Register now to get rid of these ads!

newbie from Texas

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by rjason, Mar 14, 2010.

1. rjason

rjason

Hey everyone. I've actually been a member for a couple of years, but have only posted a couple of times. Sorry for not introducing myself sooner...no excuse, just slacked off. I've been reading a lot on here and checking out the Friday Art Show for a while and this site and it's members are awesome!

I love traditional rods and kustoms!! My dream is to build an old school 30's truck. I didn't really grow up in a car family, so what I know about them, I either taught myself or learned from reading (learning a lot here on the HAMB). I try not to ask too many stupid questions, but occassionally one slips through, so please forgive my ignorance in advance.

I have a '53 Chrysler Windsor 4dr DeLuxe in the garage that I am slowly working on as I get time and money. I picked up a Chrysler 318 V8 for it but sold it because what I really want is to get the original L-head 6 up and running. In the meantime, my daily driver is my '64 Buick LeSabre 4dr. It is a low-mileage all original car that I have big plans (dreams) to make into a mild custom.

Anyways, that's more than enough about me! Thanks to several of you here who have answered questions and offered help when I have posted questions. I look forward to getting to know you all, and learning from everyone here.

Jason (rjason)

2. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Sounds cool to me! You planning on going to Lonestar Round Up?

3. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Welcome from west Ga.

4. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

Howdy, from Colorado.

5. farmer12

farmer12

Always good to have a fellow Mopar nut on board. Welcome from the Netherlands!

6. rjason

rjason

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

DirtyJohn, I will be at the Round-up. This will be my first time. The wife and I will be cruising down in the Buick and my sister and bro-in-law are tagging along in their '61 Catalina. We are all pretty psyched about going and I am counting down the days!
    Maybe I'll see you there?

7. rjason

rjason

Also, hello Stretch, Theo, and Farmer 12. It's pretty cool to see just how far and wide this HAMB community stretches! Are the pics in all of your avatars your rides? Pretty sweet!

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Welcome from Ohio

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Cool stuff. Welcome from Cleburne.

10. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Welcome & good to hear you will be at the Round Up - be sure and attend the meet & greet! See ya there

11. wino01

wino01

Welcome from New Waverly, see you in Austin!!!

12. Philbilly

Philbilly

Welcome from Mississippi.

13. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

welcome from Ga

14. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I will drive down on Saturday and back that night. I know...I'm going to miss a lot of the fun, but can't be helped. Haven't driven it yet so I'm pretty excited. If you see my car stop by and say hi!

15. Welcome from Denton, what part of the republic are you from?

16. rjason

rjason

DirtyJohn, I will definitely look for your car Saturday and say hey. You're probably going to want to trade cars with me, so I've given it some thought, and I will be a good guy and take that little hot rod T off your hands. lol I knew it looked familiar!! I just watched your link on YouTube and you mentioned the Texas Thaw. I was there on Saturday this year...a tunnel ram sticking out of a Model T is pretty hard to forget. Awesome car!

66Newport,
    I grew up around Dallas and have lived in Rockwall for the last 6yrs. Living in Denton, I guess you were probably at the Thaw as well? Makes me wonder how many HAMB'ers I've probably already seen and didn't even know it. Between the Thaw and Dallas Autorama, etc.

Look forward to seeing AND meeting some of you next month in Austin!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  17. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks for the kind words Jason! That helps me to get out in the garage and do some more work. I'll be easy to find...just look for a jackass grinning ear to ear lol!

18. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Welcome from Victoria.

19. rjason

rjason

Hey DurtyJohn,
    what do you have left in the works for that thing? It looks pretty done to me. The more I look at it, the more jealous I get! I wish my Chrysler was far enough along to drive to the LSR. I was a little disappointed that the rules were "pre '64 cars"...I was thinking it would be '64 and earlier. Missed it by one year for the Buick so I guess I will be parking outside. Oh well, maybe that will give me the motivation to spend a few more nights turning wrenches in the garage before next year.
    When I see you in Austin you can tell me the story of how a guy comes to own a T like that. I'll buy you a beer to keep you from getting thirsty.

20. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Hate to hear that about your ride.I do like the beer though! Check out my album,"my addiction" if you want to see a 70's survivor. I got in way over my head on this one and somehow I'm starting to see the light of day. I just have small stuff left mainly. Need to pull my oil pan and run some silicone around it due to an oil leak. Good friend of mine James Beaver (LeaveItToBeaver) is going to pull my axles and redrill them because the guy who did it the first time apparently drilled them to big and spot welded the studs on instead of pressing/screwing them in. Found that out when we took a wheel off and and a stud just about fell out of the hub!

21. rjason

rjason

Just checked out your album, DirtyJohn...looks like you have done a lot of work on your ride to get it looking that good! My favorite is the pic of the freshly painted/coated frame w/ rolling gear and that beautiful engine/tranny bolted in! Nice!
    Glad you found the hub problem sooner rather than later...that could have been nasty rolling down the highway 8o

22. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Don't you know it? I plan on racing it too! I was lucky on that one. Hard to find good craftmanship anymore.

23. rjason

rjason

Any guesses on how much hp you're putting out? Or has it been dyno'ed? I can just imagine what a blast it would be driving such a light, open cab car with that much motor!

24. Oldskool27T

Oldskool27T
    from Tyler,Tx.

Welcome from Canton,Tx.

25. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Me and my braintrust are guessing about 550 HP, but we have plenty of tweaking to do. Might even do better. I have no thoughts of putting it on a dyno, because with my luck I'd end up building a new motor. I should have it on the road next weekend so I'll pm you about what it was like after I get out of jail lol!

26. farmer12

farmer12

Yes. (well before tearing it down that is!)

27. big bad john

big bad john

Welcome from the land of Cheese.....Big Bad John:D

28. grf-x

grf-x

Welcome from NM and MI Jason