Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear this :(

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. Thank you for your kind words. He will be missed.

More graffiti related adventures to follow....
    American%20Graffiti%20Lobby%20Card%20-%204%20of%208.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Can't begin to believe this was a year ago. So much has changed since then. Here's a few shots from Dr. Rachel's Upholstery. They are magicians.

Vintage vinyl, chrome, and outstanding craftsmanship!

It has been cold and rainy here. Not much time for cruising. More Man A Fre details to follow soon.

Thank you! IMG955491.jpeg IMG_20200121_154211.jpeg IMG_20200117_151827.jpeg IMG_20200203_125222.jpeg IMG_5501.jpeg IMG_5538.jpeg IMG_20200203_125215.jpeg IMG_20200204_161456.jpeg

4. Today it was cloudy but 70°. I decided to go for my first drive without adult supervision. Apparently this set up is pretty easy to flood.

I tuned the key on. Then I turned on the fuel pump with the dash switch to fill up the bowls. Finally I gave the pedal two good pumps, let off the throttle, and tried to start the car. I got the starter for about 10 seconds each intermittently. No dice. I then proceeded to make matters much worse by pumping the throttle more and trying to start the car intermittently for 30 minutes.

I gave up and called Tim Bowman.

He said:

Here's the correct Man A Fre procedure as they are very very quick to start and thus quick to flood.

1. Turn key on and hit the dash fuel pump switch for about 5 to 10 seconds.

2. Push throttle in only a little bit and hold it there.

3. Start car and enjoy.

He said the under dash fuel pump switch really isn't necessary. If the car hasn't set for a long time then fuel is still present in the bowls. Hitting the starter will turn on the fuel pump anyway.

I'm learning so much. Each experience with this car is a new puzzle to solve. Thank God that Tim has the answer key! PXL_20201120_233256873.jpeg PXL_20201120_233306934.jpeg

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

tomorrows another day nick

rbrewer, loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. We'll learn something today, recharge the battery, and try again tomorrow. Thank you!

rbrewer, loudbang, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  7. Anyone else flood their engine? Now I know what to do in the future instead of just repeatedly cranking it and wishing it would start. I'll pull and clean up the spark plugs tomorrow morning. Then I'll give it another go. Is there anything else I should do?

I'm always worrying these days that I've "hurt" the car. I really think this fear will improve with more miles.

It is pretty scary to look back with how far we have climbed. With that said, I refuse to let fear of failure stop me from learning and enjoying the fruits of our hard work.

chryslerfan55, rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  8. No disrespect Nick but I'm wondering if you shouldn't let that Man A Fre setup and maybe the whole car go down the road to someone else. I think you'd be much better off and a lot happier in a ride that has efi and a slush box. Honestly.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

BOOOOOooooo!

10. I definitely see your point. I'm no where near a decent car guy. I just refuse to quit.

I've dreamed about owning this car and traveling back to "1962" since I was 12 years old. I have always wanted this car, exactly as it was in the movie, Man A Fre and all its faults. I never realized how steep my learning curve was set.

I have been discouraged often but have never quit.

Without this car I would have never learned so much. I've met so many great people. So many friends have helped me too. I'm just not quite finished yet.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll pass on the EFI and the automatic. I do understand why guys take easier builds. That's just not who I am.

11. Budget36

Budget36

Stay true Nich, if it were easy, I’d even do it;)

12. None of us were born knowing any of what we know, some of us started the learning curve at a younger age is all.

Stay the course Nick, I commend your dedication to learning.

The car looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Thanks everyone. I don't think "30Tudor" meant anything negative. I can definitely see that point of view.

I've always been someone who chose the difficult path. I wouldn't bet against me.

I just needed a little reminder to be more thankful. I wouldn't be near where I am today without the HAMB and my friends.

14. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

15. chryslerfan55, loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  16. Hang tough Nicholas!!, your almost there, I'm patiently waiting for the next update!!

17. Not required... But you may want to do an oil change.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  18. Nick, having a modified car is a lot like a relationship. It takes a while to get to know what the car likes to start it, drive it, etc. Once you learn the characteristics of your car (or significant other), that’s when things get fun and cool. Keep at it and don’t give up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Its nice to see a younger person not opt out for the easy way ! Have any of is flooded the engine trying to start it ? Only a bazillion times !!!LOL

20. Thanks again everyone! Someday I'll know half as much as y'all.

I checked the oil. Good except for the smell of Marvel Mystery Oil that I added last oil change. Since that was a couple months ago the oil is still very clean and hard to see on the chrome dip stick.

