Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nice weekend to chop a 34 5 window coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Nov 14, 2009.

1. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Looking good...Its nice to see what 5 1/2 chop looks like for a reference for when mine gets hacked on...You are the Man.

2. I think it looks better with the hinge. It's awesome that it's a 5 1/2" chop also, instead of a 2" or 3". This is how I want my 5 window. If you're gonna be a bear, be a fucking grizzly bear.

3. sloorider

sloorider

just thought it makes the window area...a little busy....:)

4. 32ford5.....I would not take that job on if I were you and haven't done this kind of work for a while. A cherry 32 5w body is no place to learn. My first few chops left alot to be desired and I'm still learning. Maybe you can find someone you can pay who knows what they are doing and will let you work beside them. You will have fun and learn alot. Jumping in by yourself can be very humbling and frustrating. I am all for doing it yourself but I wouldn't start on that car without help. I bet you could find someone who would love to help. Just follow the Rolling Bones chop articles in Street Rodder, that came out bitchen!

5. 1958...Here is a different take on laying the posts back. Most I see are just cut, layed back and welded up but Sam Barris went further here by extending the base of the post forward on the cowl almost to the hood. Pretty swoopy. I have never seen one like that, it would be easy to identify this car today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    kidcampbell71 and 29EHV8 like this.
  6. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I hear what you're saying and I like the idea of working next to someone who knows what they are doing but there is no one I know who can do it down here (yet). If I end up doing it alone I'll take great care, probably start a progress thread. I'm never totally alone though. I can always ask on here.

I was pouring over that Rolling bones article for hours the other night. Every picture I see adds more answers and raises more questions. I'm in no real hurry though. As long as I'm having a good time following threads like this...I'm having a good time. Getting it done right is better than getting it down fast but eventually something has to be done.

7. bluecar

bluecar

Kiwi Kev,

WOW !!!

You make it look so easy.

Thanks for posting the progress pictures and the article.

Best,
    BC in KC

8. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

WOW. I just noticed this thread. Really nice work Kev. Id be a bit aprehensive when chopping a friends 32-33-34! Great job.

9. ryno

ryno

pick # 3 of sam using an air chisel?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. sololobo

sololobo

Man what a cool ass thread, the thing that messes with my mind is "the weather", I lived right up the coast from Kev for 11 years and miss it every day, especially winter days. I love the Barris chop with a hacksaw and the state of the art air chisel. Thanx for sharing Kev!! ~Sololobo~

11. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

I just learned more in the past 20 minutes than I have in the last 20 years! Thanks for posting this.

Now, We need more pics!

12. Anderson

Anderson

Great tech on this chop, a lot of ideas I wouldn't have thought of. Keep it up, I've subscribed and can't wait to see the final product.

13. Pete

Pete

Very sexy Kev, just like you!

Pete-

14. grandet23

grandet23

I was at first asking myself why 5 1/2" , but then I answered myself by saying WHY NOT! The car looks amazing. Truthfully, it's more radical than I prefer but you are really making it look great. When will you guys be posting more photos? Several people in the office have been asking if you have posted any more photos. Being in the collision industry I know how hard it is to keep everything square, doors opening right, gaps all in tune and in the end seeing a well proportioned car. Thanks for taking the time to show us step by step how this whole process is accomplished.

15. Thank's Pete;)

Not working on it Saturday. More pics Sunday night.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thread was a revelation for me, I know know why I am so talentless with this sort of work, Kev has my share of the talent!

17. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Hi Kev, great work, you got the KIWI 'can do attitude'
    From memory ,over here the Ford 100E roof was the perfect roof panel to use if ya wanted to fill the roof.
    I remember picking one up in Dunedin for Rick Murray to use in a 34.

Cheers Steve

18. Dirty2

Dirty2

Very very nice !

19. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey KEV...man that's as madass as it get's, NOW order the strongest wheelie bars you can find. O believe me your going to need them.well onless you enjoy blow overs! HA! somebody on your team is a true hotroder, in the very best sence. WOW can't wait for the finish, hang on nelly. call mr POP...or the old FART!

20. lorodz

lorodz

great thread 1st time i have seena 34 chopped and in detail with a step bye step keep it up

21. X2

Subscribed!

22. Les Moran

Les Moran
    from australia

32ford5 You need to track down Peter Nash , stock up the fridge with cold beer and get him around to help ya, he is in Adelaide somewhere .

Les

23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Its about time he chopped that damn thing. I'm glad to see its getting the hair cut it so rightly deserved. I can't wait to see how it looks cruising around the hood.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  24. 63Compact

63Compact

Keep it going Kev looks great. I liked the way Sam did those A Pilliars he was the man.

25. Another beautiful sunny days worth of progress to report. Got the passenger door corner tacked together, the drivers side front corner patch tacked in place, the drivers door top cut,reshaped and and tacked in place, the quarter window gaps filled, the rear roof corners cut out and moved so the body reveal lines up and a patch made to repair the old brazed area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what we did to line up the rear roof corner.

I cut it out on the line and moved it forward until they lined up. I could have made the cuts alot closer to the body reveal but since most of this will be gas welded I wanted the weld to be easily accessable for a dolly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next it is sanded and trimmed until it fits back in the hole in it's new location.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a patch is made for the new hole and tacked in place.

[​IMG]

alfin32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Here is the pass' door corner tacked together. Most of this will be gas welded.

[​IMG]

Here is a look at the inside of the door. Still need to fill that hole.

[​IMG]

Added a vertical cut so I could tap down a high area on each post. Second pic shows the patch to replace the old repair and a small one to replace a rust hole in the post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Please don't think this is the only way or the correct way to chop one of these. I'm just showing the way I am going about it and I'm fully aware that there are real craftsmen checking this out and shaking their heads at some of my big gaps etc. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that there are other ways to do a job like this. Real talented fabricators take the time to fit everything perfectly and tig weld it and metal finish it. I guess I am comfortable to be a level or 2 below that as on previous chops I have always tacked with mig and gas welded (hammer weld ) to finish. Like I said earlier a Minimal amount of filler is OK by me if done properly.

28. I would be thrilled if my 33's chop turned out that well. Not everyone knows how to metalfinish, but the biggy is tha they can correctly cut, weld and fill as needed with a minimal ammount. Good work Kev, I'll be re-reading this many times as I get ready to do mine.

29. Well Kev, It looks like your getting that critical front of the door window radius looking like it should. Don't be so humble my friend. You have skills. I like this thread alot.

30. Clutched

Clutched

Killing it Kevin! looks Awesome!