Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member with questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DoubleClutch1, Dec 8, 2013.

1. DoubleClutch1

DoubleClutch1

Hello all!
    I am looking at a 51 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe with the fluid drive. Just wanting some info on what to look for. He told me it has been sitting sense 1970 in a temp controlled garage. Also told me he had it out last year and running. I am going to get over there this week to look at it and going to try and get it running. Just want to be able to know what to look for. thanks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. DoubleClutch1

DoubleClutch1

I guess know one can help on some info?

3. flathead4d

flathead4d

That's a pretty tough question. General answer would be to check the body and undercarriage for rust. Probably going to have to do some brake work. As for as the engine goes, if it starts and runs that's a good thing. The fluid drive trans is not something most are familiar with but they seemed to work good back in it's day. Look at wiring also. Sorry I can't be more specific but it's kind of like "what you see is what you get". Good Luck.

4. 73RR

73RR

...pretty open ended question... Obviously, a potential buyer should look at and test everything. East coast cars, of this vintage, seem to have a lot of issues with the brown death. Inspect everything. The Fluid-Drive system is a bit goofy but also fairly reliable.
    You could search for other members with similar cars and ask directly, but you are far more likely to get detailed information from some of the forums that are tailored to the vehicle, regardless of year-make-model. Remember, this is a hot-rod/custom board. Try www.p15-d24.com as a start.

5. DoubleClutch1

DoubleClutch1

Ok that for the link. I will check it out.

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

As long as the frame and body structure is solid and the car is complete, your good. Those are the main things I would look for.

7. 73RR

73RR

We all have our own definition of 'hot-rod' now don't we.....;)

Nothing wrong with the flathead six, plenty of go-fast parts available and they have good support even here on the Hamb.