Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New shop air compressor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodRocket, Dec 1, 2022.

1. andyh1956

andyh1956

I don't know if anybody needs it, but in the Birmingham Craigslist is a 2 stage 175 PSI Champion R2-30A-P03 compressor pump for sale @ a bargain!

rusty valley likes this.
  2. Carb Answer Man

Carb Answer Man

If it has oil in it, keep it, if its an oil less, put it in a box will a exhaust fan, the only way to keep them from getting contamination where you dont want it.

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

What do you plan to do with the compressor ? Will you be operating air tools, painting, and sand blasting ? If so, then a large compressor will be needed. If not, then a smaller less expensive one may suffice. One thing I always liked to do was take an air tool that uses a lot of air and see if the compressor of choice will keep up. Connect the tool turn it on and see if the compressor will kick off or must run continuously while the tool is running. First thing though is we need to know what you want to be able to do with the compressor.:)

4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

My old 2 stage Curtis came from a dental lab.. Giant 110 V GE Maybe 1.5 HP motor.
    I change pulleys to increase the rpm about 30%, added a Tractor Supply 3 or maybe 5 HP 220 motor on it and put a very oversized silencer filter on it.
    Not objectionably noisy at all.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Congrats on the new shop. That's exciting!

@Tman touched on the most important consideration - cfm. Get the "best" highest output you can afford. BUT if your new shop is small or the compressor is in your work space, consider how loud it is and the space the compressor will take.

I had a 80 gallon Quincy QT-5 and though it was powerful it was way too loud in my small shop.

I sold it off and a cheap, slow-filling 60 gal sits in its place. I bought it to paint my coupe... it may be too small or not perfect but I can hear myself think and it doesn't scare the daylight out of me when it kicks on... hahaha.

6. Your 60 will be fine. Back in the 80s we painted dozens of cars with a 20 gal!

-Brent- likes this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I just replaced my old Kobalt with a rusted tank with the 60 gallon 5 horse Ingersoll Rand from Tractor Supply. I've heard mixed things about it but so far so good. I've only had it about two weeks so far so hopefully it holds up.

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the 80 gallon 5 hp IR unit from Tractor Supply. Had it for at least a couple of years. Doesn't get used every day but does everything I need. At 71 it should last longer than I do.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While we're on about this we should think duty cycle too. It's all good when you swap tires or do some occasional grinding, then that big job comes along and the poor bastard runs off n on all day, maybe for weeks or months at a time at nearly a commercial pace. See where this is going? In my low volume shop I might not need air for a week depending on the job, then it might be on every day for months. I always shut my compressor down at night. I cringe about line leaks too. I know guys who never turn theirs off. So what happens when that box store hose blows and it runs all night? Or all weekend while you're racing or at an event? Or all week while you're on vacation? Just some friendly convo between shop pals here, no judgements.

10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know where the OP lives so that may be a consideration. I have had a Quincy (still running in my old shop after 30 years), a Snap On (had to replace the valve reeds several times) and most recently an Artic Air. The latter are built in Dayton Ohio. That is all they build. Mostly commercial so they have a good guarentee and a great repair shop. Initially I had a trouble with the oil pressure right after I bought it. They sent me a new pressure valve with directions on repair. When that didn't work they sent a service technician (150 miles) at no charge and he replaced the whole motor. Runs great.
    On a related vain, I would suggest an 80 gallon tank instead of a 60. If you do any continuous air tool work or sand blasting a bigger tank is the way to go.

11. johnold1938

johnold1938
    from indiana

champion 120 gal. vertical tank two stage 7hp 240v located in ill. been around forever and parts are available bought mine 3 years ago great for sand blasting back then 3,000.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine. 5HP Compressor, 1700 RPM, auto water release every hour, 75 foot cooling tower with auto water drain, electronic IR air cooler with water drain every 1/2 hour, 120 PSI to sand blast cabinet, 80 to the drop down reels, another reg and desiccant chamber where I plug in a dedicated hose for painting.
    upload_2022-12-13_15-57-16.png

williebill likes this.
  13. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I can vouch for the Quincy QT PRO Model #251CS80VCB 5HP 230V 80 gal. vertical tank with magnetic start. I bought it new 8 years ago from a local compressor company that's been in business since 1937 (family owned).
    Although rated for 175 PSI max, the dealer recommended operating at 150 PSI, which I do. The 1750 RPM Baldor motor is pretty quiet and keeps up with my needs.
    Before I bought this compressor, I used a Craftsman 30 gal. "4" HP compressor for about 30 years. The only problem I had with it was when the pressure switch stuck one night and it ran for who knows how many hours after blowing the pressure relief valve. I found it still running the next morning with the shop full of an oil fog. I replaced the pressure switch and still have it as a backup!
    Edit:
    As a lesson learned, I wired in the Quincy compressor through a 60 amp/120v coil contactor controlled by the shop light switch. Lights off - compressor off!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    57 Fargo likes this.
  14. Teebone12

Teebone12
    from San Jo Ca

A8E8C24B-A217-4CA5-9072-707C1B2F153A.jpeg 2F8B692A-516B-4FEE-A17B-BF795249EA8D.jpeg 7D7B2175-9AA1-4AF3-A708-6780BB355304.jpeg 765FE061-8C51-409F-909F-00CBD48C91CC.jpeg 612AD908-330A-4087-91E2-2BF8AD4C800D.jpeg I just bought a Eaton polar industrial plus 5 hp 80 gallon upright with 2 stage pump silent air PO1PSXXP05V0801XXX
    Couple months ago because my dads 25 year old hand me down ( US Falcon HTA-80) It finally started having a piston ring issue. I’ve had it for 20 years, what a work horse. Found oil in the air lines. Doing a rebuild on it now, just to see if I can do a rebuild on it. The Eaton is quiet compared to the FS and supply’s 160 psi 18 CFM. Was $2800.00

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023