Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New member. Searching for grandfathers old ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searchingforaclassic, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

I told her she’s beyond help lol. At least she takes it well

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. You do realize you should NEVER make a woman angry, right?

Joe Blow, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Says who???? She is so beautiful when she’s mad though lol

4. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

Was reading this over and the suspense was killing me until @Searchingforaclassic filled us all in on “the story”... well, after I came too and picked myself back off the floor I just couldn’t believe this!! Cool car, grandfather and story!
    Keep the search up.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

And that right there, my friend, is the best thing I have read in this whole thread. If it sparks a replica build with your son, it will have all been immensely worthwhile, whether the original can be located or not...:)

Hey boys, I think we hooked another couple................Excellent work...:D:D:D

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamber @Johnny Hotrod - BC (John Foxley) is the BC builder behind the 3 windows with somewhat similar paint and stance...and just to twist the eyeballs a little he made 2...many will remember the 34 3 window Highboy he built that Gene Winfield painted...

John-foxley-1932-ford-rad-rose13.jpg

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Rad_Rose

https://www.google.com/amp/s/drivin...-cool-for-low-money-is-what-its-all-about/amp

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  7. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Oh absolutely. When I started all this I came in with very low expectations mainly because the picture was 50+ yrs old and obviously I had zero idea about the history of the car. So this all has been mind blowing to me

I’ve always been hooked on the customs and hot rods of that era mainly because it was embedded in me at a young age and I still remember most of the stories on how poor kids would customize there cars in the 40’ 50’s and 60’s. So it’s always been something I’ve been drawn too. I don’t have any projects in this style right now but hopefully soon.

My oldest son already hangs out with me in the garage so I know he will be into this as well or I hope so anyway

egads, loudbang, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  8. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Those cars are sexy I do have to say

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

An amazing car and story. Incredible that his "friends" left the car in CA with the keys in it and it didn't disappear in 3 hours, let alone 3 weeks! After reading they bought another Hot Rod for $900, I thought I was going to read that these 2 rich kids in Hot Rods were going to live the life of rock stars, cruising Socal in 2 Hot Rods, meeting Girls galore for a week or two before driving BOTH cars back home.
    Someone suggested reaching out to Gene Winfield to see if he recalls the car and knows anything. That's a good call.

My first call would be to long time author and Hot Rod historian Pat Ganahl. His fantastic "Lost Hot Rods" books took many hours of research and detective work to find long lost cars such as this one. Perhaps he looked for this one and it was/still is on his radar but he came to a dead end? Decades as a Hot Rodder in the magazine industry as well as residing in Socal and having developed many contacts makes me hopeful he possibly has some knowledge.
    "Paging @pgan, please pick up the white courtesy phone".

I'm hoping it's one of those stories where it had engine trouble in the 60's, got torn apart for a rebuild and then life got in the way of the owner and sat untouched-surviving a 70's/80's "updating".

A recreation build would be awesome.

One things for sure, if that car is found mothballed in a garage somewhere still sporting the Watson paint and pinstriping, it'll be like opening King Tut's tomb!

Bigdavid, nosford, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  10. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

If it was under a car cover in the corner of someone’s garage would be the best thing ever. And it would a time capsule for sure even if it has been altered.

I’ve definitely got the itch to build one but I’m gonna try to be patient for a minute or two lol

Oh and they were not friends after they returned without his car. When talking to him I could tell he was still a little upset that someone would do that.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    loudbang, Stogy, R A Wrench and 2 others like this.
  11. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Just emailed Pat Ganahl we shall see.

12. That was a fun way to spend the last hour. Great story! Looking forward to the next chapter.

egads, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Shame on me for not remembering this sooner ( danged CRS) . I recall an article that appeared in either CKD or TRK magazines a few years ago regarding a ‘ 32? Coupe that was built sometime in the 60’s then changed hands a few times over the next 40 plus years. I believe it’s still on the east coast, Pennsylvania I think.

loudbang, pprather, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Anymore more info on this so I can do some digging

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. I forgot to mention that the car is once again purple.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HAMB, and you have done a great job of collecting so much "pre- Grandpa" info on the car, but it could be a dead end if you can't get family info on who/where the car went.
    You should take ALL this (pics & history) over to the Custom Car Chronicles and post it.
    CCC Forum - Custom Car ChronicleCustom Car Chronicle
    These guys are much more "Autorama" oriented and make it a life's work tracking down lost customs. At the very least, they would love to know Phil's story.

18. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

I will do that for sure. Once Phil gets me all his stuff I’ll be posting everything.

19. Well, it seems the current owner was in the process of dismantling the car for rebuild when he pulled out the glove box and found the original paint color which was purple. After doing some more digging he found an old business card from Larry Watson, (I think) I’m a tad fuzzy on the gist of the article. However, when he realized he had a legit 60’s hot rod he set about putting it back to its original configuration. The real kicker was that he found some of the original paint in the possession of Gene Winfield of all people. ( After Watson passed away his friends went over to straighten out his shop and they were allowed to grab any momentos they wanted and Winfield took the paint as it was still useable.

20. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Was all this in the magazine article?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. atch

atch

I sent Pat an email yesterday so he's probably fed up with this car. I hope not, as he probably has more pictures in his files (and remembers most/all of them) than any one place on the planet. If anyone can fill in "the rest of the story" it would be him.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

I hope he is cool with the emails lol. I didn’t know anyone else had sent one I would have waited. I hope the blanks can be filled in for sure

23. Yes, it’s all in the article.

24. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

Now off to find that article

25. @chryslerfan55 , can you detail your message a little? The acronyms you used for the two magazines. Could you spell out those names?

'I recall an article that appeared in either CKD or TRK magazines a few years ago regarding a ‘ 32? Coupe that was built sometime in the 60’s then changed hands a few times over the next 40 plus years. I believe it’s still on the east coast, Pennsylvania I think.'

Thanks.

26. Sure. It’s Car Kulture Deluxe and Traditional Rod and Kulture.

27. Searchingforaclassic

Searchingforaclassic
    from Kentucky

I can find anything about it anywhere

28. grumpy65

grumpy65

Me either...................o_O

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's already on CCC but an update may jar some brain cells...

30. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Hope you find the car.