Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No brake pedal - 50 Merc - front disc conversion -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Bennett, Oct 11, 2017.

1. New master cylinder and flexible brake lines. I had brake problems which were from leaky front wheel cylinders. New POL front disc conversion which went swimmingly.. Until I pressed brake pedal. They are closed now and I'd like to sleep with some answers.

I've bled brake lines many numerous time by vacuum and by assistant. I'll guarantee there's no bubbles. But there's no brakes either...spongy pedal just won't pump up except a tiny bit after 10 pumps. Pedal returns on it's own.

Supposedly the front disc conversion is solid on the 50 Merc using original master cylinder but some say residual valves needed, some say bigger master is a requirement. Anyone else go through this situation and know the answer???

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

Since the master is under the floor, yes, residual pressure valves. Wilwood makes good ones - I used cheap ones and they leaked like crazy. Learned my lesson.

3. Yes- I got one of the POL kits when they first appeared, and spoke with the owner, who made it for his personal Merc. What you've got going on now is a combo/ if not some things a lil off....
    You now have a disc/drum set up. Not a drum/drum set up. Yes- you will have to change the master, which I got when I bought my kit. Also- you will need a prop valve with the combo. POL has everything for this swap. Like you mentioned= easy breezy on the disc install. Just mount the valve with the supplied lines if you go that route, and you'll be fine. Q's? shoot me a PM. Go to sleep........it's not building an atomic bomb, unless your that smart!;)

Attached Files:

4. Don't be too confident that there is no air in there. Sometimes everything you do will still leave a little bubble of air that just refuses to come out.