Register now to get rid of these ads!

History nitro through carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 6x2-D/FD, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 6x2-D/FD

6x2-D/FD

Prolly a stupid question but. How did the old school guys run nitro through carbs? don't see or hear of it no more.

2. broke hotrodder

broke hotrodder
    from NY

You could do it but nitro needs volume. Most people quickly realized that injection was the soloution. Nitro will destroy the internals on a carb if you dont get rid of every drop. 24 hours is enough to eat through every rubber or plastic element.

3. This from your profile intrigues me. Tell us more, especially about the 550 h.p.

4. Another good one here,,ehTony?

HiHelix and falcongeorge like this.

5. rooman

rooman

Nitro won't eat up carb internals but the alcohol that is mixed with it will corrode aluminum and pot metal pieces, partly due to its hygroscopic nature--it attracts water. Nitro does have an effect on some rubber compounds, causing them to swell up but it does not attack common plastics--that it why most racers haul it in plastic fuel jugs.

Roo

ottoman likes this.
  6. 6x2-D/FD

6x2-D/FD

not 550 with this setup after we change a few things it will be I was asking this because I was planning on putting the manifold off he 327 on my brother fed it just a show fed and we wanted make a crackle fest out of it when the 327 is redone it will have 550 we estimate (it will be running c12) race demon mechanical sec. now I'm no Bill Jenkins and don't clam to be one I do know I've learned through trial and error, and by people like you who try and be douche bags I came here asking a simple question about days gone by guess I go to another forum and talk with people who actually want to help people learn instead of bashing them for making a mistake.

7. 6x2-D/FD

6x2-D/FD

thank brother you where the only helpful comment.

8. How many threads are you going to start and ask this?

henryj1951 and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. Don't think anyone was bashing you.You should think about an apology,no need for this here.

10. Gotta love that millennial attitude. :D
    So vibrant, so entitled, so tolerant,

11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

6x2-D/FD -

What did you say..?
    This some kinda new Eengluish or sumpen ?

Mike

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

And you ain't no Daniel Webster, either ... always time to learn from us, though. We speak good.

13. Bigger needle valves and huge jets. Think alchy carb on steroids.

Funny story I got a set of my Ol' Man's jet drills/reams, one of them looked a lot older and bigger than the rest when he was teaching me to use them before he checked out and he laughed and said that is for POP only.

Countn'Carbs, mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  14. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Snowflake bake!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. christmas tree

christmas tree

In the old days I ran a lot of alky and recently E85 then some alky . .Have drove a nitro flat head but the nitro, carbs and jetting was left to a couple of old friends. May they rest in peace as I still think of them often. All I can say about nitro is it is ONE HELLVA BOOT IN THE ASS.

16. Its like heroin, after the first shot you can never ever get enough and nothing else will give you the same rush. :D

mad mikey and Texas Webb like this.
  17. RmK57

RmK57

If you ran an engine with carburetors on 80-90% nitro would you able able to shut it off ?
    I always thought just cutting the ignition wouldn't stop the engine from running, you had to
    stop the fuel flow or it would just diesel away......

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thought I heard some of the older guys say you just take the jets out and work down from there.

Dago 88, Larry T and belair like this.
  19. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Air Fuel Ratios:
    Gas 15 to 1
    Alky 7 to 1
    Nitro 3 to 1
    It takes really big jets !!!

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

The early nitro users ran 8 97s to get enough fuel to the engine so you are looking at at least 2 alky 4 bbls.

21. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

soo much volume of fuel needs to run that you shut off the fuel to dry out the system so there is none left that could drain back into the cylinders, Nitro will go off just by heat in the cyl and compression without a spark input.
    That-Upper-Pipe.jpg

Countn'Carbs, mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  22. RRichFox

RRichFox

As I remember hearing, serious racers threw away the jets and drilled holes in the upright tubes to allow more fuel. If you just want to run 10% to make it cackle a little maybe you should just try it with out jets. You will need really large needle and seat and lots of fuel pump and pressure regulator flow. Not normal Pep Boys stuff.

23. I would ask Don Garlits. He ran huge doses of nitro through 8 carbs, and did it pretty damn well.

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

by using a hand pump to presurise the tank so much that it sunk the floats

mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just to ask a question....How much different's would just 10 % nitro make?

26. christmas tree

christmas tree

Emery Cook is the one that taught that Garlits on how to modify the strombergs for big doses of nitro. Cooks partner Cliff Bedwell told Emery to quit teaching that kid too much as he will be beating us. Sure enough it happened.

27. RRichFox

RRichFox

I always ran blacky carbon. But fuel guys tell me that 10% will "Wake it up a little" Whatever that means. Personally I would not run Pop through a carburetor. Still all this guy wants to do is make it sound and smell like a fuel burner. You should be able to do that at idle. As long as you can get fuel to flow through the mains at that speed.

mad mikey and saltflats like this.
  28. christmas tree

christmas tree

This is a interesting discussion but has anyone checked on the price of nitro lately?

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Got to pay if you want to play.

mad mikey likes this.
  30. 5 gallons is over $300. I tried 15% in my V8-60 midget, couldn't tell the difference.