Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Ford rep. and Jim Downing of Downing & Ryan racing team.

[​IMG]

Pete

3. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

It's the only one I knew of. 1967 Catalina 2 + 2, the "Tomahawker". I bought it new as a 4 speed, 376 HP when I worked for GM at the Linden assembly plant. No P/S or P/B. Watched it go down the assembly line. Dan Jesel convinced me to put the auto in and change the cam. Pic would be in 1968 at Island.
    BTW, the passenger is NOT Dom. He was my partner for a year and also the starter at Englishtown before sinking into a life of disrepute with another car line.

4. colesy

colesy

Here are the NHRA Stock National Records from June of 1968.

Attached Files:

5. colesy

colesy

Hey John;
    Any idea of what became of the car? Did you sell it when you got the Chevelle? Sure would be a great one of a kind car for a Pontiac collector!!

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

And just when ya thought they were slowing down,BAM!!!!

sweet!

7. colesy

colesy

Time for another Colesy's Quality Used Cars post. Lots of GREAT DEALS this month. All guaranteed low mileage Junior Stockers at unbelievable prices! We're turning back the clocks at Colesy's.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  8. colesy

colesy

And here's a few to make those Oldsmobile guys drool........

Attached Files:

9. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hey Verne, Thats the first ive heard that... i'll have to ask the old man about it....

10. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Here's Pop at the Maple Grove Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony.... He's with Lex Dudas, Dave McClelland (the voice of nhra) and Top Fuel Racer Joe Amato.....along w/ Stauffer Family Members and Mike Lewis

Attached Files:

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Can't remember if I have posted these or not. If I have, please excuse.

Attached Files:

12. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

What a thrill it was to see the story "when stock was hot" earlier this year in Hot Rod.

13. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Colesy, Thanks for the Olds "for sale"ads. Today you would be hard pressed to get a GOOD carb. done for what those cars were selling for! I here through the grapevines that the Brainbeau '66 or '67 has re-surfaced; be neat to see it restored in race trim. Also, a friend on the thread knows where one of the Berejik cars (W31?) is; I hope he reads this or sees the lists of National Records for 1968 that were posted. Listen to this--- As many of you are aware of, I own the 1969 W31 that was raced as a NEW car in F/S by Anderson Olds in Balto., MD. I have every piece of original paperwork and in Feb. 1971 the car was sold WITH a WARRANTY by the dealership in as-raced condition (without lettering) for $2995.00 What a deal!!!

14. colesy

colesy

I'll take two at that price and as for the warranty, Forget about it!! Where do I sign? Glad you liked the classifieds. I have some good photos of the 67 Brainbeau car from a 101 Custom & Rod Ideas magazine that I'll post now that there's some Oldsmobile guys here. Stay tuned........

15. colesy

colesy

Hard to beat those Bob Rice color photos. Thanks Bob. Not sure if they have been posted before, but even if they have, feel free to post them every time you see fit. Speaking for myself, my short term memory is pretty much shot anyway and color shots make my day.

16. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bill, here's a couple of shots of Garley Daniels' '57 210 sedan taken at Kinston, NC in 1966 with one of those fancy tube grills you mentioned a few pages back. That's Garley standing by the car in the 2nd pic.

Attached Files:

17. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Cool pic from E'town. you can still buy your dogs & burgers from the same consession stand in the back ground to this day. Great track.

18. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

page 184
    You got that right Pete!
    Also along side the 57 Olds 2 pics down.
    That's at Island Dragway.
    Louie LAW

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009

19. John,
    Come on John, I wouldn't call it disrepute! I think he could have done worse with something other than a Plymouth wagon. At least he always had a place to sleep when we were on the road { Hotel Belvedere} .

Dom

20. novadude

novadude

Wow! That is a CLEAN Chevy II!!! I love it! :)

21. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

Mark,
    This is Lou Cuviello, the 57 Delivery was mine and that's the one I drove.
    I came across this post that you said my 64 Chevy II was "Technically not legal".
    First the car had to be a certain weight, LB per HP to be in a particular Class. (You should know that)
    My car was at the bottom SS/M as a sedan.
    All the correct panels and glass were changed to make it a "LEGAL" 2dr ht SS/N car.
    The doors w/glass, roof, inner rear quarter panels w/window regulators and glass, and the windshield. All the other sheet medal and body parts were the same for both.
    The car weight as a 2dr sedan was 2683lb and the 2dr ht was 2703lb. (20lb difference)
    As a 225hp @ 12lb per hp the car had to weigh 2700lb.
    You said "that'll make a pretty light Duece" ( NOT TRUE the car had to be HEAVIER !)
    The ONLY thing that was not changed was the body style/vin tag!
    Not long after I made the body style change, NHRA allowed you to add or remove weight to "fit" your class. (I could have saved a lot of work)
    If you recall when Tom Callahan rolled their challenger convertible, a Factory supported team Chrysler could not find another convertible, Frank Sulc told them to send him a coupe and to get off the assembly line or out of the warehouse every part ,nut, bolts, interior trim, whatever, and he would make it into a convertible.
    Read Dom Rinaldi's post #3520
    Mark, I hope that I didn't affend you but I just had to clear this up.
    Lou / LAW

22. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

I sold the car to Vinny (answers the question I posted earlier) when I got the Chevelle, then got it back a year later. It was originally red, I painted it a lighter metalflake red that turned out almost pink. Vinny couldn't stand it so he painted it blue. I changed the cam and put it back on the street. I sold it as a street car before I moved to Arizona in the 70's. Don't know what happened to it from there but someone had a street car with a Jesel built, Forgedtrue piston equipped 428 that ran pretty good!
    Would be a rare car if found.:D

23. 442Mike

442Mike

Always on the lookout for some new Olds pics!! I'm tuned!

24. 442Mike

442Mike

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of the Brainbeau car at Indy, sent to me by a friend.

25. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's a recent picture, is it the original car???

Attached Files:

26. kscuda

kscuda
    from olathe, ks

The "Teachers Pet" 64 Wagon and Lee Smith's 66 "Wackee Wagon" hitting
    the strip at Kearney, NE last weekend

Attached Files:

27. club442

club442
    from ohio

anybody have any 65 442 pics? have a bare bones 65 club coupe 442 im putting together and would love to see some vintage pics.Thanks Ron

28. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Ron, I have a couple pictures of the 1965 442 that was raced in B/S and BB/S by Anderson Olds in Balto., MD. I hate to tell you that I DO NOT know how to scan and enter them into the thread! I will have to expand my computer skills one of these days. The car was a local favorite and many time class winner. I'll be glad to make copies and send them to you and hopefully you can scan and enter them for me. That is precisely how some of the pictures of my W31 ended up appearing here. I will look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks, Dave. [email protected]

29. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Great shot of the Brainbeau car!!! The later photo appears to be a different car or a lot of exterior trim was added. The original photo is what I remember and have seen in several vintage articles; the latter looks as though rocker panel moldings,wheel opening moldings, etc. are present. Bye for now.....Dave

30. 65deluxe

65deluxe