Register now to get rid of these ads!

New project arrived today!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Got a new car delivered all the way from sunny california this morning!

its a 48 plymouth. I gotta say this was my first sight unseen purchase and my first time shipping a car across the country or anything like that and even though it took a lot of back and forth on the phone and emails and planning and all that, it was a pretty smooth process. nerve racking for sure! im glad its here finally. the guy i got it from seems real cool and was super helpful throughout the whole process. dunno if he's on the forum or not.

Its got what looks to be a nailhead v6 in it. is that a real thing? i've never heard of that before. the distributor is crazy its got space for 8 wires but only 6 attached to it (obviously...v6). 3 speed auto with a shift kit, ford 9" rear. i drove it a bit today and its got some balls for a v6. i think i'd like to try and hop it up and see if i can get a few more horses out of it.

immediate plans are to get some new whitewalls on it, and a few minor things, brakes, radio, theres some bad glass so that'll get fixed. long term goal is chopped, bagged custom. i might even keep it seafoam green...

anyways! enough blabbering. pics or it didnt happen right? first one is when it was in california, second 2 are in my driveway.

Attached Files:

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice car Steve. Looks like a mild custom. I love the wide whites (see avatar) but I dont think that car needs them. It looks fine just the way it is. Good luck.
    Paul

3. ChefMike

ChefMike

well it looks to be in great shape! and I agree I don't think it needs the white walls keep us posted

4. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Nailhead V6,whats that i never heard od one of those?,any pics?,looks like a neat car. Harvey

5. cool, ..hope you bring it to the Scrap Drive in June.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Sounds like you have a Buick odd fire V6,dont expect to get it to run nice and smooth as they are a little shakey.

7. khead47

khead47

For the life of me I can't understand how a 8cyl dizzy could work on a 6! Could someone school me here?

8. Nice ride, congrats. Looking for a new ride myself. Post pics of updates for us.

9. n847

n847

Great to see another P-15 build goin on here on the HAMB! There's a ton of infomation on here about these cars! I dig the seafoam green. I'd like to see some pics of that V-6 in there. Does it still have the stock steering and brakes? There's conversions out there for disc brakes, and Rack and Pinion steering. Let us know if theres something we can help with. I've got links to several tech threads. Be Glad you still have your front end trim and grill, cause that stuff can get spendy! Lets see some dash and interior pics! As far as the radio I just mounted an amp in the trunk and ran a set of RCA's out to the front seat and I hook my MP3 or smart phone to it with some 6x9's in the rear deck lid. I've got some other plans coming shortly but thats gonna be a work in progress!

10. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The engine is likely a 198 "fireball" v6 out of a 61,2,3 buick special. The engine is a cast iron version of the aluminum 215 with the front two cylinders lopped off. The 61 even came from the factory with v8 dizzy I believe. The same design was sold to Jeep and was referred to as the dauntless v6. They used it for many years.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know a whole lot about them, but the odd fire V-6 had uneven firing impulses due to to it basically being a V8 minus 2 cylinders and rod jounals left off. So 4 of the cylinders fired at the same degree of rotation but two of the cylinders were spaced at greater degrees of rotation in relationship to the other 4. So apparently, (as FF mentioned) the V8 distributor was able to be used by simply skipping 2 of the lugs.

12. upspirate

upspirate

I had one in a 65 Buick Special back in 1970.

Ran good til what I now believe to be a timing chain problem.

They were hard on timing gear sets I think I remember

I sold it & moved to Fla before I got it figured out and fixed

13. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

What I learn here on the HAMB. That is interesting and pretty neat. I guess we can assume how successful it was since not alot of them around anymore. :)

Neal

14. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I have one in my 62 special and while it doesn't light the tires up it is a great running little motor. The oddfire makes them sound pretty cool too.

15. upspirate

upspirate

One of the problems was it didn't run real smooth....they later redesigned the crank to have the rods on offset journals on the same throw to even out the firing and smooth the engine

16. upspirate

upspirate

17. Ya, pop that hood and take a picture.

18. farmer12

farmer12

Great project, well done! Any more pics?

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's one running in a T bucket. Btw...good luck with your Plymouth Steve.

20. thanks guys! the motor does sound pretty cool. the lake pipes are dummies, which i'm kinda bummed about but oh well. there's 2 hidden pipes running down the middle with flowmasters on em. its got a nice throaty sound. i guess it doesnt really look like a nailhead. the shape of the valve covers makes it kinda look like one to me. it is a 231 buick. the interior is pretty crazy. license plates are over holes through the floor. does anyone know if anyone sells patch panels for the floor in these or will i have to cut out my own?

more pics!

Attached Files:

21. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Nice car Steve.Hope you have a ton of fun.

22. Got my whitewalls from Coker yesterday. Got em put on this morning. 670 firestone bias plys. I think it looks way better than with those old black walls! ImageUploadedByTJJ1367010191.743484.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, gotta agree with that...!!! Now go find some 'caps...

R-

24. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

HEY! thats my license plate!!!!