Register now to get rid of these ads!

NEWS FLASH! Vintage Hemi makes CDN rodder giggly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Went to a small local swap meet today, and look what followed me home.

IMG_8916b.jpg IMG_8919b.jpg

I already have a Desoto Hemi and have been looking for a good crank for a while now. I'm looking at big bucks to have my original crank restored.

While cruizing through the isles at the swap, I spotted one of the heads under the table and noticed a sign saying the rest of the engine went with it. Turned out to be a really nice 56 354 cu.in. Chrysler truck block complete minus distributor and pistons. Needless to say I SCOOPED it. I figured for the price I paid. Restoring the Desoto crank would be slightly less, now I can get more tickle for the ticket and wait for another Desoto crank to come along.

My appologies to the other buyer who saw it before me, but waited to discuss it with his wife before acting. And thanks for hesitating. Your inaction made someone else very happy.

Here's a tip for everyone. Take a knowledgable friend along let him look over your find before buying. There were some things my friend found that would have been surprises had he not spotted them. If you get too excited about something you will miss issues. Friends find them because the purchase hasn't an emotional attatchment to them.

Look under tables and read all signs.

This would be up there with some of my best swap meet scores. Thanks for letting me share.

Doug.

P.S. It is not going on Feepay, Kiwiwi or Craig's Lisp.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. 42 chevy

42 chevy

Great score! I know how it feels to find the engine you are interested in. I feel that way about the big Olds engines, but they are easier to find them a Hemi.

3. Soviet

Soviet

Looks like someone got very excited with their new can of spray paint.

Welcome to the Chrysler hemi club!

4. sololobo

sololobo

Score city man. Good advice on lookin under the tables and having a knowledgable pal in tow. Atta Boy!! ~sololobo~

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

hell i bet most of the folks on the HAMB feel the same way over a hemi engine , or any other cool auto related find , just getting out to a swapmeet makes me feel great and some treasure coming home with me is just a bonus , cant wait for fitchburg airport 17th of april ,

6. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

So now I'm curious. What were the potential surprises that your friend pointed out to you?

7. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Those are the good race heads, "no heat riser passages in the center exhaust ports" but you,ll have to use 331-354 engine components.

8. Fenders

Fenders

CU there, hope I beat you to it (whatever it is !!)

9. Hey, I saw that - didn't have the dough but thought it was a good deal. I just bought some old magazines . . .

Steve

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

SWEET! You lucky dog!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So are you gonna sell the desoto now??

12. Those truck exhaust manifolds are very trick, way better than the smaller car version. Make sure you don't abandon them for block huggers. You can barely see them in this pic of the Hemi in our Deuce.

Johnnie.

Attached Files:

13. Hemrod

Hemrod

He who snoozes looses

14. The only thing that was a real surprise was the flywheel, I hadn't checked it as thoroughly as my friend. He found damage right away, that I should have spotted because I've seen it before, no biggy. There was something else that I can't remember now, but it sure is good to have the second opinion. I'm still in the euphoria stage.

15. Hey George, I'm just going to patiently wait for an affordable crank to come along.

16. Yes, even uneducated about them I could see that those were sweet items to get with the deal.

Sorry about the multiple post replies, but I haven't learned how to multiple quote replies.

I was looking at this picture last night and it bothered me all night. There looks to be a bad crack running through the numbers between the 5 and 6. Not fatal if true, but couldn't wait to get a magnet on it. Whew! So far so good.

IMG_8913b.jpg

Planning on stripping and magnafluxing the rest this week. Any one want to see it all neckid and paintless?

Doug.

17. George G

George G

Red Deer on Saturday??

18. George

George

'54 is a 331, 354 is '56. Witch do you have?

19. Yup.

20. Sorry, typo fixed now. It's a 56 354.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If you get tired of trying to find a crank for your desoto, well uh, it might be able to find a happy loving home out west...;)

Of course then i would have to find a '33-'35 chevy coupe body, and then the wife would yell and scream, and threaten to leave me if i drag home anymore rusty ol' shit...oh well, wouldnt be the first time.

22. Got it bathed this week, except for surface rust it is as clean as the day it came out of the sand. Still on cloud nine. Open to any tips on rebuilding this monster. Magnafluxing is next, stay tuned.

IMG_8932b.jpg IMG_8934b.jpg

23. George

George

Read the Hemi tech index.

24. George

George

25. Got the magnafluxing done on my new motor today and it has been given a clean bill of health.

Next I'm torquing down all the main bearing caps and checking out the alignment. More when I know more.

Doug.

26. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

What was the deal with that crack on the stamp pad?

27. I magnafluxed that before it even went for its dip, that is a deep scratch or a casting flaw of some sort. Went over it again today, still no iron filings or powder collecting in it, I have to trust the equipment.

28. Gave the bearing saddles a straight edge check today. Looks like it has to do "time" at a correctional facility :confused:. That is, "going in for an align bore", for those who don't get my humor.:D Still happy!

Doug.

29. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Great Score and it does pay to be very lucky than good any time ! I am always looking under tables because most don't !
    When I rebuild engines I always do a main line bore , square the block and re-size the rods and have things balanced ! If the customer doesn't want to pay the extra cost for that to be done then they get nothing from me for a guarantee and sometimes I won't even do the engine ! I just can't see why anyone would cut corners on critical things like that . I also see guys not re-sizing the rods and balancing them either along with not squaring the block up . It really doesn't pay to cut corners and will bite you in the ass for sure especially on old engines ! I hate to see people that have an engine built the 1/2 ass way !
    Glad to see you are going about getting that sweet block done the right way ! A good base for a build is the best way to go if you want the engine to last !
    Keep us posted on how she turns out .
    Again , great score !

Retro Jim

30. Thanks for the input Retro Jim or do you like Mr. Retro? I want to do it right. This engine may see a few different cars in its life, unless another one or two pop up, or I find that Desoto crank. I like the idea of doing it only once. I get to be involved in the actual machining so I'm learning as I go too. I've got a top notch instructor/friend Guiding the build.