Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New Mercury skirt idea

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, May 22, 2009.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one of the koolest Mercs ever and I love the Packard trim. I'm hoping
    that it will work but I want to add the fender skirt stainless before I add another
    piece of trim. I love how the Packard spear works with the fender well. I'm afraid
    that using both of them will be too much going on.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestion.

Happy Trails,

Mick

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Photoshop someone? I bet it might be just enough to balance out the skirt trim because its so short...

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

5/27/09 Just a couple more possibilities. '51 Packard trim piece with chrome strip (one straight, one curved) along top edge of bubble skirts with accents - WHICH HIGHLIGHT THE SKIRT. They all look good so it's a tough to say which is best. I do think that if you are going to keep the slanted piece on the front of the skirt this presentation is much better than the one long piece of stainless on the side of the car because it "balances" and enhances the flow of the body lines. I haven't made up my mind about the downward curve of the skirt trim, but right now I like it as it pulls my eye downward emphasizing the cars low profile and the rear bumper as it 'hugs" the ground.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  4. looks bad ass man

5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think the skirt trim looks great, especially with the spears. I'm tired of slab sided kustoms, they need trim. Even great looking cars like this. They look amazing because they're so nice, but add a little bling in the right spots... killin em. Especially since the skirt trim is parallel to the angle of the B pillar

The Packard forward spear is a nice touch, too, but I think that's just a matter of personal taste. Lots of body lines going on with the skirts and quarter. The red Merc looks killer with the packard spear because it doesn't have the skirt. The busier side of the skirted Merc doesn't call for the trim as badly.

6. jchav62

jchav62

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the photo shop job with the Packard chrome strip. Looking at the
    pictures, I like the skirt chrome idea with out the Packard trim everything is
    round and curves down and that makes the Packard piece look out of place.

I agree with you and almost everybody that I talk to says it needs something to break it
    up. I've been thinking about it for years, trying to come up with something new &
    different. That wouldn't take away from the other body lines. The packard trim works on
    Gringo's Merc because there is not anything competeing with it. Mine I have a lot more
    going on and I think that it just wouldn't look right.

Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

8. mikes51

mikes51

This reminds me of my work before I retired. It's great fun to come up with ideas, especially if someone else has to do the work. Lol.

Here's another idea, you have a nice painted scallop detail around your windows. You could have a smaller painted scallop near the stainless trim if you think it needs a little more stuff down there.

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha, ha,ha. God bless the HAMB!

I really like the idea with the trim running along the skirt. But that will take more doing then
    I might want to do $$$. A scallop would be a lot easier and would give it the same look and
    tie in with the belt line....

Thanks Mike for the feedback oops I mean idea. he,he,he!

I saw your photoshop of your front end and it was way too kool. It made me think what
    would I do.... When you get yours done, let me know and I'll start on mine....If money was no object this is what I would like to do. Maybe section her in two places and maybe hard
    top it. I guess it is just more time and money...

[​IMG]

Happy Trails,

Mick

10. I think a scallop along the top of the skirt similar to the fabricated stainless trim idea would look cool. Not sure about the Packard trim, though....might be too straight. Maybe a thin curvey trim. 56 Buick comes to mind like on the Grapevine, but that might be too much trim and too much curve....but headed in the right direction. I have a set for my Fleetline, I can chunk it in the trunk and bring it to Eureka if you wanna play with it. I also have the stock Fleetline trim that is thinner and straight if you want to play with some straight trim ideas just to goof around. A little masking tape to hold it up, stand back, rearrange, try again....could make for some giggles. LOL

11. I Like the shirt shape and THE CHROME.

Have 17" and 18" wheels with caddy caps avil

Attached Files:

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to shave the skirt down to make it fit closer to the body.
    A lot like how the skirt fits on your Merc. I think Bubble skirts can
    be kool with a little extra cut here and a shave there....

The Caddy wheels look kool! How do they work? what kind of wheel
    do you need to fit the caps? I have an offset issue that may keep me
    from running the Caddy caps because I'm running a '77 Cougar chassis and
    she is a little bit wide. I like what I see...Do you have any pictures
    showing the proportions of the wheel to the Merc?

It is kool to finally design something that you can live with. I've looked through magazines
    and books and just didn't see what I wanted. My solution was right under my nose.

Like the drag tags Did you have them at Dewey?

I hated that I missed the chance to steal it.....ha, ha, ha,...

[​IMG]

Happy Trails,

Mick

14. The skirts on the green 51 merc were made from some rear fenders of a 50 hudson we had laying around

GB & Thanks, Rick & Carol Erickson of EXK 951 852-3593
    EXTREME KUSTOMS www.ericksonskustoms.com

Attached Files: