Register now to get rid of these ads!

new stromberg 97's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by owen thomas, Jul 28, 2008.

1. owen thomas

owen thomas

Anyone tried the new Stromberg 97’s yet? Or know anyone that has?
    Lot of money for a 2-barrel carb, but brand-new would be cool.

2. Chopperman

Chopperman

When I was looking for them noone had them in stock. Sac vintage advertises them everywhere but they can't get em.

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

They should be available now. I heard they shipped from UK last month & several folks had them in stock now.

Also heard that Speedy Bill has his own now - not quite true to original (bases are AL, I think), but he's been making many of the parts for a long time. I hear they're very, very close to release...

4. jonnycola

jonnycola

Yep. they rule but are hard to find. They're just like originals but better. Their parts rule too...

I got all of my stuff from The Hot Rod Company. www.hotrodcompany.com

5. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was told the opposite from Speedway. They didn't want to warranty anything from South America. Maybe they've changed their minds. . .

6. Abomination

Abomination

Ditto - I heard that, too.

~Jason

7. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Give it a couple of weeks and we'll let you know how they work. Will be putting one on a 312 Tri-power. Looks nice rightout of the box at least

8. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

someone was selling two of them in the classifeds the other day.

9. I put a 2x2 set-up on my (now Fuelpump's) '38 not long ago. I had one good 97 to start with & then bought 5 more trying to piece together one good one. After I sold off the carbs & pieces I couldn't use, I still probably had $300 in that one when I finally got it together. I installed them & they leaked, moving parts were sticky & rough, & even after a rebuild it was still obvious that they weren't totally right.

Admittedly I'm no professional carb builder.

The fear of an engine fire led me to sell my pair here on the HAMB for $450. I then bought a pair of new 97's from Eric at Riley Automotive. They were perfect. Everything moved smoothly & they didn't require more than a few minutes of tinkering to have a dual set-up running like a top.

If you can afford the new 97's I would highly recommend them. My two stockers covered the cost of one new one so it was like only having to pay for one out of pocket. Of course, my HAMB Alliance discount helped too.
    http://www.riley-auto.com/STROMBERG_97_carbs.html

JH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I have repaired several new 97s..Emulsion tubes upside down, no emulsion tube holes, float pin burred so the float stuck..idle jets solid inside, check valve ball missing. That is a quality control issue.
    They do perform well and look good..$450.00
    A rebuilt 97 from somebody who knows what they are doing will perfrom as well and not leak..OH.. and they are original..$300.00 to $350.00..That is a nice savings..
    Duane..

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

For $450.00 you could buy one of these and be different and they do operate just fine..
    Duane..

Attached Files:

12. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next time you see a dodgy new one, send it to me. I do the warranty work, what little there is of it. Free parts, labor and shipping. I'd rather work on 10 new ones than 1 old one sometimes.

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..I don't charge for the repairs of the new ones..I enjoy seeing what is wrong and fix it..I can repair them in no time, (no soaking them for days and fighting to get them apart),and get them back to the owners..
    Sure, new ones are easy...They aren't 70+ years old and sitting on someone shelf..The fun is to bring them back to life..Like restoring a vintage car..It's in the challenge
    Duane..

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Well, timing has conspired against me. I was going to test out one of Speedy Bill's new ones on my '40 today (that's why I said he was close - he's got 'em out to folks to test), but couldn't get over there. The other fellow is out of town from tomorrow to next week and I'm out of town the next two weeks...

...would've at least liked to have seen the thing & held it in my hand.

15. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

I have 2 new ones up for grabs.., never ran the new ones personally.