not need to make multiple posts

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  6. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Good call czuch, I'll bet not too many remember/know of the 9 pin deal on the chain.

7. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Thank all for your replies.......all new parts ..".will chect chain stretch.........keep thinking have run out......my memory keeps telling me of a rare timing order only on 56 312.......appreciative of your help.

8. 54vicky

54vicky

there is no rare order on 312 lay off the meds I did not see about you rebuilding motor so the comments about timing chain marks etc. should have no bearing on your problem you need to supply more info.if more to story than my advice may not apply.if you towed to a modern shop with no old timer there.they are probably looking for ECU or other modern shyt

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    bobss396 likes this.