Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

A bit of 'tech-banter,' just in case there's any interest

The huge engine-performance feature ('trick,' if you will) that the early 'killer' Junior Stock cars had was the use of the 'Dykes (top) ring. It was almost-always used in league with ForgedTrue Pistons.

[​IMG]

The idea is that the combustion gasses get behind the top portion of the 'L-shaped' ring and serve to push it outward toward the cylinder wall. This greatly reduces the need for high-rate static ring tension which is normally needed to facilitate proper combustion sealing. Result ... profoundly reduced piston-to-wall friction -- Genius!

Contrary to popular thinking, the concept was not new when the first way-under-the-record Jr Stockers hit the scene around 1964 and shocked the drag-racing fraternity. The design was invented 20 odd years earlier by Dr Paul Dykes of Cambridge University. It was subsequently used in race-car engines during the 1950s in applications such as the Meyer Drake Offenhauser (Indy-car) engine.

Next to come to favor with Jr Stock engine builders was the mounted-'high'-on-the-piston-head 'skinny' (.043) top ring which (usually) necessitated the process of 'Plate Honing' the cylinders to achieve 'perfect roundness for precise sealing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

It may be a stretch but here's a shot of The No. 1 Team 57. Any tie in to the No. 1 Car 69?

[​IMG]

3. Maliburacr

Maliburacr
    from Ohio

Hope I'm on the right thread , but wasn't someone looking for pics of this car.

[​IMG]
    Tom Kasch photo

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

As a 'kinda PS' to my post #666 Let me throw a few things 'on the table' for you guys to 'chew on.'

*What was the REAL reason most guys 'had' to use high-volume oil pumps?

*What (worth at least a tenth!) 'legal' front-end alignment 'trick' did suspension- wiz Jack Arnew do to lucky NED racer's Jr Stock (and SS) cars?

*What *'risky-wrist-pin' (*but worth the risk) 'shenanigans' were carried out by (among others) Truppi-Kling?

*And Explain ...
    The (arguably) second-most 'productive' Jr Stock 'trick' of all ... the concept of 'rate-of-lift' cams.

AREWEHAVINFUNYET?;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. Maliburacr

Maliburacr
    from Ohio

Cut or modified control arms

Lite piston pins

Cheater Cams - or square lobe cams

6. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I'm pretty sure someone in the Jesel family owned the Yoo-Hoo company at the time.
    Verne:)

7. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

This car ia atill around and looks exactly like it does in this picture. Saw it at E'town at the Funny Car Reunion this summer.

8. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

9. Hyfire

Hyfire

Anyone know any history about this car? (Besides the fact it was in CarCraft)

It ran back east during the late 60s to 73.

Thanks,
    Hyfire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. John Mackey

John Mackey

Does anyone know if Dom stills own it????
    He also had a 2 dr painted the same, I wonder what happened to that?

11. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

"Cut or modified control arms"
    Yes! *to allow toe-in and camber to remain 'static' as the front end lifted and then 'sank' in the traps. Caster was (typically) increased 2-3 degrees for better 'straight-line' tracking

"Lite piston pins"
    Yes! *but lightened by 'taper boring' to retain 'some' strength ... when they broke (and they did) ... it was 'notta pretty picture'!

"Cheater Cams - or square lobe cams"
    'Square'? Well, Yes ... 'sorta,' but 'legal' because they met 'standard' duration and lift specs -- the 'rate' the total lift was achieved was just much faster.

'usedonegood' ;) "Malibu"

12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Can anybody identify the owner of this one?

13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bill,
    Here's a picture of Waibel and Ed McGlawhorn's '55 taken at Myrtle Beach, SC, on July, 3, 1966. And don't forget Bobby Warren when you talk about small block Chevy experts. Ed McGlawhorn photo.
    [​IMG]

14. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

That would have been Charlie Taylor, Jeff's older brother. Jeff would have still been a kid in the early 70s.

15. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bill,
    Thanks for IDing the T-Bird.
    Bob

16. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

That looks like one of Dave Strickler's, Ammon R. Smith 'Old Reliable' cars in the background (@ Cecil County?). He was 'always' @ York going toe-to-toe with Bud 'The Honker' Faubel, 'Dyno Don' if he was 'in town,' or often the popular D.C.-based big Chev of Malcolm Durham.

Some of the Ammon R Smith clan can usually still be found @ most Carlisle and Hershey events hawking all manner of Old Reliable memorabilia to eager buyers. License plate frames, repro photoghaphs, cardboad Ammon R. Smith front bumper 'tags,' match books, golf tees, tissue dispensers, key chains, etc., etc., etc.

Walking by the Smith clan's vendor spots one day at a Fall Carlisle show, a 'few' years back, I remember thinking that it somehow seemed really tacky, a bit macabre and somewhat mercenary. But so it goes!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  17. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

I was going to mention it earlier, but there was a guy in NJ named George Weiler who ran a very winning '57. That might be him.
    Verne

18. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

That is Dave's old SS/F '68 Camaro that was located and restored by Z/28 guru Jerry McNeish and raced in Stock. The car was authenticated by Jenkins and Dave's family. Jerry has retired the car and built another Z/28 for Stock eliminator.
    Bob Rice

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bud Rowe's '69 Nova at Kinston, NC, 1970. Bud told me that he bought this car off of the showroom floor at Richmond, VA, and bolted on a set of headers, traction bars, changed cams and went racing. Sorry about the quality of the picture but all I had at the time was an old instamatic camera.
    [​IMG]

20. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

Here is a shot taken on the way to Minnesota Dragways I took back in the days
    [​IMG]

21. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

22. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great image 'Colesy,' it might be in black 'n white, but I really Luv this shot of Archie doin battle!

By the way ... he was 'chilling' on this run -- low-mid 13s were 'no problem' for him with this combo!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  23. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bobby Warren's World Championship Nova at Kinston, NC, 1970.
    [​IMG]

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Terrific shot 'Cuda,' reminds me of ...
    [​IMG]

25. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stockers rule..............Everyone that grew up on the dragstrip ran thru the pits looking for the record holders or track class winners.................

26. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Raced with Gary and Charlene Wood for years,Our hometrack was South Glens Falls in NY.
    Gary was pretty much a Pontiac guy.Do remember him buying and racing a new LS-6 Chevelle for awhile.
    He ran a bunch of Firebirds that were always quick and was the one to beat at SGF.Saw the wagon
    in a local junkyard in probably late 70's-early 80s.Last time I saw Gary he was buying and selling old guitars.

Charlene won stock eliminator at the Grandnationals at Sanair.Got a good pic of the wagon
    lifting the left front and bunch of other stockers that I will post soon as I can figure out how to get decent
    size pics up.

27. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Jerry Stealy. George Cureton photo.
    [​IMG]

28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

This cover shot makes me ill.6-7 years ago I was tipped off that the John Barkley A-1 car was for sale.
    Got hold of the owner in Kansas,I think.Price was 10K.Told him OK,I had an apartment house that I just put on the market and to give me some
    time with the money.He said he would because he had not much response
    to the ad at all.I kept in touch for a few weeks.

The house did not sell right away.He told me he wanted to keep it the way it raced but his buddy was pressuring him to sell to him
    and he was going to make a street machine out of it.
    Amazingly no one wanted to buy the car,I was the
    most interested party but he finally gave in and sold it
    to his friend so its probably on the streets of Kansas right now.
    The house sold months later but too late to get the Ripes car.
    Pisses me off every time I think about it.

29. 61 chevy

61 chevy

i bet crager mags sold a lot of wheels back then, not two many fords , i wonder why:cool: