Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New un-started 350 crate engine stuck NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nicks1950sled, Sep 2, 2015.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As they said, undo the converter and slide it back--pull the plugs too-then see if it will turn with and lg screwdriver on the flex plate--if so, then try the starter. It's either hydrolocked or bound up by the converter from the symptoms you describe. Don't try to turn it over with out the plugs removed.

2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would disconnect the flexplate from the converter first and try spinning it over.

3. ^^^ inclination^^^

What the fuck is wrong with you people ?

Engine stuck.
    Plugs out
    Breaker Bar won't move engine

Oh geeze that's simple, just unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate.

Y'all know a way to unbolt the converter when the engine won't turn ?

I sure miss the old hamb

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. Disconnect the alternator. Had an alternator starting to go on my later model pickup, and it seized when I shut it off to inspect. Engine wouldn't turn over until I disconnected belt. Alternator had seized right up.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Go back to square one. Remove the starter and try turning the engine (with plugs out) with a breaker bar. One possibility is that the starter is jammed up against the flex plate. You said you got a 168 tooth flexplate, there are two different starters, one for the smaller flexplate and one for the larger one. How many teeth did the old flexplate have?

My guess is that you have the wrong starter, as I recall, you need the one with the staggered bolt pattern, not the straight across pattern. But at least drop the starter out of there entirely and see what happens.

The more I think about it, I think your starter is jammed up.

Don

Model T1, LongT and thirtytwo like this.
  6. ^^^ a voice of reason^^^

image.jpg

RICH B likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, just pull the transmission off the engine, then reach in to the converter bolts with an open end wrench.

8. Yep, that'll fix it. Lol

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't say it was a good way, but it's a way

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. 46deluxe

46deluxe
    from australia

Is it possible the valve covers you changed are binding on your rockers ?

squirrel likes this.
  11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Sorry you are having bad luck but....you need to look at the big picture. The way it's going, GM can claim the damage was done by you in your effort to unstick it. So it may be time to call a wrecker.
    With that said, if you know you screwed up and it's all on you anyway, you might as well try to fix it. If it's GMs fault let GM handle it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. X2, well said!! It's like talking to my ex-wife.

13. So logic tells me if if turned to install the converter bolts, then try to backtrack steps until it turns again, if you can remember the order you put it together. Either way it seems to be something external not a problem with engine internals.

14. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm with the comments of removing the starter... If you turned it over by hand and got to all the bolts and then it locked up as soon as you hit the key perhaps starter is engaged and bound up.... I would begin there

Model T1 likes this.
  15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm on board with the converter not being correctly seated when it was tightened to the flexplate. I also would't squirt WD-40 into/onto any machined surface, such as the cylinders, as it's hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water from the atmosphere. It could rust the cylinders, although I don't think that's what is going on here. You're going to have to free up the converter somehow; I don't see how it could be much else. You've pulled the plugs, so it's probably not hydro locked. While the inspection cover is off the trans to loosen the converter, you can also evaluate the starter to flexplate clearance. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. 2racer

2racer

what if the converter bolts are the problem, hitting the block?

Model T1 likes this.
  17. What color socks were you wearing when you installed the engine???

18. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

!!!!! FIXED !!!!! the problem all along ended up being the darn starter motor! the starter solenoid was not returning the drive gear back in place. I missed it, because when I took flexplate cover off it would bump the starter enough to release it some times. I had to pry the starters drive gear off the flexplate with a huge flat head, and know it spins freely!!!! Thank you all for your help, it really helped me out and put me in the right direction as to where to look. I guess now I need to get a better starter. any recommendations??? Thanks guys!!!

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. You need to see where the problem really is. You've got the big what if negative excitement past you now

A Jambed up gear should still let engine spin with a breaker bar. It should also spin with the starter but the flywheel might not the drive gear go.

20. gatz

gatz

IIRC, some GM starters req'd a shim or spacer where it mounts up.
    And some (not all) had a forward brace or bracket to help keep the starter stable.

21. Do you know how to check for clearance when you mount the starter?

22. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

shim it down until a 1/8 drill bit fits between the meshed gears...a new starter, while it may "fix" the problem, may not be necessary

23. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

Not really no, how do I go about it? Thanks.

24. S.F.

S.F.

One time I had too long fly wheel bolts, and that prevented the engine from turning, did you have the fly wheel off?

25. S.F.

S.F.

never mind...saw that you got it fixed

26. nicks1950sled

nicks1950sled

27. ChefMike

ChefMike

OH BOY !

28. studebaker46

studebaker46

I knew had to something simple because I have one of those same motors (260hp) from jegs and they are run before they are shipped from factory, now then I would almost bet a $1to a donut hole that the starter and the fly or flexplate don't match. if it worked with the other eng and the flywheel is only difference, tom

29. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

That was my guess when I read your first post, ( ask me how I know) glad you got it sorted out.