Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Newport Hillclimb

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Oct 7, 2014.

1. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Here's my '32 5-window, loaded up and ready to go to the Newport Indiana Hillclimb.

We ran the hill in 26 seconds.

1920245_663489017097483_7642311046164208631_n.jpg 10309058_663489047097480_722796581471410195_n.jpg

Bomb, swifty and AHotRod like this.
  2. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I think that is a good looking car!

3. Russt29

Russt29
    from Phoenix,Az

There's a hill in Indiana???

4. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

Can you tell us or show us more about the hill climb? Thanks.

5. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

http://www.newporthillclimb.com/
    The hillclimb is the 2nd largest auto event in Indiana (with the Indy 500 being the first)
    The first hillclimb was ran in Newport in 1909 & the event was resurrected in 1963. The website explains it more, but it's a great event with a neat history! We've been going there for years.

Here's my 1932 Indycar at the event, several years ago:
    2009d2_68.jpg

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I was going to say the same thing when I saw this thread.

Just looks too cool to miss.

Great looking cars you have.

Marked in the calendar for next year, sounds like a road trip.

7. The Newport Hill Climb is an unreal show! I imagine that for the rest of the year Newport is a pretty sleepy little town. I've only been there twice, for the Hill Climb, this year and last. But the whole place is packed wall to wall with people, cars, trucks and flea market and food vendors! It's almost surreal.

Post up more pics if you've got them... I want to see what I missed! :rolleyes: You can see some of my shots at the link below.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/2014-newport-hill-climb-pics.946005/

8. I would love to see more photo's of that beautiful coupe. HRP

9. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Danny ---I can barely navigate this web site,it took 2 days to get this on,I guess I am better at working on hot rods and race cars than playing computer !!

10. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Here it is when pulled out of a barn. The old gentleman in the blue coat was the original owner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

swifty and AHotRod like this.
  11. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a beautiful Coupe !!! Simply ... stunning.

12. Russt29

Russt29
    from Phoenix,Az

Looks like a great show and a good way to spend a weekend. Lots of cool cars... Buuuuttt, still haven't seen a pic of hill yet !!

13. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Go above the 2 man indy racer click on Newport hill climb and then click on gallery for photos for photos shows original hill in early years,still the same hill.Better yet drive over next weekend look at covered bridges and beautiful fall folage,Newport,Indiana

14. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Drive over to Newport,Indiana next weekend,beautiful folage and covered bridges ! Oh sorry you live in Arizona ,go to www.newporthillclimb and search.

15. Russt29

Russt29
    from Phoenix,Az

All in good fun dude, looks like a great event and some beautiful scenery.

16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I've begun to make plans to attend next year, I am a Hoosier after all. Thanks a lot! as if I wasn't busy enough already.

"I need my mirror boy"

17. brady1929

brady1929

18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Couldn't make it this year, but it is a definite Bucket List show. More traditional T's and A's than you have ever seen all in one spot!

19. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

It's a great show, one of my favorites. I used to run the Hill in my truck, back when it still had the flathead six. The hill is much steeper than it looks, it takes a strong car (stock, pre '42) to make it up in high. Your 26 seconds is very good, the best I ever ran was 39 seconds, in second gear.

20. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

A few years back I went because I heard that a Stanley Streamer was going to be there. OMG that thing went up the hill like a rocket - driven by a GIRL no less!! Bunch of my friends run it every year and there's always something special happening. A "lotta see it" event for sure. And yes Indiana has a hill - a couple as a matter in fact! LOL

21. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

That "girl"driving the Stanley Steamer racer was Constance Stanley Boudeman,wife of Buck Boudeman and grand daughter of F.E.Stanley builder of Stanley Steamer.You witnessed history being made my man !

22. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i went this year for the first time,small town laid back atmosphere. you`ll see a lot of interesting vehicles i enjoyed it allot! made a practice run with my `37 1/2 ton ford on Sat., 33.1 seconds. i was a little disappointed.race day [sunday] i decided not to compete - i was two hundred miles from home and if i broke something it could have been a problem.
    tom

23. Wow - barn find extraordinaire! And, apparently, THE original owner?
    Adding a request for details on the deuce AND that good looking low-boy style trailer. What brand is it?

24. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Trailer is shop built,needs repainted towed many miles.

25. A Boner

A Boner

Are hot rods welcome to compete? Cut off year? Go jobs? Speedsters? Pre war? Pre 1950's?
    Could this become the ROG for the Midwest?

26. LOL! The ROG needs a hill! :D

Here's the 2013 competition classes. I think some vehicles can maybe run the hill for a time slip only but not be entered in class competition. Or maybe not. o_O

http://newporthillclimb.com/classyear.php?pick=2013

27. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

When we ran there the official word was the only modified class was F1M
    Meaning model t modifieds.
    Now in reality a bunch of the competition is heavily modified but it is mostly in the driveline where it can't be seen.
    They let some modifieds make exhibition runs but the lions club has the final say if you run.
    If they think its unsafe the won't let you run.

28. swifty

swifty

Looks like a great event which is really good for the small town.

Now we need more details on your 32-5 window. Was it a full rebuild or did the paint buff out OK?
    What running gear as apparently your time of 26 seconds was respectable.

29. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

26 is way ahead of respectable.
    A good running stock 100 hp flatty in a full body car of the 30s will do in the low 30 second range at best.

30. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

The 1932 was never completed the owner started converting it to a hot rod in 1949 worked on and off on it until 1955 then he got married and just stopped working on it.Car had a low mileage Merc flathead with a 1939 Ford trans and a Lincoln 2 speed rear end.He had plans to take the flattie out and put one of those new Chevrolet V8's in it even went as far to split wishbones and bought a total 55 Chev with 1500 miles on it that was sitting alongside the 32.It was a 2dr hdtop with powerpac and stickshift.The 32 had the front end sheet metal off and stored up above car in garage attic.The sheet metal was reinstalled,new wiring harness and the car was washed and polished , no repainting.I was very surprised how well car ran up the hill at Newport , shifted into all 3 gears on lowside of axle and it never missed a beat,I just love it !Car still retains its original interior.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014