Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New member starting a 33 Ford Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33highboy, Aug 18, 2015.

1. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

I'm getting ready to start a 33 ford hot rod. Can you guys weigh in on whether to keep the stock frame rails and box them instead of buying new. I am trying to build a period correct 1960 style hot rod/ highboy. I do want to drive it long distances. New or Original?? its not about the money or time, it's about the look? What do you think? Thanks

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

can you be a little more vague?
    what engine/trans/rearend etc. are you going to use?
    if you're not going to have a fire breathing monster under the hood, there is no need to box the original frame...save your money.
    ...and if you don't post pics of your car soon, I'm going to have Nads pay you a visit...capish?

3. No need to buy a new frame,Henry's will work fine. HRP

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  4. If you're building a 50s-60s traditional car you should use the original frame if it's useable. Besides, the VIN is stamped into those rails and you'll need it to register your car, depending on how Florida issues titles...

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I agree with all of the above - use the original frame. No need to box it if you are staying away from axle-snapping engines. Good luck with the project, and pics are always nice if you could post a few.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. 33highboy

33highboy
    from Florida

thanks guys all good info. here's a pic...first time in the sunlight since Jan 1966 P1010011.JPG

7. if the frame is in good shape i'd use it....but i see it has a later rear end, so some modifications have already been done to it. i'd look over any past work very carefully

8. F&J

F&J

are you kidding... :)

it already is a old time build...M/T Raders with spinners on 5.5, and has an open drive rear, angle chop...

what does/did it have for engine and trans? Had to be overhead V8..

more pics please...

falcongeorge, brad2v and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Yes more pics

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. WOW! I can't even imagine starting with such a nice car! You should be driving it by the weekend. I started with an old race car body .............the top was the only useable part....everything else had to be sourced from all over the U.S. but my frame came out from under a very nice, solid car. You have it all in one package and with no apparent rust damage to that body, I'll bet the frame is solid as a rock..use it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

watch your fucking language man...there's goddamn kids on here

:p

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

SPEAKFORYOURSELFYAOLDSOB;)

3wLarry and volvobrynk like this.
  13. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

More pics. Open the doors,hood, etc. bare it all.

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ye gods are you kidding , leave in the original frame it was born with. Too cool to put a repro or boxed frame under it. The original will be fine with any mild power. Rear wheel placement looks a little off or it may be the pic angle. Check out previous engineering closely though. Hope it's still got the centre X still intact . More than likely got parallel rear springs.

15. 35cab

35cab

Jeeez! Great looking car, as the experts have said it looks like you have everything you need there, providing there has not been too much butchering going on with the frame and it is square, go with it.
    Why is your friend taking pictures of the sky when there is a 33 Ford with a gorgeous chop to photograph?
    You are a lucky man. Watching this thread with interest. More photos please.

clem and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A very fine car for fixin.

17. skirtless33

skirtless33

One place to check is right rear frame rail just before it goes over axle. Most original frames rust there.

18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

WTF....nice find...

19. Wednesday Thursday Friday ??? But its Monday. :) Yep ... nice find x 2

brad2v likes this.
  20. brad2v

brad2v

Looks fantastic. Nice chop. I can't imagine losing the fenders, they look to be very solid, but it ain't my car.

21. Yep, that's a nice place to start.

If the frame isn't fucked up I'd use it, even if it needed some fixing here and there.

22. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Shouldn't you use at least a Capital G. He is the master & creator of the universe!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Oh! and I forgot Great '33! more pics please.

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a VERY nice old Ford. Please don't be shy about asking for help with any area of the build that you might not be familiar with. Sometimes you see nice old cars end up with say, a goofy Mustang II front end only because the builder wasn't experienced with hot rods and didn't have anyone to ask.

I have faith in you that you can handle it and have one hell of a nice old car.

Good luck and please holler if you need anything.

-Abone.

PS. Hit the search button for lots of 33, 34 Ford picture threads, like this one, for inspiration.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lets-see-those-33-34-coupe-pics.285697/

kidcampbell71 and Drewfus like this.
  25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at it again, that front end look quite a bit too wide, is it stock? Do you have any pics of the front suspension?Don't worry, if it is wrong, it is all fixable.

DAMN, that is a nice car...

-Abone.

26. WOW! What a nice piece to start with....This should be very interesting to watch.....

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bite me with a Capital B...and keep your religious crap off the Hamb with a Capital H

kidcampbell71 and X38 like this.
  28. Actually you brought it up first

kidcampbell71 and 3wLarry like this.
  29. brady1929

brady1929

Larry, go to your quiet place and breathe deep. Maybe look at the Hot Rod Hill Climb pics again.

kidcampbell71, clem and 3wLarry like this.