Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newest Hemming's Motor News

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noboD, Jul 29, 2008.

1. noboD

noboD

Anyone see the article about York Street Rod NAt'ls? It HAMB certified, just about every car shown is a HAMBer.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Was it writen by the HAMBer on the Hemmings staff?

3. Haven't seen it but probably Daniel Strohl, Foul on here. He speaks our language.
    He even makes reading about non hot rods interesting;)

4. Foul

Foul

that was me. Now let's see if the old-timers throw a fit about seeing hot rods in their Hemmings.
    dan

5. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I don't know about the old timers, but as a loyal purchaser of HMN, you'll get no complaints from me! BTW, I love what you guys have done to the mag. Keep up the good work!

6. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

got any pics

7. flatford39

flatford39

I just sold my 31 roadster pick up on Hemmings on line. It took all of about a two days to get a decent offer. Alot simpler than an Ebay auction.

Keep up the good work.

8. Hemmings is the best it's ever been, I've subscribed for 13 years and I read almost every article in it. Keep it up!

9. skidsteer

skidsteer

Now, if we can only get some of those AACA stalwarts to realize that guys actually built hot rods back in the '50's, and not only 100% stock vehicles, we will have accomplished something. Not only that, but they continue to wonder why they can't get 'young people' interested in the old car hobby, while they exclude a huge portion of enthusiasts.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

What I've been thinking this week after I got my Hemmings, is that the editorial content in the front of the mag is better than most magazines in their entirety, plus we get all the classifieds to boot!

11. HMMMM, buy an issue now and then, maybe I need to subscribe? THat would be the first new sub in 5? years?

12. Foul,
    There's no apologizing for good taste!!!! I'm gonna go find me one.

13. noboD

noboD

I don't want to swing the concept of this thread, it's really about the great improvements at Hemmings. Skidsteer, maybe this topic should have it's own thread? A few years ago there was a movement to bring in historically significant hotrods into AACA. It's way overdue, IMO. Lynn Paxton, the backhoe driver at Jalopy Showdown, was at the forefront of the discussion.

14. BigPeter

BigPeter
    from Tucson

1. I've been a subscriber to Hemmings forever, and seeing it in my mail pile always makes my day. :)

2. I'm a diehard AACA member. Oh, and I'm the webmaster of www.aaca.org and head moderator of forums.aaca.org.

3. Like many AACA "stalwarts" I happen to enjoy hot rods as well as restored cars. You'll be shocked to know one of my other favorite magazines is Ol' Skool Rodz.:)

My personal preference is restored, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and enjoy rods and customs. There are a lot of folks in the AACA who happen to own and drive both. I know from inside information that the current AACA President has a rod or 2 in her garage as well. :D

15. Foul

Foul

thanks for the compliments guys. As for the AACA letting hot rods into their shows, we had a discussion about that on the Hemmings forums last year - http://forums.hemmings.com/viewtopic.php?t=1345. Some interesting viewpoints, whether you agree with them or not.
    dan

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

"Historic Hot Rods" failed as an AACA class because nobody understood what one was. Most of us in favor of the class (For NATIONAL EVENTS)agreed that the Hot Rod was built before 1965 and based on a vehicle of 1948 or earlier vintage. IF you can prove the Hot Rod actually raced it just gets certified as a RACE CAR and can be shown in Class 24A. There have been many Hot Rods shown in this class at Hershey and other National AACA Meets. Local chapters or regions would only have half the cars they get if Rods & Customs were turned away.

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a "BP list of confessions''

Kindda 'Some-O-my best friends are..........'

Don't be so hard on youself

It's really good to see you loosen UP! :D

You hang out here You might be putting a BIG MOTOR in that king midget! Maybe black ....... red wheels...... or even red tires :)

You could get a stick-on tattoo :eek:

Good to see you out in the world, honest.

18. noboD

noboD

Next thing you know we'll be seeing swearing and shit.

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

On the HAMB?????

Are you Fucking kidding!!!

20. skidsteer

skidsteer

Not to hijack this thread, but hope to see some of you at Hershey, maybe a discussion on this issue is in order. Meanwhile, I'll research what has transpired up until now. I didn't realize it was such a hot issue. Remind me to put a thread up on the HAMB in mid-Sept.

21. scarylarry

scarylarry

Trust me, there has been plenty of discussion in the right places. noboD is the secret inside guy at the AACA. :) Seems we just have to wait for a small group of really old guys to ahhh, go away.

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Larry they have gone away from the neck up....... Which is why I find the whole 'Some of my best friends.........'' so underwelming and lost my normal very calm manner. :)

BTW How you feelin?

23. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

Local bookstore was sold out... any chance someone with a copy could scan and post the article? I'd like to read it! -JB

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Larry, The deffinition of an "Historical Hot Rod" is the stumbling block with AACA. IF the Hot Rod raced and the current owner can prove it, it is a "Race Car" in the eyes of AACA and can be shown. So are we looking for documented Hot Rod SHOW CARS or what. Maybe TV cars that we remember from 25+ years ago, Happy Day's RPU etc. Either way the AACA lot isn't going to be covered with Hot Rods.

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

YUP from a group the thinks a Senior Classic is a 197X Rambler 4 door wagon! Go figure!

The Hershey "SHOW" is a mess of late model crap........

And Judging? 'Let's see we're dealer installed Grabber strips an option on the 4 door with out a heater?' Bunch-0-dunces

And "THE FAMOUS"

THAT LOOSER HAS A NAPA OIL FILTER ON HIS CAR!!!! Get off the field

26. noboD

noboD

Since we've gotten off on a tangent talking about stupid shit in the AACA, I heard today that a Shay is allowed on a AACA showfield. BUT it's in the new second generation class, so it can't be point judged!! They were sold as new cars in 1980, warrentee, the whole deal, but no points, they get a fricking $2 chip for spending 20 bucks. How about a damned award?? They could be restored, just like a '83 Dodge minivan so why not reward the owner with a real award? Bluto's right, gone from the neck up.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

After 30 years of AACA judging I had way more than enough. They will accept ANY 25 year old wreck to get dues money. Wonder were the elusive "Younger Members" are? HERE on the HAMB haveing a good time! The fact that there are some of the most knowledgeable and friendly people on here, WORLDWIDE,history as well as technically is another plus.

28. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Judging .........

"That's the original baby puke in the back of my 83 mini van for the original test drive !! Here I had my son puke in the bag to prove it!! See same stuff!! I had him eat Gerbers for a week!! SEE!!''

Who's the fat guy with the white shoes to match his nose hairs.... a judge!

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Humor, that is another thing you can fine here.

30. Great article. I truely enjoy HMN. I think it's a great pubication that I look forward to each month.

Foul...Keep up the good work

BTW...Is "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me." a Clutch quote by chance??

BloodyKnuckles