Plugs look really good. Small amount of gas present. I dried them off with a paper towel and will let them sit out for a few hours. Nice and white color around the center electrodes.

I unplugged the coil wire and bumped the engine over a couple times. The electrical popping sound scared me. No gas shot out. Another good sign.

I think I have been pumping the throttle and then trying to crank it with the butterflies closed. This afternoon I will just barely push in the throttle and hold it to start the car. I bet it will fire right up!

1st shot is of our vintage spark plugs today after our carburators were rebuilt and my little gasoline adventure.

2nd shot was a new set of plugs just after rebuilding the top end of the motor and braking in the cam and lifters.

What a difference! We are getting better!
    PXL_20201121_152358176.jpeg IMG_20200815_201456.jpeg

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't worry about it Nick true hot rods don't make good grocery getters. In most cases period correct hot rods loose some driveability. Just remember you have 4 accelerator pumps not just one or two.

Nicholas Coe and loudbang like this.
  22. Absolutely. I learned that one the hard way! It always started with the previous method. I guess everything changed when the Man A Fre system was set up correctly.

Thanks again to Tim Bowman who not only set the carburators and linkage up correctly but has always been there when we call. Without y'all, I would have never understood his explanations.

The HAMB family set me up for success. IMG_20200917_135406.jpeg IMG_20200917_104728.jpeg

chryslerfan55, loudbang and rbrewer like this.
  23. This evening I reinstalled the spark plugs and tried to start the car....no luck. I would just crank.

I've occasionally noticed a small puff of smoke coming from the ignition switch. Just a very light, tiny bit. Also my amperage gauge is not moving.
    The car was difficult to start before which was attributed to flooding.

I called Tim Bowman.

He asked me to pull a spark and hold it away from the engine and hit the starter button. I did. No visible spark but I felt a small shock from the plug wire hand to my other pushing the button.

He said that I probably had a ground issue.

He had me crawl behind my original 32 seat and unhook the red battery cable. I struggled with it due to the small space. My wonderful and patient wife held up the top of the seat until I finished removing the cable and wrapping it in a clean rag as instructed.

Hopefully on Monday my long suffering friend Rob will stop by with a multimeter.

I was quite frustrated but now I'm really thankful to prevent an issue that could have resulted in tragedy. PXL_20201122_010416405.jpeg PXL_20201122_010424897.jpeg PXL_20201122_010257064.jpeg PXL_20201122_011926415.jpeg

chryslerfan55, rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  24. Anyone seen this before? Earlier this year we were experiencing a few electrical issues with my ignition system. One of my friends removed this from the fuse box. He stated that it was not necessary when I used my new Pertronix Flamethrower coil and Pertronix Distributor.

Could this cause an issue with my ignition or wiring systems? I'll pull the fuse box cover tomorrow morning and get a few pics.

Here are the photos of the resistor currently and the car during the build process... PXL_20201122_011511997.jpeg PXL_20201122_011518280.jpeg NCM_0180.jpeg NCM_0182.jpeg

rbrewer and loudbang like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't know you were running the pertronix again. I thought you switched back to points? I would suspect a problem with the pertronix system

26. My thoughts exactly,,,,,,,,it makes me think it was not a flooded engine as bad as it was an ignition system failure .
    Then,,,you just assume a flooding issue,,,,,because it probably really was flooded after trying to crank with a bad ignition.
    Since the whole idea is to pay homage to the American Graffiti car,,,,,,I’m pretty sure they used points back then in 1962 .
    Points work great and last a very long time !
    Get rid of the Pertronix crap,,,just my opinion.
    There are several guys on here that could set you up a points distributor and it will run just like brand new .
    And it will be period correct as well .

Tommy

27. Yes. I'm sure you are correct.

28. That is where we are leaning....

Is there someone in particular who could set me up with a completely restored period coil and distributor?

With all my other vintage parts that may be the way to go!

29. This was seen today. Here's the fuse box at build time and currently. NCM_0180.jpeg PXL_20201122_133705595.jpeg

30. How about a dual-point distributor? Would that be 1962 top of the line? Could I get a restored Delco one to look like this? 1974.jpeg 1981.jpeg 1979%20engine.jpeg