Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures New ZR1 laps Nurburgring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brootal, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I did a quick search and didn't see this already posted. I know it's not trad, and I know it's not a hot rod, but HOLEEEEEEEE SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT, this is some seriously cool footage.

In car of a whole lap of the 'Ring, quickest ever in a production car, until a Viper went 4 seconds quicker apparently (according to comments). Would like to see footage of that!

Anyway, check out what it's like to take corners at over 100mph and hear what street tyres sound like when they're on the ragged edge. Nice thing is, being a production car, it's not just engine/gearbox/diff/blower whine. You can hear everything!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ZR1-Nurburgring-Official_170754.htm

Just found the Viper lap. Haven't watched it yet, should be cool. :)

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Viper-ACR-Laps-722_179743.htm

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

it's posted on wikipedia that the srt=10 acr went 4 seconds faster than the zr-1, but I'm having a tough time believing that. aren't vipers clumsy around the bends? and the nurburgring is nothing but bends. i don't know if i'm being biased because I'm bowtie till I die but I would imagine the ZR1 being at least 2-3 seconds faster the Viper. still very cool that american muscle is improving their handling and even beating the europeans at their own course. TAKE THAT JEREMY CLARKSON!!!

p.s.
    Wikipedia is user edited btw.

3. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

My dad took a ride around today in a Viper (02 i think, practically stock cept for tires n wheels) and he said Mike (the viper owner) made a u-turn in 3 lane road (6 lane overall) going no less than 45mph. Try that in your car and see what happens, lol. Vipers HUG the road.

4. The Viper time is apparently 'official' but you'd have to wonder how quick it could go if it wasn't bouncing off the rev limiter into a few of the bends AND on the main straight. Plus he missed a shift towards the end of the lap as well.

Pity it didn't have the telemetry of the ZR1 video, that was very cool.

5. Cruiser

Cruiser

I for one love lead sleds and Corvettes that was awesome, thanks for posting it. :D

CRUISER :cool:

6. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Damn!!!
    Those videos made MY butt-hole pucker up a time or two. I cant even IMAGINE what it would be like to take a ride like that!

7. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

6 lanes = not really a hairpin

try that with my car? uuhhh, what does my old 60 year old car with leaf springs all the way around have to do with a conversation with vipers and vettes?

just saw that the viper was a newer version. so I am slowly becoming a believer. But I still think the old ones were big clumsy brutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpEaMr4Yq48

And yes I did drive one, around the nurburgring even, against people all over the world......on xbox live HA!. even though it was a video game, it's still a racer simulation, the same ones Dale Jr. uses, so it does hold some weight.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Neat stuff. What is more remarkable is the speed of the new super cars. I attended F-1 races there in 1968 - 1970. The new super cars are almost as fast as those F-1 cars were back then! I did recognize a few places, like Adeneau (sp?) where I got off the train and the carousel. I'll never forget the sound of the 12 cylinder Ferrari's on the straight headed back to the start line. I also remember getting really shit faced in the camp gounds with a bunch of Canadian Infantry guys who were giving free Mini-cooper rides! Gary

9. ThatOne49

ThatOne49

lemme rephrase... a u-turn from the far lefthand turn lane, not across 6 lanes. idk if i'd try that at 45 - 50mph.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This is exactly what he Viper was designed to do. It was supposed to be the modern day Cobra.

Brutal yes, but in a very road racing way....