Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Next Build Help Can I build something cool to take the family in too?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, May 13, 2010.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Guys,
    Need a little advise. I’ll try and keep this nonsense short. I am thinking about my next build. This will be a long term project most likely now that I have just added my second child to the family. I have the T in my avatar my dad and I built together. And I want a 30-31 A with a roof. Sold an old coupe body a few years ago in a weak moment. I been searching for a decent t 31 Cab but haven’t pulled the trigger.

I could never get into a Sedan because they just didn’t seem to be a hot rod in my mind. I think I want something that the whole family can enjoy. But don’t know if it’s something they would grow out of and then I’m stuck with a car I don’t like. What’s the sense in building a pickup if only 2 can go. I got that with my T. Trouble is I can’t part with that old T even though it’s fun as hell on the right day. I’m almost afraid I’ll never finish one that good again and when it’s gone it’s gone. But it’s very limited in how far you can go & comfort. Then I think an A coupe with a rumble would be a good mix. Probably would trailer it or get followed in an SUV with the kids. Then when we are at the show the kids can jump in the rumble. Or you think I should just man up and realize I need a sedan?? Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I originally bought my '35 Coupe thinking that I would be able to fit the baby in the back behind the seat....which I still might but for some reason it seems kind cruel. SO I ended up trading my '26 roadster away for a '52 Mercury. If you are a Hot Rod kind of feller I don't know if I recommend this very much. I would be looking into '35-'40 Sedans if the money is right and even a full fendered '29 Sedan would be cool. Is doesn't have to be the icon of hot rods but it still can be a Hot Rod. Think, a kid was given a sedan in 1957 he probably was not going to turn it down. He would have ran the shit out of it. No it probably did not make it to Bonneville or even the drag strip....maybe.

Two words. Chrisman Sedan
    [​IMG]

3. Retrorod

Retrorod

My '35 sedan is plenty big. I can get all three of my grandkids safely strapped into the back seat and have enough room for 2.5 adults in the front seat.

4. With all do respect sir.......... A sedan not a hot rod? You opinion, very well. I'm certain you must have heard comments on the T.
    Sedans make awsome rods.

5. bobjob55

bobjob55

your in Maryland.... how many months can you drive a convertible ?? do you think that a bucket T was the only cool car ever made ??? sedans are way cooler .. take the family in a/c comfort is the way to go ..if you are going to trailer it ,,, or have your family fallow you in there Toyota ,, then only you are going to have fun... and you don't want to be that guy that is known as the "trailer queen " ....

6. rivguy

rivguy

If you can afford to keep the T, keep it. But the more you can accommodate the family, the more you will use your new car. Anything with a backseat like a two door or four door sedan. Of course the more comfortable and quieter it is the happier the family will be. Kids complain alot! When my kids came along I found that I would rather spend more time with them and less time riding my motorcycle. Later on I got a 2+2 Datsun Z, which I could fit the kids in the back and still had a sports car. It was good compromise. I would move up to a 40-50s era car.