Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie Inliner Needs Help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trucked Up, May 22, 2010.

1. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Just done my first inline 6 build. A Chevy 250 with a mild cam, Langdon cast headers, Offy intake and modified head with lump ports installed.

Heres the problem. After doing the exhaust the rap and general tone is not to my liking. Now I know that is subjective but I want to, if possible, obtain a mellow quiter sound that doesn't warn the community of my approach miles away.

Heres a little info about what I have tried. Again I do have cast headers so the exhaust is split. 2 1/4 pipe with cross over through to just short of the rear bumper with the tips out of sight and turned down slightly. Because of the build the mufflers were installed just in front of the rear axle, can't move them rear any more.

My first set of mufflers that I tried was a set of Flowmaster Hushpowers. I've got a set on a Rambler with a 287 V-8 and they really toned it down. Not here, they have that rap and sound that most of the people I talk with enjoy, just not what I am looking for.

Next choice was a set of Flowmaster 44's. Suprising to me,as the 44's are an open chambered type, was I thought it sounded better but it still has that rap sound.

Is this something I am going to live with? I do wish to have a tone indicitive of a inliner, just don't want to be herd from the next county.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  2. mj40's

mj40's

Any muffler designed for performance is going to be the straight thru design for less back pressure. You may want to look into a street muffler.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Have you got a balance pipe connectinf the two exhaust pipes. Sort of an X pipe. That will smooth out the rapp some. Most like the rapp that have sixes,

4. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Yes I done a crossover pipe.

5. I have Magnaflows on my Y-block and they aren't noisy at all. Very mellow sound. Of course don't know how they'd sound on an I-6 but they work for me.

6. I had a 26" Smithy in my inline 230" Mopar. It gave a mellow rumble that was pretty quiet. In hindsight, I should have gone for a 22" Smithy. I really liked the tone, just a bit quiet.
    Now I have a pair of 22" Smithys on my flattie V8. They are mounted just in front of the rear end because that's the only place I had room. They sound really nice, good low rumble and dont have that obnoxious rapp that gets on your nerves after a few minutes. I'm happy with them.
    And contrary to popular belief they are not made in China, they're American according to a Hamber who works for them.

7. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Can anybody give me some insight on the comparison between the Smithys and Thrush as far as quieting capability??????