Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New to flathead engines

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Vantucky shoebox, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Got a running flathead in my 49 shoebox how did I performe a flush on the engine to clean it out. Any advice Is appreciated thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jerry Perkins

Jerry Perkins

To easy. Remember that each side of the block is separate. You have to flush both sides. I just put a house in at the top of the head and rinsed them down through the water pumps. You could drain the block and fill out with cooling flush then rinse it all out again. If you really need to you can pull the radiator and take it to a radiator shop and they can acid bath the radiator.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not if there is thermostats in that 8BA motor. They wont let you flush unless they are open or just remove them, easy fix. Put them back when you are done. Pull the hose, you can see the Tstat if they are in there.

Vantucky...LOL.

4. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Also consider if you flush from the top hose down through the engine you might want to take off your bottom radiator hoses - otherwise you just flush the crud into the bottom radiator tank.

If you leave the hoses on water will come out the top hoses but likely all that will happen is once you start the engine the crud will move back from the lower tank into the engine.

If it is really gunked you will getter better results by flushing the engine and radiator separately.

Cheers

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

6. You might want to loosen the heater hoses and shove the garden hose in there to flush the heater as well.