Register now to get rid of these ads!

new tv show tonight- AMERICAN HOT ROD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A-Bomb, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Here's the part that got me...

He runs around the shop screaming and slamming doors saying things like "We need to get this done...MY reputation is on the line..." Well, PICK UP A FUCKING WRENCH and DO something. Oh, wait, he did put that wheel on. Nevermind.

2. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

why does he ride around in a motorized scooter?
    why does he have more than one motorized scooter?
    why doesn't he sport some badass "dub's" on his motorized scooter(s)?

the show did nothing for me...
    i am entertained by american chopper.
    i haven't liked any of the bikes that much, but i enjoy watching the process...
    american "hot rod" lacks the things that make the choppers show watchable... imho

3. why doesn't the CAD kid move his mouth when he talks?? i ended up changing before it was even over...what will discovery come up with next [​IMG]

4. Yeah, tooo bad Boyd paid for the bandwidth we are using................

5. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, tooo bad Boyd paid for the bandwidth we are using................

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think he paid as of yet

6. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[ QUOTE ]
    Perhaps American Street Rod would have been a better title.

[/ QUOTE ] Dude thats exactly what I was gonna say. I had to find all my gold chains to really get into the show. His little scooter he rides around on sucks, he shoulda let the kid jump that car, And he definetly seems like an asshole. " yeah we gotta work on the weekend 'cuz we made this commitment, but Im gonna be at the roadster show..." -J.

7. It sucked and here's why...
    The show didn't show the passion for building a hot rod. It treated the entire procedure as a business transaction, not a labor of love.
    There was absolutely no fun involved with any part of the show. Therefor, the show didn't represent my involvement with hot rods whatsoever.
    But the worst part was................there were no hot rods in the entire show! That store bought, tupperware plastic statue of a roadster body was made by someone else than the builder or the owner. MIght as well have picked it off the shelf at walmart.The engine and transmission was the same...ordered in from the engine shop guys...Interior shipped out to the interior shop guy.. PTOOEY! I was not impressed but I didn't really think they'd put a true hot rod show on network tv.....no money in it...

8. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

OK I got a good one, "Discovery" should discover Mark Moriarity's Garage. You know building a rad car outta simple home tools (IE., a stick, a rock and a hand saw)
    FRITZ

9. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Discovery Channel picked that Jimmy Buffet shirt wearing HACK to represent the Hot Rod community, what a joke!!!!! At least on the motorcycle shows they use there imagination and make something from scratch, I may not be into the finished project but no one can argue that those guys have tremendous skill. What'd they create on America Hot Rod other than a plastic model with a poor color combo?
    I think they need to re-think there representative for the hot rod world and give Cole a call!!!!!!

10. Machinos

Machinos

Jesus that show SUCKED. I think I actually HATE Boyd Coddington. Not just "dislike" anymore, HATE. What a complete dick. He rides around on one of those old-man scooters while wearing a hat WITH HIS NAME PRINTED ON THE FRONT at all times, then barks orders to his minions. His taste in everything is completely horrible. Blue and yellow, wow. I had some Transformers when I was 9 years old that had that same paint scheme.

I'd rag on him for apparently dumping his ex-wife to get some poodle-hugging gold-digger bimbo, but his ex-wife is a monster bitch from the looks of it.

There is no place in the world I would hate working at more than Boyd Coddington's "Garage".

And let's not forget the BONDO on the TIG WELDS on the FRAME OF THE CAR!

11. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

As my name implies... [​IMG]

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

The WORST part is that after a couple of weeks, EVERYONE that wants to be cool will be wearing "Boyd Coddington" T-shirts and putting stickers on their truck windows. Oh well, maybe they'll have to throw out their West Coast Choppers gear to make room. [​IMG]

And just like that, through the miracle of Television, Boyd will be able to triple his prices because everyone watching at home that has read the economic magazines about the growing Hot Rod industry but didn't know where to "invest" will now know Boyd Coddington as the beginning and end of Hot Rod builders.

"Just like Jesse James"
    (How's that song go?)

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

I don't think this show will take off like the other ones did . That shop looked as sterile as theyr cars, totaly lacking karacter . Insert Deadline here , add abrasive employers , As per magic formula . But uninteresting to watch .

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

I had hopes for this show but was dissapointed to say the least.It was a obvious attempt to mimic American Chopper but missed the target by a mile.Staged rage,fake dead lines and uninspired building.Kit car 101.
    I met Boyd in Columbus and spoke with him for a few minutes.He came off as a deceint guy then and maybe as a person he ain't all that bad.But as a builder he seems to have lost his passion.Isn't that what it's all about?

15. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

well,i guess im the only one who has a lil more respect for boyd now. the whole time i was watching the show i was thinking
    "man,i can only dream to have an operation and the facilities like that"

top notch

16. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Well there was one real hot rod on there for a second and a hambers car to boot. They show So Whats RPU going through the gate. The best part of the whole show...

