Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Welder Purchase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FNG, Sep 1, 2017.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

I need to upgrade my mig welder its still works fine and gets the job done for the most part but I need more power as in 220volts instead of the 120 volt machine I have now a Snap On YA219B

So I narrowed my choices between two machines the first being a used
    Lincoln Pro mig 175 for $500 used but never used if you get my meaning and an ESAB Fabricator 141 brand new for $602.50 I know there are a lot bigger better machines out there as I have owned several but I am limited to the amount of 220 amps as the power company won't put in a separate service in my shop so I am on a sub panel off my house.

So would you go for the EASB for a $100 more brand new vs the new/used Lincoln

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I don't know about the specific units you are referring to, but I have an old Lincoln 255 amp machine that has been trouble free for 18 years. ESAB has a good name, and I wouldn't worry about having anything they make.
    What I do when I am making a decision like that, is Google problem with "make" and "model" of machine I am interested in purchasing. If a lot of negative comments appear for a specific unit, then I continue searching.

Terrible80 likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The type and duration of the warranty on the new one should also enter into the equation, IMO.

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Miller,Hobart,Esab all good.CHEVY OR FORD YOUR CA.LL

5. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Find out the availability/cost for consumables, replacement cables, liners, guns, and drive parts. For both.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

My Lincoln is 20 years old, never an issue and i've run alot of wire thru it.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. oldolds

oldolds

Both quality company's. For $100 I would get the new one. It has a warranty. All other thins being equal. I hate to spend $500 and it self destructs in the first few weeks.

8. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

All good points especially about the warranty

clunker likes this.
  9. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I bought a used Lincoln sp175t 5 yrs ago and still going strong. I've welded 3/8" steel plate with no problem. Paid 500 for it and would do it again.

Used different makes of welders and I always come back to the Lincoln as my preference. To me I feel they weld better .

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Just went thru this myself. Flat wore out my Lincoln 125SP+. Decided on the 220V Hobart Handler 190. Came with a free spool gun for running aluminum. So far I really like it. The settings on the lid are spot on for the most part based on thickness and wire size. Any tractor supply, Northern Tools, etc will have consumables for it. Also bought a really nice 50' drop cord so I can reach anywhere in by shop.
    JMO,
    SPark