17. I wonder if there is another message board somewhere with guys talking about how much they liked the show and how cool it was to see "Boyd" on TV.
    And then complaining off and on about there not being enough bilit parts used and they had the wrong "Wheel of the Week" on the car.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I was expecting to have to rag on the guys complaining about the high dollar build-up of a guy who made millions building cars...after all if you are smart enough, you should be able to pick up a LOT of things you can use! Techniques, process of fitting parts, bodywork, paint, assemble procedures, etc. I had expected a lot of criticism just cause he's building real nice finished stuff.
    I was mistaken. I really didn't learn anything from it. Maybe I'm getting more like you guys?
    It was a "build a car/bike with off the shelf products" show with a script. Very disappointing. Esp. in light of the fact that Boyd was a premier builder, doing some really cool stuff, Is he still? Is he really the guy who executed "Cadzilla"?

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I swear I saw Sowhat (Clarks roadster p/u) entering the fairgrounds in that shot at the Good Guys. Anybody tape it? Was he even there? Am I nuken futs?

Any hot rod show is better than no hot rod show. Not my style but I may be able to pick up something along the way.

I dig American chopper. They built stuff in FRONT of the camera. Maybe they will do the same with hot rods some day. I hope so.

20. james

james

What bothered me was that you could have inserted any product into that "factory". "American lawn furniture" "American beer mugs" etc. I don't know why anyone would drop a hundred grand or more on one of those. "Up to $500,000"?!? I'd buy a ferrari 360 and then build every rod and custom i ever wanted myself. The ferrari would have more personality than the tupperware car. If you've ever seen anything about ferrari there are some real old world craftsmen there who have passion. I think they need to do a show on Cole. I do still like those motor mounts!

21. It sucked, I hear the next deadline is getting a set of 22 inch rims on a 40 ford. His looked wife good, either he married her recently or she's been around a while and just as plastic as his car was last night.

22. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

No comment on the content of the show....... [​IMG]

But his weight loss is because HE HAS DIABETES............

The very first thing the Doc tells you when you have Diabetes is to LOSE WEIGHT. It helps with the insulin doseages or lowers the amout of pills you need to control your blood sugar..... [​IMG]

I speak on this from experience...........darn it!!

[​IMG]

23. InPrimer

InPrimer

the fantasy ending would have been to take the ex wife and keeping her head under water until the bubbles stopped..... if she goes off on a guy (or anyone for that matter) over a small bill can you understand why Boyd eventually dumped her for the Bimbo, another thought, why would you let your ex wife run the $$$$$ end of the operation you couldn't even claim the WRONG amount of yearly income for alimony purposes, she's got him right by the balls... PS I met Boyd a few years ago and def a full tilt asshole no matter how innovative he is or was...

24. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Boyd impressed me with his Center-Door T back in the 70s. It was kinda cool, and somewhat different.

After that, I always got the impression that he just looked over Buttera's shoulder and tried to find ways to exploit, basterdize and profit from whatever innovations Lil John had cooked up! The Vern Luce coupe was a refreshing break that showed some promise in the 80s...but by then I wonder just HOW much Boyd had to do with the actual design and build-up of that rod.

To me, Boyd just represents greed gone awry...he's totally lost ANY passion or desire he EVER may have had for cars and just sees them as money in his pocket. He treats his underlings like shit, and flatters himself by thinking that HE can be their hero and mentor by giving lame pep talks and doing staged burn-outs in his ugly truck! I bet he even made them agree to LOSE the go-kart race so HE could win!

I pretty much thought that I knew how Boyd would be as a person...and how he acted on the show last night mirrored what I had expected to a Tee!

Yeah...for all the silly catch phrases and grandstanding for the camera, at least the Tuetuls are INTO what they're building...and they BUILD the bikes from raw materials...not from plastic kits shipped in from Australia!

I still wanna see "American Shitboxes" on Discovery...I'd like to watch as Germ and his crew drop a six-carbed small block into the 52 Ford pimpmobile and make a tue HOT ROD out of it! Whatever the result, the show would be WAY more entertaining to watch...and none of the antics would have to be STAGED (Though, I suspect many would have to be EDITED!)!

Whatever. Boyd's lame....and now there's a video doccumentary to PROVE it!

25. 53 Kaiser

53 Kaiser
    from York, Pa.

It sure looked like Clarks, So What truck going in the gates.

26. mojo66

mojo66

wouldn't it be fun to send this thread to Discovery and Boyd? That would show 'em that the HAMB has spoken and we mean business!!!

27. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

To hell with a 6 week build time for a tupper ware Streetrod. lets see a Original steel car build into a real street driven hot rod with a very limited real word budget.

Dealing with old damage and rust.

28. 200 channels and still nothing to watch.

I'm headed out to the garage, I believe there's a couple hot rods out there awaiting - if not demanding - my attention....

29. Chuck Fish

Chuck Fish

It's not about people or cars, it's ALL about $$$$MONEY.
    Same thing happened to motorcycles.

Chuck Fish

30. lulabelle

lulabelle

Yes!I too saw the "media whore"conviently" drive thru the shot!I wanted to rewind it just to make sure.Good job Clark!